Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Amazon DE has the Complete DG for 350 euros or $410 shipped to USA. Mighty tempting considering price ($525+tax) on regular Amazon and it appearing to go OOP

2. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The complete "who" on DG? It would only be a bargain if it was Karajan or Bernsrein.

Martinu likes this.
  3. Swordsandchains

My mistake, Bernstein. My fingers were faster than brain…

croquetlawns and MrCJF like this.
  4. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Thanks

5. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I'm sorry, today also the Sony replacement for Ormandy cd 103 is arrived from germany....

albelTW likes this.
  6. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Well, I've been lucky with the set so I can't complain. Ms Rampana has been so kind to tell me she will send another one if the disc does not show up before next friday. So Universal Italy's customer service has been good so far.
    Sony's is on a whole different level of course.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'm mad at Poste Italiane since it's not the first CD of mine that they lose or that they "lose" so to say.

sambamaster likes this.
  7. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I've to tell you that I have been lucky till now. Only once I've lost a parcel from jpc... I often buy used cds from reBuy and They always arrive quickly and in good condition....

albelTW likes this.
  8. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Amazon JP literally seems to have its own internal transit system, because in the past, anything you'd order would arrive within 7 days if not sooner.

That does not apply, obviously, to normal shipping from Japan to North America. If it went "surface" it probably sat on a boat waiting to be unloaded for the better part of the last year!

Robur and albelTW like this.
  9. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

It would be a tremendous bargain if it were just The Complete Deutsche Grammophon. That’d be one Mega box!

crispi, Martinu, Robur and 2 others like this.
  10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

layman and albelTW like this.
  11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Classical megaboxes are like banks -- as time goes on they become bigger and fewer, until in the end there can be only one.

password196, Runicen, RiRiIII and 3 others like this.
  12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

. . . or like classical mega-box sellers.

cartologist likes this.
  13. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

That's Poste Italiane for you. Still better today than in the 1970s and 80s where vacation postcards from Italy to Germany could take half a year. Postcards!

Amazon Japan is using DHL - hah! - and their shipments get here days later. JPC uses DHL too, oddly enough they get stuck in customs sometimes for weeks. Now, HMV Japan has been in contact over the past year and asked me if I wanted to wait and that the items would be reserved for me. Not sure about the logistics of that, especially when items are now sold out, but my props to them. Eventually, a month or so ago, they e-mailed again, asking if I still wanted the items as shipping would not 30 or so Dollars more. I didn't mind, especially as the current prices or availability of the four sets are higher nor guaranteed.

Please let us know about how the delivery turned out, especially with a heavy box like that in their flimsy cardboard stock.

Andy Dursin likes this.
  14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I will. I've had bad luck recently with shipment of classical megaboxes. I almost always end up with a smashed corner. And the packages shipped internationally look as if they've been used for football practice and then re-taped along the way. So I did two things: (1) I had it shipped to an alternate address, not Philly; and (2) I paid extra for the expedited, thinking less handling is less opportunity to smash it up. We will see!

Robur likes this.
  15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The packaging from Amazon Global Store UK is absolutely horrendous. I have ordered from them, maybe five times, and in every instance, they ship in a flimsy cardboard box and often there is nothing inside to protect the cd box set from bouncing around.
    Surprisingly though, while the cardboard box always looks on the outside like it has been in a bar fight, the cd box sets themselves always arrive in a perfect shape.
    That was also the case, I am very happy to say, with my Previn set, which just arrived. Outside box in a bad shape, the box set itself inside is fine. This came from Germany for some reason.

[​IMG]

Their prices are competitive and contrary to JPC they deliver on a specific date, usually less than two weeks for the time you order. The Previn was $159.25. They ship with DHL Express, which I never had any problems with.

SBurke, Robur, trix and 3 others like this.
  16. Swordsandchains

Were these boxes packed in a manufacturer box and then placed in the amazon box? Or just the box set in the box?

I recently got thr Tubby Hayes 11lp box from
    Amazon UK to me in USA and Amazon box was TRASHED, but the actualt box set was in a nice tight quality manufacturer box, so it was perfect.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The ones I have ordered from them contained just the cd box set inside a flimsy cardboard box. No manufacturer's box.
    I remember specifically, that this was the case with Barbirolli, Grumiaux, and the Previn but I have ordered more from them that I do not remember right now.
    I still cannot understand why the outside box is in such a bad shape while the box set is fine.
    Maybe I am just lucky.

Robur likes this.
  18. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Well it's 3 days until the release of the Muti Warner box and I was hoping FNAC would send it a little early to arrive close to release, but apparently not.

Given the state of internstional shipping at the moment I might not get it until July!

Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  19. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

I, on the other hand, ordered the Previn box from JPC and it arrived with a smashed corner, unlike the Ormandy box, which arrived in perfect shape. Any credit or blame should go to the manufacturer (Sony with Ormandy and Warner with Previn), because JPC just tosses the manufacturers' boxes into their own.

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Sorry to hear that.
    I might be wrong but I do not remember receiving anything released by Warner being in a manufacturer's box, contrary to Sony.

21. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

The Previn came in a form-fitting box without any cushioning.

5-String likes this.
  22. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I remember to have received the barbirolli warner box with double package but I don't know why... It was just an exception, now I'm waiting for Muti complete warner box... 13 euro for shipping from France to Italy....

5-String likes this.
  23. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

You can try to get a refund or replacement from JPC :D:D:D
    Amazon is different....

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

25. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

The two new Kubelik Eloquence boxes are now In Stock at ImportCDs.com

Search results for Classical : ""

Use the HAPPY10 coupon code to get another 10% off until the close of business tomorrow 06/16/2021.

croquetlawns, Martinu and layman like this.