DCC Archive Attn: Bob Seger fans / Stranger in Town - digitally remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Sep 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Found out (I have another Release Sheet here) that this is being released on September 25 2001. It's a mid priced, 24 bit digitally remastered version. The release sheet states: "Seger is the 8th most played artist at Classic Rock radio. Marketing funds available for positioning. Product will be stickered to tell consumers that these classics now sound even better than ever."

Not much is available in the way of who remastered it, etc. It's on Capitol Records / EMI Music.

But it's important to note that it REPLACES the original version and states: "This newly remastered version will now replace the original version. Therefore consider the original "Stranger in Town" (C21Y-07777-46074-2-1) now no longer available."

Considering the history of remastered albums on CD, maybe it's time to hunt down the first release? :(

Just thought I'd better share the news... there may be a mad scramble to pick up the old stock....

:(

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Better pick the original issue up. It was mastered flat from the master tape with no computer "fixing". The level is a bit low, but we know now that all we have to do is turn it up a little, right?

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Steve -- How come DCC never released Stranger in Town? And wasn't a DCC release of Against the Wind scrapped? It's a shame that Night Moves was the only Seger album to be released as a DCC gold disc. Personally, I'd love to see (or rather, hear) DCC remastered versions of Live Bullet, Against the Wind, Stranger in Town and The Distance.

4. Steve Hoffman

The Bob S. folks didn't want to do another one. I also think they were mad at Capitol about something...

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Steve, do you know anything about the OTHER Bob S. CDs? Are they all straight transfers?

Well anyway, I'm scrambling for ALL the CDs - even if they are made from safeties, they will probably be better than the remastered ones!

6. Steve Hoffman

Gary, as far as I know, the original CD's are all straight transfers. Now, that doesn't mean they all sound great, but they are accurate as to the sound on the tapes. The Seger folks all hate the sound of these Capitol CD's. What they don't realize, is that the CD's sound just like the tapes!

If you want to play mastering engineer, go for it. You can compare the "Night Moves" Capitol CD with the DCC Gold CD version just for an education. The Capitol version is like the tape, with those weird drops in volume and strange song to song EQ changes. The DCC version is of course, different. :D

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Quoth Steve
    Well, maybe they *do* realize that, and realize that something needs to be done to improve that sound...!

Sometimes straight transfers are good, sometimes they are not. I don't care what anyone says - Substitute on MBBB sounds like total ****. Even if that is what the tape sounds like. I'm *very* glad that it is "tweaked" on some releases...

Of course, I Can't Explain sounds damn good on that CD. So you win some, you loose some.

Brian Vollrath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.