Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I've posted this before, so I've just cut and pasted this from an old thread. :)
    I apologize to the others that don't care about this, but he asked, so....

I mailed away for tickets to see the Beatles in Chicago, August 12th 1966. A couple of days after sending away, the newspaper said that the show was sold out , but low and behold, a few days later two tickets showed up. The HIGHLINE seats...$5.75.
    The Stones charged $6.50 a month earlier. My cousin took me to that Stones concert, so I got Beatles tickets as a make good thing, but as you can see, I ripped him off for 75 cents. :)

They turned out to be good seats . First row balcony on the side of the International Amphitheater, looking down on John's side, clear view of all of them, maybe 75 feet away at a slight downward angle. A much better view than being 30 or forty rows back on the main floor.

I admit that I could care less at that point about the Remains, the Ronettes, Bobby Hebb, or the Cyrkle , all who we sat through waiting for the Beatles. We were there for the Beatles.

They're introduced and coming running down some steps to the stage and a million flashbulbs go off at once turning the inside concert into a kind of Frankensteins lab version of daylight. Plenty of screaming and mania and a palpable feeling of electricity and teen energy out of control.

I remember that they wore their green bell bottomed stage suits with red shirts. Bell bottoms seemed alien at the time, but of course in a few months they became THE THING.

My memory is that I could hear them well. Maybe it was just the luck of where we were sitting, but I also remember that the Beatles were at a slight ebb at this date in time right around "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby's" 45 release. They were slightly less teenyboppers at this month in time,(and things could be measured in months in this era) but right before their ascension to the next level ..rock deities with the release of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and Sgt. Pepper,etc.
    My take on it is that there was a small window there where the teenboppers weren't QUITE as enthused and the band could be heard.

I also remember looking around before the show started and seeing quite a few college age guys in sportsjackets with dates, or at least juniors or seniors in high school with dates. They probably were there against their better judgement , but...whatever it took in those days. There were more proto hippies at the Stones concert.
    The Beatles were way more savvy and slick in concert, the Stones more punk rock.

I wish that I could describe in detail how every song that they did sounded, but I would be lying, because I don't remember many specifics. They DID sound great in general though.

Random weird memories:
    I remember Paul getting hit hard in the face with a pack of cigarettes that somebody threw at him while he was singing "Yesterday". He just shrugged it off and kept going.

I remember thinking that they all looked pasty white..especially Ringo, and for some goofy reason I remember thinking at the time that George's hair in the back was slightly wavy.
    Pretty profound stuff, huh ?
    I think that they were on and off in about 35 minutes . The setlist in 1966 is pretty standard so there isn't much point in posting it.

I've been to way better musical concerts but this show was life changing for me and the concert highlight of my life, because for 35 minutes the Beatles were playing and singing together, in a room with me.Talk about priceless.

And... my parents and aunt and uncle dropped us off and went to eat and picked us up after the concert because my cousin and I were too young to drive. Thanks folks!

I still have my ticket stub, tour book , concert flyer and concert program. I was delighted to pick up one of those rehash Beatles magazines a couple of years ago and there was a color picture of the Beatles on stage , taken at MY show at almost the exact same angle that our seats were at. Too cool.

The 1966 shows don't seem to be anywhere near as well documented with photos, etc., as the earlier tours IMO.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Imagine the singalong Yellow Submarine would have been. It could have been a fine concert closer in a way.

DmitriKaramazov and RayS like this.
  3. John vocals really stand out and sound great on this.

4. Glenn Christense

Me too!

5. Glenn Christense

As I was listening to this last night, John starts singing and I think to myself, "Yeah, John is my favorite rock singer of all time", but then Paul starts slinging it and I think to myself, "Wait a minute, Paul kills,.ultimately he's gotta be my favorite rock singer ever", but then John starts singing again, and....:laugh:

But.. then Ringo starts singing and I think to myself, "Man, that Ringo is my favorite rock....drummer." :p

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

How unbelievable is it that the two greatest songwriters are also the two greatest singers and they were in the same freaking band.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

And yet ... my favorite track on the album has always been "Roll Over Beethoven". Go figure.

