Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #57)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 56 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He also didn't record Mahler 1-3; didn't he like those either? I read somewhere that von Karajan didn't have much affinity with Beethoven 6, yet he recorded it several times; they weren't his best performances in my view. To my ears his recordings of Sibelius 1 and 2 aren't very convincing either; his later Sibelius symphonies (4-7) are great, on the other hand.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Interesting...one of my favorite Beethoven 6's is von Karajan's mid-80's recording pictured here. Yes, the doubling of brass and woodwind is pretty bombastic, but sometimes I like that kind of power and fire in Beethoven.
    [​IMG]

geralmar, Boris75, Joe071 and 2 others like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To me von Karajan's Beethoven sounds like a city dweller lost in the middle of nature, total alienation.

EasterEverywhere and drh like this.
  5. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

That's certainly an interesting way to put it...Solti is one of my favorite conductors, and his Beethoven leaves me feeling that way sometimes.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've been thinking of getting (or trying to get) the big Arthur Rubinstein Complete Album Collection box at a decent price (I'm in the Netherlands), but before making a decision I'd like to hear a few opinions from owners of the box - how is the sound quality, especially of the 1950s and later stuff, and how is the artistic quality? I've never been a real Rubinstein fan, though I do like several of the individual CDs and Chopin collections.

I did a search, but there's not much info on this box on this board - or I couldn't find it.

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Someone described Toscanini's "Pastorale" and an athletic run through the country, Furtwängler's a slow walk with time to smell the flowers and Karajan's in a sports car zipping through the landscape. His '62 Eroica is some kind of wonderful though.

EasterEverywhere and ToddBD like this.
  8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think the issue with HvK and the Beethoven 6th is the direct pictorial nature of the music at least according to Beethoven. HvK wasn't very good with the Symphonie Fantastique which has a rather precise program from the composer. HvK was very Germanic in his approach to music and viewed it as high art bordering on the metaphysical. Beethoven himself had that attitude although he had a sense of humor which HvK didn't. HvK was very good with the late symphonies of Sibelius which are by common agreement (and Sibelius himself) reactions to nature, almost without human presence. But they are not pictorial in the sense of the Pastoral symphony. For some reason he could set that aside with the Strauss symphonic poems but those are rather bombastic themselves.

Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

It's really hard to generalize on sound quality given the range of sources. I got it for a good price and am happy with it (although I still haven't listened to all of it). Rubinstein was my introduction to the romantic piano repertoire, so I am predisposed towards his interpretations.

ToddBD likes this.
  10. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Speaking of Rubinstein, my recording engineer friend told me that Rubinstein had his piano tuned just slightly sharp, which brightened the tone. Anyone else heard this? I know I sure like his piano sound, but I always credit that to Mr. R's playing and Lew Layton's microphone artistry.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This was the last HvK's Beethoven Symphonies cycle and perhaps his 4th IIRC ...

12. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Listening to disc 1

[​IMG]

Joe071, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Historical Recordings collection ...

[​IMG]

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Les Fantaisies de Patricia Petibon" with PB being accompanied by various artists on Virgin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe071 likes this.
  15. coopmv

I have seen her around but do not have a clue other than knowing that she is some opera singer ... LOL

16. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'm not sure that would actually work. I have heard that Horowitz had nail polish applied to the hammers of his pianos to make them louder and brighter.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Here is a beautiful way to be introduced to her....

"Couperin - Leçons de Ténèbres / Daneman, Petibon, Les Arts Florissants, Christie"

[​IMG]

Joe071 likes this.
  18. coopmv

I do not have this recording, though I have a number of other recordings by William Christie ...

bluemooze likes this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

I will carefully refrain from comment on Karajan--I suppose most of us already know my opinion on that subject :hide:--but I'll join you in saying that I found Solti's cycle disappointing. From what I recall, it as somehow lacking in weight to match its general fleetness of foot.

ToddBD likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Franz Liszt - Etudes d' execution transcendante" performed by Alice Sara Ott on DG.

[​IMG]

WildManPaulie and ToddBD like this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got the box for $112 & have been well-satisfied. I've listened to the first 30 CDs & sound quality is satisfactory. I already had quite a few of Rubinstein's later recordings & have found him to perform at a consistently high level. Obviously I'm a fan; I wouldn't want that much of anyone's work unless I really enjoyed their playing. I love having the picture sleeves & the nice book that's included.

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Salut d'Amour" performed by Anne Akiko Meyers and Sandra Rivers on RCA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  23. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Handel - Arcadian Duets" performed by Le Concert D'Astree conducted by Emmanuelle Haim on Virgin Veritas.

Vocalists are Laura Claycomb/Natalie Dessay/Veronique Gens/Juanita Lascarro/Anna Maria Panzarella/Patricia Petibon/Marijana Mujanovic/Sara Mingardo/Brian Asawa/Paul Agnew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe071 likes this.
  25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Waking up to Goren Sollscher's "Renaissance Album."

Joe071 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.