Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Continued from here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6162489#post6162489

Now playing:
    • William Kempff - Steinway Legends, disc 2 [DG 2006 2CD, best thing on here, without a doubt, are the two Legends by Liszt -- brilliant]
      -Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15 [recorded 1973]
      -Brahms: Scherzo for Piano in E-flat Minor, Op. 4
      -Brahms: Four Pieces for Piano, Op. 119
      -Liszt: Légendes for Piano, S 175 [recorded 1950 for Decca -- also available on Great Pianists of the Century, Vol. 56]
      -Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 'Pathétique' [recorded 1936]
    DG will release a new 'Originals' remaster next week (no USA release) with Kempff's later recording of the Legends. I've never heard it, will be interesting to hear how it compares to his awesome Decca recording.

Attached Files:

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW!!! A 1000 posts go by F A S T !

3. Graphyfotoz

Pretty sad actually......this is the only Kempff I own in my collection!

[​IMG]

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Happy 21st!

5. Graphyfotoz

They grow up soooo fast! <<Sniffle>> :laughup:

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm glad we are past the awkward teen years. I think Eddie might even be mature enough now to embrace the genius of Rachmaninoff!:agree:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

As a reminder, this thread (and the 20 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, etc.

Also, beginners are welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc.

Many thanks to all who have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! :wave:

8. John S

John S Forum Resident

:laugh:

9. I'm really enjoying the Classical Music Corner and am learning a lot along the way. :cheers:

10. Graphyfotoz

+1 here :righton:

Participating here has cost me a few bux but in a good way!! :laugh:
    Joining this forum opened up a whole new source of info for my Classical collecting!

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

+1 here too :righton:

(Love the new avatar Graphy)

12. Graphyfotoz

:laugh: Product of a google search....Mozart in a can....I mean with cans! :biglaugh:

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Catching up:

Bartok: The Reiner disc is probably Bartok at his most accessible, but try the three piano concertos. I have Anda/Fricsay, and I recently acquired Richter performing the 2nd as part of the EMI box. It took me a several listenings before they clicked.

Also the 6 quartets are a must.

Szell/Schubert is one of my favorites, but don't overlook Munch's 9th on SACD.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Now listening to an obscure LP—Music of Francesco Durante as played by Collegium Aureum, issued in the States on "BASF" but sourced from a "Harmonia Mundi" [Germany?] master. Issued in the Mid-seventies, then straight to the cut-out bin. Lovely, sweet, melodic string writing from those wonderful folks who brought you Corelli.

Attached Files:

15. John S

John S Forum Resident

Earlier....

Mozart
    Quintet for Piano and Winds K. 452
    Beethoven
    Quintet for Piano and Winds Op. 16

Murray Perahia, piano
    Members of the English Chamber Orchestra
    (including the late great Thea King, clarinet)

Interesting comparison between mature Mozart and a young Beethoven.

Attached Files:

16. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I found that this CD [DG 413 777-2, Berstein, Weiner Philharmoniker, Haydn No. 88 and No.92] was turning very bronze on me. I thought I had better copy it to preserve it. EAC said "there were errors" -- suspicious positions, I think was the exact terminology.

So I auditioned Symphony 88. No audible problems. It's a nice friendly reading. I don't have much to compare it to. Now I'll cross my fingers and listen to Symphony 92. I'll bet that's where the errors were. Hopefully they were correctable.

Attached Files:

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that recording. In my opinion, Mozart gets the better of it.

18. zen

zen Senior Member

One of those classical CD's I picked up cheap and it turned out to be quite a find.

[​IMG]

NI5114 (65 minutes: DDD)

For the Faure at least this coupling should be in the collection of every lover of chamber music; I do urge you to hear it - Gramophone

19. motoreyes

motoreyes New Member

Greetings

First time posting to the Classical Music Corner!

I love my local record shop...thanks to them I have been able to safely explore classical music on a larger scale without draining the bank account!

Below are todays finds...$1 or less.

The JC Bach is a really beautiful hardboard gatefold edition, Philips French pressing...very impressive.

Attached Files:

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

You're lucky you have a local record shop with this kind of stuff in it.

Welcome to the Classical Corner:wave:

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Welcome!! :wave:

I have that Paganini on CD.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

My vote goes to Corelli, for most boring composer—ever.

A friend of mine lent me a 10 CD set of Corelli (on Brilliant Classics)...and IMHO there could not be a more bland/boring composer.

[​IMG]

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

But Corelli was a huge influence on Vivaldi and Bach, among others. So, at the very least, we should give him some respect for this.

24. zen

zen Senior Member

Well then, I'll be sure to get a Corelli poster for my bedroom. :righton:;)

25. John S

John S Forum Resident

I agree, although in my opinion, that can't be said terribly often. For all of Mozart's prolific and brilliant genius, Beethoven is still the man. A while back George attempted to start a little game in these threads by proposing we name our top 10 composers. That's a very difficult thing to do for me, especially with the names of numbers 6 through 10. All I can tell you now is that Beethoven is #1 on my list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.