Any Video Gamers here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -=Rudy=-, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

Just a quick question to see if I have any fellow gamers around here. It can be anything from a video game hooked to the TV, a game on the computer, online gaming, etc.

I don't play as much as I used to, but I recently got a good deal on a used Gamecube on half.com. It doesn't seem to be that big of a leap from Nintendo64, but my 4-year-old is doing a heck of a good job with hand/eye coordination moving Mario around the screen.

I'm not into "wars" between competing game systems. It's been my opinion that you buy a game console for the *games* available for it, not technical reasons. I own all the Nintendo consoles going back to the original...and to get the Sonic the Hedgehog games, I still have a Sega Genesis console. I've looked at the others (PS2, Xbox), but I'm not into the type of games they sell for them. And if I want online gaming, I'll go back to the computer.

Recent favorite computer game: Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (a very addicting game for Rudy). I recently picked up a SimCity3000 and a Tiger Woods golf game, since both were on clearance for about $8.

I'm afraid to get into some of the online games, like the card games at Yahoo. I could see spending many hours there. I do enjoy some of the games at the Shockwave site ( http://www.shockwave.com ). The 3D Pool game is really nice, and I enjoy mostly the "puzzle" games. The game Collapse, especially, is very addicting.

One of my favorites is probably no longer online. Berkeley Systems (who used to make the After Dark screen savers) had a live online game called Acrophobia, where you competed against others to come up with the most clever acronym. You'd be given a series of letters and a subject, and 60 seconds to think up a winning acronym. You could not vote on your own, but you voted for your favorite of the other contestants. Great fun while it lasted!

One of these days I'll have a large screen TV. Would like a big front projector to get some life-sized action. :D The Gamecube uses Dolby ProLogic II (which works fine on my Sony ES receiver with the older ProLogic)...it's neat to hear some of the baddies approaching from behind. :D

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

My PC came with a bunch of games, including Pinball, which is kinda neat. Almost never have time for it anymore, but it's better than some of the other crap they installed(Solitiare). Video games? If I don't have time for Pinball, not a chance there. One of the reasons I believe CD sales have gone steadily down the past few years is because of video games. Kids seem to really enjoy them, hours at a time, and music has become a secondary thing for them.

ED:cool:

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I haven't used my PC (windows) at home for a little while but was a big fan on Medal of honour, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and all the Half-Life engine games plus a big fan or real time Strategy games. On the Mac I have a few RTS games but don't play games as much as I did a year ago.

All the best - Andrew

4. vex

vex New Member

I love video games! My free time is always being fought over by my love of music and video games. Too little time, too much music and too many video games!

I used to play PC games exclusively until I got the original Playstation. Now I have the PS2 which gets most of the hours these days. Lately its been The Sims and GT3.

Before the PC was my Atari 800XL, and before that was the arcades. Ah, the good ol' days...

5. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Oh my god Rudy, I was getting ready to start this very thread in the off topic section but I thought I would check here to see what was going on. Looks like I was thread smacked... or something.

6. -=Rudy=-

Well don't take it TOO personal! :D

I actually have an older version of Monopoly where you can do multi-player across a network or the internet. Still haven't found any willing participants. I believe my Scrabble runs the same way.

7. Beatlelennon65

I have had the Atari 2600, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation, and now Playstation 2. I lost interest in Nintendo because of all the kiddy games and the blurry graphics on the N64. I really like my PS2. Medal of Honor and Timesplitters 2 are two great first person shooters. Return to Clastle Wolfenstein is coming for PS2 soon, and I cant wait. I also enjoy Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, and Baseball Games. Two games guaranteed to keep you glued to the screen for HOURS are SSX and SSX Tricky. These are snowboarding games and they are 2 of the most fun games I have ever played.
    Rudy- Pick up a PS2 and go down to Ballbusters and rent a couple of games, I think you will be impressed. There are enough games for everybody.

8. -=Rudy=-

I'm not big into the racing or "sports" games at all. I could sit and play Legend of Zelda for weeks, though, and we're trying to crack the latest Mario game here. I wish one of the software companies would port something like Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 to a video game platform. I like to get away from the computer. Super Nintendo had the original SimCity. Played that for weeks...I'd set it up, leave it running all day, come home after work and see what has happened to it.

