Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I think Schubert's Great C major symphony is aided a great deal by removing the "Slow" introduction—not Schubert's work but the work of a later editor—and playing the first movement in essentially the same tempo. The lighter phrasing, quicker tempos and superior balances of historically informed performances of this work really illuminate the tonal pallet and increase dynamic difference between episodes. I've got six performances of the work on my I-Pod—it's my favorite 'walking' music. Furtwängler makes hash out of the slow movement by grinding the work to a halt. Brucknerian? Sure. But Schubert is not Bruckner. Walter slows down the work, clarifying string parts but losing forward momentum. Barbirolli and Boult don't even bother with a forward pulse. Krips is appropriately 'light' but a little too gentle in character. Solti and Chicago are predictably stolid, Grammophon award or no. Toscanini throttles it in multiple versions. Szell for CBS/Sony is closer, with his usual tight ensemble and close attention to dynamics but Herbert von Karajan in his notorious second recording with Berlin is is closer still. The first movement is played in one tempo and everyone generally keeps things moving, the overall effect is very punchy and Beethovian. I suspect Harnoncourt would approve. Munch with Boston is all but an "Early Music" performance, with very lively tempos and very crisp inflection of the wonderful and tricky brass writing. Roy Goodman leading the Hanover Band for Nimbus is not quite as forward pressing as Munch, the phrasing being more early Romantic—Mendelssohnian—than others. It's this performance, more than any other, that gets the brass right. It's been ages since I've heard Norrington and the London Classical Players, but recall it as being much closer to the mark than his Beethoven or Brahms cycles. I look forward to Harnoncourt, he is generally very good in early Romantic music.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Mr Bass, dale 88 and 5-String like this.
  2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am looking forward to the Blomstedt/Dresden Staatskapelle Brilliant Classics set just out last week of the Schubert Complete Symphonies recorded between 1978 and 1981. On order

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Interesting, Harnoncourt leading the Vienna Philharmonic in Schubert's great C Major, from last year. There's more old-fashioned rhetorical point making than I expected. Other than that, this is a lot like HvK's second account.

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Mahler: Symphony 2. Leonard Bernstein NYPO. UK original.

mahler2lb.JPG

John S likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great record. I have the US pressing and it sounds nice.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of my top three Mahler 2. My favorite on any given day. Cool ......UK pressing.
    I have that on a Japan SACD.

Mr Bass likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying (from the big Rubinstein box)

CD 78 (1961 Live)
    Debussy:
    1. Préludes Book 1 - 10. La cathédrale engloutie
    2. Images - Book 2 - 3. Poissons d'or
    3. Images Book 1 - 2. Hommage à Rameau
    4. Préludes Book 2 - 8. Ondine
    5. Szymanowski: 20 Mazurkas for Piano, Op.50 No.1, 2, 3, 6
    6. Prokofiev: Visions fugitives, Op.22 - No.1,2,3,12,6,7,10,11,18,9,16,14
    Villa-Lobos:
    7. A Prole do Bebê, first series
    1. Branquinha (A Boneca de Louça) - Little White Doll
    5. Negrinha (A Boneca de Pau) - Little Black Doll
    8. A Bruxa (A Boneca de Pano) - The Witch
    2. Moreninha (A Boneca de Massa) - Little Brunette Doll
    6. A Pobrezinha (A Boneca de Trapo) - The Poor Little Doll
    7. O Polichinelo - The Punch

8. George P

How did it go? I see they have it back in stock right now.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I know Hindustani Classical music might seem a little out of our bailiwick, but I'm going to include some today. This is the second time I heard the great Debashish Bhattacharya. One of the world's great virtuosos:

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You have a collectible Bach set right there ...

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

One of my favorite records (decidedly NOT a favorite of any other member of the family) is a 10" 78, 2 sides, of the celebrated MS Subbulakshmi in a Tamil classical selection. Not only can she float a remarkable line with complex rhythms, but on side two she unleashes a fusillade of staccati that simply must be heard to be believed. Heady stuff--although I must add I'm haunted by the awareness that while I hear something beautiful and exotic, I am entirely missing whatever it would mean to a native listener.

Robin L likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

They do? Yes, you 're right, it 's back in stock.
    Actually, I got swamped with work today and did not have time to call them. Unfortunately, I see that my order is still "not shipped yet" but at this point I think that I 'll wait till Monday and call them then.

14. George P

Ok, good luck!! :wave:

5-String likes this.
  15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My order has shipped :goodie:

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Sold it (too cheap) when I got rid of my LPs. :hide:

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Starting the morning with Dorati conducting Bartok (from the MLP box).

18. John A

John A New Member

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

I never yet disposed of a record that I didn't eventually end up regretting it. Luckily, when CD came out, I was too much of a cheapskate to do more than buy in the new format going forward--and then only when I couldn't find the same recording at a lower price on LP. I just refused to go spend my money rebuying records that I already owned just for the sake of adopting the "up to date" format, and therefore I kept all my records in earlier formats. :sweating:

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My LPs, CDs, 78s and whatnot are in a constant flow, in and out of my collection. I can't take it with me and I can't make room for new [old] stuff without getting rid of old, old stuff. I doubt my signed copy of Claudio Arrau's recording of the complete piano sonatas of Beethoven that I already got rid of will really be collectible any more than the copy of Brahms Double Concerto that Heifetz signed, and that I bought for $2 a few years ago. I suspect that I'm going to have a major yard sale in the near future, LP collecting ain't what it used to be and CDs are practically falling out of the sky. There's something like 3000 LPs, CDs, SACDs, DATs, Cassettes and 78s in my collection. I don't have the time to listen to them all, never will.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  21. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I am loving this CD...Finally I am enjoying some harpsichord, albeit in a support role in ensemble....As usual with this label...very well recorded.

Attached Files:

22. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Rubinstein playing Schubert final sonata.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm starting to catch on ;)

[​IMG]

If you ever run across this CD—grab it. A rarified level of virtuosity:

[​IMG]

24. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And now enjoying Rubinstein's Wanderer Fantasy.

25. John S

John S Forum Resident

Welcome to the Classical Music Corner! :)

John A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.