Big artists with a 'sell-out' disco hit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

see my other posts above , it had plenty of play in disco's

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Another brick in the wall is quite dancey. It blends very well with actual disco.

GowG, theMess, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  3. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The album was produced by Giorgo Moroder, the same guy who produced "I feel love". Pet Shop Boys are not a comparison that comes to my mind immediately, they are much more pop rather than hypnotic synth loops.

4. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I mean. Now it's proper disco. Excellent!

pool_of_tears and Jarleboy like this.
  5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

There are strong disco influences though.

The funny thing is I like disco much better than rock, and many of the songs listed here are therefore the only ones of a given artist I ever noticed :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

A song's danceability does not depend on the BPM. You can have tunes that "feel" fast even though the nominal BPM is quite slow.

Jarleboy and Evethingandnothing like this.
  7. Evethingandnothing

Aye, and 70's disco dancing isn't always energetic, judging from the TV clips of the era.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

It's 1980 all over again. Some time around that era the local radio station made a show aimed to "convince" disco-hating rock fans that disco wasn't so bad and that some of their favourite artists had made disco songs before. Several of the songs listed in this thread were played in that show. Personally I didn't need convincing at all, but the show was overall fun :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:tsk: It's pretty obvious that "Peg" is disco, or at least R&B.

You know you're blowing all those rockists minds, right? They can't handle it. :laugh:

The one thing that always attracted me to Pink Floyd was how close a lot of their music is to blues and R&B. The influence is undeniable. From "The Great Gig In The Sky", "Breathe", and "Money" to "Young Lust" (which was also an FM rock radio staple) and "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. II".

No. The hi-hat or the four beats per measure (four to the floor) is not the only element that makes the disco sound. It's the bass. Listening to Pink Floyd, it is obvious they knew their stuff.

I've always said that the musicians are always more well-rounded musically than the fans. More often than not, it's the average rank and file fan that has the narrow tastes.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. Grant

This may have been a regional thing. That just didn't happen out here in the west as far as I ever saw.

Other than that, you'd think some people today would loosen up. It's only music, and most of us aren't in high school anymore, or bound to peer pressure.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Grant

"Hot Stuff" is funk. I would say that it has reggae roots. The Rolling Stones were into reggae at that point, and Mick Jagger was always a fan of R&B. Remember, at their core, they are a blues band.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Bouncing up and down an octave, right? There should also be strings, which inherited from Philly sound. There's a lot of disco without strings, but the base formula has them.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Grant

Nope.

14. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Nope to what? Strings or bouncy bass?

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Where? "Hot Stuff" is obviously a funk rock, as for ELO I don't hear any disco in it at all.

16. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I love nirvana but when they made a disco smells like teen spirit it just ruined it for me.

Ah
    Ah ah ahhhhhh

Denial !

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Anyone mentioned Zappa's "Dancin' Fool" yet?

anorak2 and Jarleboy like this.
  18. vince

Once, I think I head it on WFMU, someone took all the Nirvana opening riffs from "Nevermind", and put them over the beat from "Stars On 45"!!
    It was quite good!

Crimson jon and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Nah. That one's Yacht Rock. Nothing to do with Disco.

ARK likes this.
  20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You could argue that, as long as we agree there’s nothing sell out about it. It’s just the sound of the Doors making some very interesting sounds indeed.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  21. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I don't know "Hot Stuff" by the RS, anyway if it's funky it's close enough. "Miss you" by RS is quite discoish and I liked it at the time.

ELO's entire "Discovery" album is even named programatically, and it says on the wikipedia page that there are heavy disco influences. "Shine a little love" and "Don't bring me down" are certainly very dancy and I liked them and still do.

Some others mentioned in the thread that triggered me at the time were "Da ya think I'm sexy", "Reasons to be cheerful Pt3", "Goodnight tonight", "Another brick in the wall", and obviously "Heart of glass", "Atomic" and "Rapture", while I don't like most of the same artists' rock material. I like some non-disco Wings songs though, esp "Mull of Kintyre" and "Coming up". The latter is clever production-whise, but not disco.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes, and "Comfortably Numb" often reminds me of "Boogie Oogie Oogie."

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  23. vince

Yowza!

Say It Right likes this.
  24. Evethingandnothing

I daresay them Taste Of Honey girls could have taught Pink Floyd a thing or two.

Say It Right likes this.
  25. Evethingandnothing

Indeed, Roger's bass playing gets a bit more funky on Young Lust.

I wouldn't like to generalise about musicians. My own tastes are extremely varied, whereas I know some musicians whose tastes are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.