Acoustic panel placement, where are they most effective

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I've experienced the same. With side, limited front, and back wall treatments adding more over the screen actually made things worse, which is great because the screen is my computer monitor for picking music.

As with anything, every room is different. If I replaced a side panel with a glass plate it would certainly change the sound. That is why there is a panel there in the first place. Someone's anecdotal example is not reason enough to be a rule for all to follow.

Helom, Riotvan and bever70 like this.
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Something I probably add to every room treatment thread that I participate in, treat the room with decay to the owner's taste. Everyone's taste will be different. Some will like a live room, others will like a dry room, most will be somewhere in the middle.

Helom, Riotvan and Leigh like this.
  3. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Without any side wall panels, that is, with just side wall reflections, you will likely get an uneven balance because of the distance each reflection has to travel. Whilst, according to my post 18 they will probably both be added to the direct sound and offer no directional clues, because the left reflection takes longer to get to your ear it will have lost more energy then the right reflection. This means your left ear will hear a lower loudness then the right, moving the phantom image to the right.

If you don't notice this then I suppose there's nothing to worry about. If you do, there is the balance control if you have one. Or you can use panels to stop both reflections, or a reflective panel on the left to equalise the reflections - this would be located the same distance as between the right speaker and wall.

4. Riotvan

Riotvan Forum Resident

Yep, though i must admit Arqen's advice has been spot on in my experience. I usually tend to gravitate to advice coming professionals in studio acoustics.

5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I have 2 panels approximately 12”x48” behind me, with my chair a few feet away. This was by far the best position after trying them behind the speakers etc.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Are they side by side or spaced ? Are they framed Rockwool or acoustic foam ? Is the 48¨ side paralell or perpendicular to the floor ( curious about disposition).

7. Fruff76

Pretty much side by side, about 6” apart. They are perpendicular to the floor, long side vertical. Made by GIK. Got them for a great price at AXPONA.

Impression (2") Acoustic Panel Diffusor / Absorber - GIK Acoustics

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

9. Fruff76

Nice, I’d post a pic of mine but it’s a pain to figure out

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Ceiling and rear wall behind speakers

11. The Pinhead

You posted a link; same thing. Lovely panels !

Fruff76 likes this.
  12. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you guys think of using cd shelves behind speakers as a way of absorption? I have my cd collection in a seperate room it consists of 6 ikea cd shelves. I was thinking of placing 3 on each side of the speakers right behind them against the wall...

13. Riotvan

Riotvan Forum Resident

That's just a hard surface, it won't provide absorption. Maybe some diffusion if the rest of your room is very reflective and you space out your cd's so there open spots. Honestly though it might make things worse due to rattle of the cd cases from low frequencies. Also uneven diffusion, there's a reason why making a good one is either expensive or difficult.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

For absorbers, point of first reflection on left and on right.

Assuming the game is two only,

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

CD shelves won't do much of anything in the way of absorption. They'll be mostly like a bright, reflective surface. The wall behind the speakers though isn't that crucial. With front firing speakers, sound has to bounce off the wall behind the and then reach that wall behind the speakers and then bounce of that and return to you. By then there's not much HF content in it anyway, but it has crossed the direct sound multiple times creating comb filtering. In a small space where the back and front walls aren't too far apart, absorption back there can matter more. But I'd deal first with direct reflections and those direct reflective surfaces that are nearest to you listening position and to the speakers -- wall behind you, side walls, ceiling, floor.

The Pinhead and Phono Groove like this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'd set up a parallel gobo style free standing panel on the left side near the child gate to create some kind of symmetry. I'd also ditch the coffee table and all that stuff between you and the speakers. That's not doing your imaging or frequency response any favors. But mostly sind it looks like your back up against a wall behind you and you said that was windows, I'd move closer to the speakers and treat the wall behind with broadband absorption. I'd also thinking about flutter echoes. When you walk around the room clapping your hands, do you hear any "ping" type of echoes anywhere? Gotta find a why to kill those. Those make a room sound edgy and bright and totally mess up imaging.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I will turn it around the other way. The couch by the wall with a panel horizontally placed on the back of the couch and the speakers in front of the three large windows. I'll also try placing a panel on the nearest wall as a first reflection, I think this is my best option with what I have...

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I just had a consultation with Gik and they recommended scatter plated monsters for front and rear and the 244's for side reflections.
    I can't afford to do all that in one go so I asked which two I should start with. There response was to start at the back and work my way forward.
    I decided to go with the 6" alphas for the rear.
    Can't wait to get them.

chervokas likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Those look great! You did an outstanding job getting the fabric even and smooth.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

Well; they are the DIY TYPE really. A window manufacturer sells them for less than you would spend if you DIY them down here. He buys the rockwool, wood, and fabric in large amounts.

timind likes this.
  21. John

John Senior Member

I think others have covered the reflection points, I would recommend covering the TV with a blanket next time you listen to see if you like that better. Also, I noticed a nice sonic improvement when I moved all the CDs out of the listening room. You may want to try that as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.