What Were the Three Best Concerts You Ever Saw?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Depeche Mode - Rose Bowl, June, 18, 1988

Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, Living Colour - LA Colisium, September 1989

U2 - Sun Devil Stadium, Fall of 1989

2. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Frank Zappa 1988 - Auditorium Theater - Chicago

A Night For Gloria benefit 2001 - Hollywood Palladium - Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Thelonious Monster

Rolling Stones 1978 - Soldier Field, Chicago

Honorable mentions: Iggy Pop, Stranglers, Sex Pistols, Cop Shoot Cop, Jane's Addiction, Talking Heads, White Stripes, the Who, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The Who - Hara Arena, Dayton Ohio August 1971
    Rolling Stones - Rubber Bowl, Akron Ohio July 1972
    Replacements - Fox Theater, Portland Oregon June 1991

All three of these shows were transcendent rock n' roll, and for that shall never be forgotten.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The Replacements, The Cat's Cradle, Chapel Hill, NC 1983? They were touring behind Let It Be. This might have been 1984. I was fifteen and got in the club anyway. You could do that then. They were drunk, but they also played from the heart that night as well. I'll never forget it.

R.E.M. - Reckoning Tour, Page Auditorium, Duke University, 1984 - They were utterly magic that night. One of the first real concerts I ever saw, and still one of the best.

Kilkenny Cats - Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA 1986? A now forgotten band who could put on a seriously good show.

Love & Rockets - Athens, GA sometime in the 80s - I was on drugs, and that plus the music made for a pretty trippy evening.

Galaxie 500 - Athens, GA - the On Fire tour - They were great.

Unknown Local Jazz Band - Athens, GA - late 80s. This group of music students did a residency at a local club one summer. Can't remember their name, or if they even had one, but they were seriously good.

My Bloody Valentine - Athens, GA 1991? Deafening. Transcendent.

Prince - Memphis, TN - 2001? Maybe the greatest concert I've ever seen. It was like seeing Elvis or something. I've never seen someone with that much charisma and musicianship turn an arena into an intimate space the way Prince did.

Taylor Swift - Fearless Tour - Lexington, KY 2009? Comparable to Prince in some ways, minus the guitar soloing. But able to connect with an audience of that size like few performers I've seen. And the closest thing to Beatlemania I've ever witnessed in person.

Those Darlins - Memphis, TN 2011? Came closer to recapturing the spirit of that first Replacements show than just about anyone else I've seen

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

BOC

Night Ranger, with Brad Gillis playing the piano part to Sister Christian on the guitar. Unreal!

Iron Maiden

All in St. Louis.

6. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Cream 1967
    Doors 1968
    Bowie Ziggy Stardust Tour(also saw him sing All The Young Dudes with Mott The Hoople)
    Beach Boys 1971 Carnegie Hall
    Led Zep 72 or 73

full moon likes this.
  7. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Genesis - The Lamb, Masonic Auditorium, Detroit
    Mountain/Wishbone Ash, Eastown Theatre. Detroit
    Emerson, Lake , & Palmer, first US tour, Eastown Theatre, Detroit

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Oh man, I would have loved that. Was it in Philly? Where? The one I mentioned above was at the Tritone. Ever heard of it? On South, between 15th & 16th.

9. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

1. The Police - Special Police Go Platnium Show _ 16-01-1981 / Los Angeles, CA / Variety Arts Theatre / USA

Man In A Suitcase, Shadows In The Rain, When The World Is Running Down and Roxanne appeared on the video "Around The World". Man In The Suitcase was later released on "Message In A Box".
    Miles: "It's a small place, so we decided to put on a special show and announced that only blondes would be admitted. We didn't mind whether they dyed their hair, sprayed it, or anything else, as long as it ended up blonde. We did a tie-up with a local wig supplier, so that anyone who didn't want to spray or dye their hair could still get into the concert by putting on a wig [...] The guys topped off the show by doing an encore and coming back on stage all wearing black wigs" After the show The Police were awarded with a gold record award for "Zenyatta Mondatta".

2. Pink Floyd - The Wall _ 07-02-1980 / Los Angeles, CA / Sports Arena

Opening night, maybe one of the greatest nights of my life. I felt like I was at the center of the world this week. Loved the Floyd. Number One album and completely in love.

3. Neil Young Solo Acoustic _ 19-03-1999 / Berkeley Community Theatre

Never seen Neil solo before. Didn't know 75% of the songs. It was amazing. I think Neil is the best ever now. A genius.

10. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

That post is really, really hard to read with the black style. I had to highlight it like it was a spoiler. :)

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

All those were in three concerts? Wow.

12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Pink Floyd, Hot Tuna, Leon Russell - UCSD Baseball Field - Oct 18, 1970
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung Tour -Anaheim Convention Center - June 19, 1971
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Humble Pie - Hollywood Bowl - July 19, 1971
    Yes, Edgar Winter, Eagles - Long Beach Arena - Aug 8, 1972
    Procol Harum - Hollywood Bowl - Sep 21, 1973
    Frank V Zappa - Roxy Theater LA - Dec 10. 1973
    Yes - SD Sports Arena - Mar 21, 1974
    Genesis - Santa Monica Civic Theater - Mar 22, 1974
    King Crimson - Shrine LA - Jun 19 1974

Sorry but it's hard to pick. Yes 74 would probably win because I was invited by the band and spent a lot of time with them, but discounting that it's hard to pick.

13. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

so what were the 3 best concerts you saw?

14. bodine

bodine Senior Member

1. Hugh Masekela, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, BB King, the Byrds, Booker T and the MGs, Tim Buckley, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival--August 2, 1969
    2. Steve Miller Band, Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Philadelphia, May 15, 1970
    3. (Tie) Cedar Walton, Bobby Hutcherson, Billy Higgins. Dexter Gordon, Sarah Vaughan, Miles Davis--Los Angeles, 1985; Stevie Wonder, the Rolling Stones (Philadelphia, July 1972)

15. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Wow, 3 best? I dunno...here's a few, how do you choose?

- Roger Waters- Sep. 6, 2006- Holmdel, NJ- Waters' 63rd birthday, opener of the North America DSoTM tour, and we're about 16 rows back in front of White/Kilminster

- Pearl Jam- Sept. 8, 1998, monster setlist, we couldn't give away the 5 extra tickets we had for beers. Unbelievable show.
    Honorable mention: 10/31/09 Philly Spectrum, last show in the old Spectrum, 41 song setlist.

- Jimmy Page & Black Crowes- Oct 12, 99 Roseland, NYC- great setlist of Zeppelin tunes, BC tunes and covers, blew my mind when they did "Shapes of Things"

- Nirvana- November 26, 1993- Morocco Shrine Auditorium, Jacksonville, Fl- I still can't believe this show even happened, yet it did. Between the taping and airing of "Unplugged". Place held about 3,000.

REM- April, 29, 1989- Miami Arena, Fl.

- Stevie Ray Vaughn- Oct. 1983- UF Bandshell, Gainesville, Fl- free show, Texas Flood tour, the blues was just about dead at this time. Played a bit of guitar back then, after this show almost quit playing.
    It was so intimidating watching him play that evening, and realizing I'd never be that good.

- Ozzy Osbourne/Def Leppard- Sept. 11, 1981- Sunrise Music Theatre, beginning my senior year in high school. Ozzy and Randy Rhoads were great, and I was a big Def Leppard fan at that point.

- The Kinks- August, 1980- Sunrise Music Theatre, Fl. They must of played 3 hours, they just went on and on, and the energy level never seemed to drop one bit the entire show.

Others: Allman Brothers- Mar. 26, 2009- Beacon Theater, 40th anniversary show, Black Sabbath reunion show Feb. '99, East Rutherford, NJ, Sabbath w/Dio, Feb. 1982 Hollywood Sportatorium, Sting- 1st solo tour in Gainesville, Fl, a bunch of Neil Young shows Miami '91, Holmdel '97, United Palace Dec. 12, 2007 (the fire show), Springsteen rehearsal show of the Devils and Dust tour, April 2005, Paramount Theater, Asbury Park, James Gang, Beacon Theater, NYC 2006, U2-April '85 Jacksonville Coliseum, Iron Maiden Jax Coliseum '84, Van Halen- last show of Diver Down tour proper, Dec. '82, opener of the "1984" tour, January, in the Jacksonville Coliseum.

16. jim mallett

jim mallett Active Member

queen and mott the hoople in OKC, Oklahoma, 1974

robin trower, king crimson and ten years after, OKC, 1974

frank zappa/mothers, OKC 1973

nothing like the rush of being young…i have seen some great shows since though.

17. davers

davers Forum Resident

King Sunny Ade, Ju Ju Music tour, Seattle 1983

U2, War tour, Seattle 1983

REM, Reckoning tour, Seattle 1984

So many just barely trailing, inluding Springsteen Tunnel Of Love Express 1988, The Who 1980, Black Sabbath/BOC 1980, Richard Barone solo 1988, Police w/ Fixx and Thompson Twins 1983, Los Lobos 1985, Tears For Fears 1985, Beach Boys 2012, and Neil Young with Crazy Horse November 2012!

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Kiss second Melbourne show 1997

Monster Magnet 1995

Radiohead last night.

19. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Wilco
    Richard Thompson
    Neville Brothers

All here in Brisbane, the first two at The Tivoli, a smallish but great venue.

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Bruce Springsteen - This year
    Cheap Trick - This Year
    Neil Young - 3 years ago

21. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

On the jazzy side of things:

Frank Sinatra with the Buddy Rich Big Band
    The Buddy Rich Big Band (twice)
    Pat Metheny

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Plant and Page the unledded tour mid 90 s
    The black crowes in a beautiful theatre on the Three Snakes and one charm tour
    Pearl Jam right before VS came out
    Smashing pumpkins SD tour
    The white stripes Elephant tour
    Motörhead
    Iron Maiden

Too many to mention here but those really stick out.

23. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Mine would be

Blondie - Portsmouth Guildhall 10th Sept 1978
    The Jam/The Dickies/Patrik Fitzgerald - Portsmouth Guildhall 28th Nov 1978
    Marc & the Mambas - Duke Of York, London 29th April 1983

24. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Bruce - Winterland in S.F., Darkness Tour
    Gillian Wesh & Dave Rawlings - The Harrow & The Harvest Tour, Madison WI
    Random Bar Band - Random night on Frenchman St NO

25. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I attended Jethro Tull shows of both Aqualung (William & Mary) and Thick as a Brick (Virginia Tech). Both concerts were terrific. These were the first concerts that I attended that added theatrics, which are now so commonplace. In Tull's case the theatrics were secondary to the music. I cannot say the same about it for current groups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.