9. vex

vex New Member

I usually don't care much for sports-related games, but I was absolutley addicted to SSX Tricky on the PS2. I played that game more than any other in recent memory. In fact, I would have to rank it up there with the best video games ever made. Every aspect of the game is top-notch, but I really dig the DTS surround-sound. It really helps place you in the middle of the action. I wish more games would use DTS for their soundtracks! I guess GTA - Vice City has this but I don't want to start that game until I finish GTA3.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

GTA3 is AWESOME! I play NHL 2003 and UT for the PC.

I used to host a server for UT. It was a lot of fun to go home, saddle up, kill a few online buddies, and then have dinner. Those were the days.

11. Beatlelennon65

Vex- What is your high score on SSX Tricky for that first track? I must have played that track 300 times on (whats that mode called) tricky mode (the one where you try for the highest score by getting the colored crystals. I scored over a million points and I am just curious what some other high scores are.
    I enjoyed both GTA 3 and Vice City, but I never had the patience to play more than 2 or 3 missions. I had more fun just killing everybody. That got old after awhile though.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've never found a video game more enjoyable than PERFECT DARK or 007 GOLDENEYE on N64, even with the superior graphics of the PS2, XBox, and more recent computers. Those two games had just enough puzzle-solving amid the carnage to really make finishing a level an accomplishment, but not impossible. The inability to save ramped up the intensity level, and gameplay wasn't burdened down with too many options, weapons, etc.

Of course, I've never seen (or heard!) a more amazing game than HALO on the XBox, with a full-blown surround sound and large screen television. But in the end, I don't enjoy it as much as PERFECT DARK or 007.

PERFECT DARK contained the only surprise in a video game that made my heart really, really jump. On one of the early levels, a helicopter outside the building you're exploring spots you, a megaphone voice roars through the glass, and bullets shatter the exterioir windows. The shock of it was so thorough I must have yelped. I hadn't seem anything like that in a video game before, and I was totally unprepared.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My son loves his GameCube and is patiently waiting for the release of Zelda in 2 weeks.

14. -=Rudy=-

Did you preorder Wind Waker and get the promo Zelda Ocarina Of time 2-pack? I will probably wait on the new game a bit...I found a cheap copy of that Zelda promo on eBay. That new Master Quest version is supposedly harder, so it'll take me a few months to get through that one! :)

Heck, that Super Mario Sunshine is harder than it looks. I'm going without a strategy guide this time!

The upcoming F-Zero for GameCube looks neat. I don't care for sports games, but I had that on SNES and N64 and played them a lot. I also had StarFox on N64, but someone borrowed it and I haven't gotten it back yet.

Wish they had more puzzle/logic games. For the kids, I'll probably end up getting something like the Spongebob, Rugrats and/or Jimmy Neutron games. Waiting to snipe these very cheaply on eBay...

15. JohnG

I have to go pre-order that this week. My son's birthday is next week (10) and he knows about the bonus disc :D

JohnG

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

My Son loves PS2...Just got ademo of "Rocky" in their PS2 Magazine. Had a blast...looks like a fun game. He's really into the racing games...of course. The DVD player is a great plus!

17. Michael

GTA 3 Vice City is an extremely violent game!

18. -=Rudy=-

Our local Toys-B-Us ran out of them early on the first morning they were available. I don't know if they got more in or not--I told the guy that there was no reason to preorder it if I didn't get the free game disc! :) I think I saw a Best Buy ad a few weeks ago that said the demo was available via preorder, but using a "rebate" system.

I haven't bothered to check if it's available elsewhere, since I got one cheap on eBay.

19. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Dreamcast, X-Box, and PS2.... I love them all....

20. Michael

My son has PS2, Dreamcast and the Original Nintendo...Doesn't like XBox, Why, I dunno? Something about controller size and load time? Here PS2 rules the roost...

21. JohnG

I was able to pick up the Zelda bonus disc this morning at my local Blockbuster. They reserved the new Zelda for $15 as well.

In my house we have GameCube, N64, Sega and the original Nintendo machine.

If I was gonna buy a system just for myself I'd get an X-Box but I don't have the time for video games these days.

JohnG

22. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

GTA3 is really great. I doubt I'll find a better game. I'm waiting for vice city on pc.

23. Michael

I's definetly popular alright!

24. vex

vex New Member

You know, I couldn't tell you what my high score was... I guess I could go boot up the game and check it out, but I'm too lazy. I didn't score any outrageous points, that's for sure. I liked to try for the faster time rather than more points, but I enjoyed doing that as well.

GTA3 kicks booty! I used to just wander around the city raising Cain and hiding from cops, only recently have I started trying to go through the missions. The game is a blast no matter how you play it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.