Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I apologize if this has been covered in this thread already, but is there a list of the takes from MBMT that match up with those on the original test pressing? (Just the NY versions of the songs that were redone in MN because I assume the others are the same takes from BoTT?)

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Here: Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Leviathan and subtr like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been posted (this is a long thread!).

I just wanted to quote the BBC about the Record Store Day release:

"Only five copies of that test pressing survived... but it's now getting a full vinyl re-release for Record Store Day, duplicated from the original disc."

Emphasis is mine. I guess this means it's a needle drop? Perhaps why it wasn't in the box? Or am I reading too much into it?

shadow blaster and CBackley like this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I haven't been following too closely lately, but interesting question.

Are there reasons why they wouldn't have the original mixes, or be able to re-create the mixes?

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I asked this earlier because in the decades past, they've either issued alternate takes or new mixes instead of the original mixes, suggesting that perhaps the original NY mixes for those five relevant songs are lost (perhaps destroyed after they were replaced with the Minneapolis recordings). If that's the case, needle drop's the best we can hope for.

Re-creating the original NY mix may be too difficult. I think they tried that with "You're a Big Girl Now" on Biograph and it's not too far off when the song starts, but as mentioned elsewhere, the organ is buried in the mix in crucial spots later on, which is not how it is on the original mix.

6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Quick question are the versions on the single disc version of More Blood the same takes as those released on the Bootleg Series 1-3?
    Thanks

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I hope that’s not the case. The BBC might not have been precise in their language.

voles and ronbow like this.
  8. gearyoleary

gearyoleary Well-Known Member

It says 7500 on the RSD website

9. gearyoleary

gearyoleary Well-Known Member

Nope they're different. Personally I LOVE the version of idiot wind on the 1-3 set

joeislive likes this.
  10. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I’m not good with the actual terms, but is it possible they still have the plate or master from the test pressing... or whatever the source is that created the 5 test pressings to begin with?

11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

They could recreate the mixes. But it would be slightly different of course.

I would like to know too if this is a needledrop. Because we already have a bunch of those ;-)

Tim

13. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes, even though I can't play vinyl! You seems to have turned Ms Gilmore's 'Small World Turning' cover around by the way.

14. voles

voles Forum Lurker

What with TEST PRESSING printed on the white label? Stranger things have happened!

15. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Not in my world I haven't:-

https://www.theagilmore.net/

Unashamed plug.... :)

[​IMG]

16. voles

voles Forum Lurker

17. BASEMENT TAPES

BASEMENT TAPES Forum Resident

Is this the price we pay, to get the test pressing Paul Griffin Idiot Wind take that was not included on MBMT?

What's next the "original Freewheelin' omitted 4 tracks" Record Day Vinyl EP?
    including: -
    1) Let Me Die In My Footsteps - including Complete Verses Freewheelin' Studio Version
    2) Talkin' John Birch Society Blues - Freewheelin' Studio Version (not live as the BS Vol 1-3)
    3) Rocks And Gravel - Freewheelin' mix (not True Detective sndtk mix)
    4) Rambling, Gambling Willie - already released on BS Vol 1-3
    The Picture Sleeve Would Be The "Original Freewheelin' front cover with these tracks listed"
    and the record label would be the original label with these tracks listed

Jokingly, did I give them an idea?, again let'$ milk it!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Vaughan likes this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would buy a reissue of the stereo Freewheelin with deleted tracks. It’s such a cool item! But, I would love to find one at a yard sale. Only two or three are known to exist, making it a six figure record, but I suspect that there are more out there. The problem is that the stereo copies have been found in stock covers with the revised track list. You have to check the matrix or play the record to know whether the tracks are different.

Percy Song likes this.
  19. Bobfan2

Bobfan2 Well-Known Member

In Clinton Heylin's book he claims the 1/4 inch mix down tape has been lost & that is why we got a different organ overdub on MBMT. Le's hope this all turns out to be false & we get a disc taken from the master tapes.

ronbow, asdf35 and C6H12O6 like this.
  20. BASEMENT TAPES

BASEMENT TAPES Forum Resident

Crush87 you are right on!
    Seems there are collectors within the Dylan Camp holding back the better quality tracks for themselves and "milking the Dylan catalog " to 1 track per various artists soundtracks.
    Also, the Dylan Camp are "holding back" the better performance tracks & give the public the inferior, lesser alternative tracks, some examples:

1) Let Me Die In My Footsteps - Bootleg Series Vol. 1 -3 - one verse was omitted compared to the Original Freewheelin' - Why?
    2) Idiot Wind - Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 - you get a lesser, inferior, alternative take compared to the Test Pressing
    Why wasn't the Test Pressing Idiot Wind put on Bootleg Series 1-3?
    3) John Birch Society Blues - You get a "live " version on Bootleg Series 1-3 Why not put the Freewheelin' version on Bootleg Series 1-3
    4) Tell Me - from Bootleg Series 1-3 Why not the better performance version from the Infidels sessions?
    5) Blind Willie McTell - from Bootleg series 1-3 Why not the electric version from the Infidels sessions?
    6) If You Gotta Go, Go Now - from Bootleg series 1-3 Why not the 45 version instead of an out take version?
    7) Let's Keep It Between Us - Not included on Troubled No More Why does the Live '81 tracks appear which are songs not composed by Dylan in '79 - '81?
    8 & 9) Long Distance Operator w/ The Hawks & Dusty Old Fairgrounds - should have been included on Live 62 - 66 Rare Performance from the Copyright Collections
    (Knowing of their rareness possibly performed once or twice) No consider?
    Many, many more I can go on & on.
    Is there any consideration from the Dylan Camp for the Dylan Listeners / Fans of purchasing a various artist soundtrack to get the inclusion of 1 Dylan unreleased track?
    And a download of that track from ITunes "you must buy the entire album" ?? ( approx. $12.00 cd / digital download for getting 1 Dylan track)
    I respect Bob Dylan's decision & decretion of what is to be released, not this Positively Wall Street Dylan Camp milking Bob Dylan fans / music admirers.
    P$
    Clinton Heylin & Co. "I Don't Believe You"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  21. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Critter, Crush87 and Mr. H like this.
  22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

shadow blaster and Mr. H like this.
  23. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

24. EndorphinMachine