8. Glenn Christense

Yes, it's totally unbelievable actually.
    Their story is one of the few stories in the history of the world where everything went right and fell into place. :D

That's why their story really was a magical mystery tour . Nothing can be so right, can it?

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

George totally kills it, both vocally and with his solo. DYNAMITE

No Bull, Paperback Writer and RayS like this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

My face is sore from smiling!

This should absolutely be a #1 album!

I wonder does Giles Martin truly understand what he has done? Beatles fans all over the world should be more than happy!

This is already one of my all time fave live albums!

Ringo's drumming in the song Boys is just awesome!

I'm going to buy two more copies of this album, because I know already that I'm going to wear it out!

11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Not sure I've ever seen the green bell bottoms and red shirts wardrobe. Are there pictures online??

12. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

One lucky thing for Ringo, he had 3 of the best vocalists in the business singing behind him. Oh and he was a great drummer.

13. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I'm enjoying Ringo's drumming on this more than anything else.

14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing!! That's amazing, have you seen any solo Beatles shows since?

I've seen Paul, and that was amazing enough, I can't imagine all FOUR Beatles in concert! Great stuff.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  15. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I have to admit that I sometimes forget about "She's A Woman" because I usually just flip through their core album(I haven't made playlists with Beatles music, will have to change that) but I LOVE IT when I hear, one of my favorite Beatles songs, sounds amazing on this.

All the Beatles sound great on this album, I didn't think I'd listen to it very much when it was coming out but I've been playing it nonstop this weekend!

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Plenty but I hate having to Google photos using my phone and then get them to photobucket to post them here . Too big of a pain. My laptop is jazzed up.

I've read that for some reason they only wore the red shirts with the green suits at my show on the 1966 US tour. The rest of the tour they wore those white shirts with a floral pattern or whatever they were with the green suits . The suit coats were double
    breasted . I'm sure you can find pictures online.
    P.S.Here's the same suits and shirts in Japan. The suits look black in this picture but they are actually forest green or whatever a dark green is called .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  17. Glenn Christense

You are welcome .
    I've seen Paul with Wings in 1976, once in 1989, twice in 1990, and once in 1994.

I saw George in 1974.

No solo John or Ringo.

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

She's A Woman is one of my very fave performances on the album, it is bad to the bone!

One of the things I really like about that particular performance is Lennon's rhythm playing! I know it's just a simple stroke he is doing but it just drives the song! McCartney's vocal is just stellar!

Being able to really hear is just so fantastic! I can't give this album enough praise, it just sounds so good!

I say yet again, with what Giles Martin has done, this is now an epic essential Beatles album and it should be #1!

19. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

How many copies did they have ? When I bought mine Friday, they only had 3 total.

905 likes this.
  20. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yup, right next to my copies of ON AIR and 1+...

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

don't have tons to say.. bought it last night, listened to it twice today.
    sounds good as can be.. very energetic.. i can't think of the show going on much longer,.. seems draining as hell.
    who would have thought "Boys" would be the highlight? what a jam.
    very glad this is finally on CD.
    they're probably asking themselves "what took us so long?"
    solid release.

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Ticket to Ride
    Dark Star-->
    Honey Don't-->
    Dark Star-->
    I'm Down

Seems a tad unlikely for a set closer sequence, but the possibility is indeed intriguing. :nyah:

23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I've been adjusting to the new sound and I'm enjoying it.

It's so stingey, though. It should be a 2-disc set of all the recorded performances at the venue.

The Beatles are too stingey with the live stuff.

Beatles fans and other consumers understand about the sound quality deficiencies, the adverse recording conditions, the crowd noise. We know about that and we don't care. So just release the stuff already.

24. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Why make one when there's already one available! ;) (Now with the Hollywood Bowl tracks) The Ultimate: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, a playlist by Robert Romero on Spotify ยป

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  25. Ringo is kickin ass from beginning to end

wiseblood, Rocco, Terry and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.