SH Spotlight Ever see an old 1929 electric phonograph with a steel needle in action? Take a look.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Why did the steel needles have to be changed after every play?
    Was the metal that soft?

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

AWESOME reference! :biglaugh:

The Beave and vudicus like this.
  3. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

This thread made me go fire up our Silvertone Victrola and play some Sinatra.
    Looks like this.

[​IMG]

4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Funny, all this time I thought he looked like THIS:

[​IMG];)

ArpMoog, The Beave, Larsen and 2 others like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think the grooves in a record essentially act like sandpaper, causing the tip to lose it's point. Most people certainly didn't change the needle with every play, especially in the Depression, but it was recommended.

andrewskyDE and 389 Tripower like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Most people in the old days just turned the steel needle a bit and played another record. These old 78s you see with white worn out grooves.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

A little off topic, but the dang chuck on my Victrola won't tighten down enough to hold a needle. I don't know if there is something wrong with it, or if the needles I got from Jerry Raskin are of a smaller guage than what I need.

8. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

... so the needles are re-popped?

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

some 78's I have looked like they used a chain saw as a needle.
    some must have thought, 'oh it'll be alright', and kept using blunt needles.
    without much knowledge, it's hard for me to believe a steel needle would be degraded
    after one shellac record play. (I probably would have done the same back in the day....)

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought Adolfe was more of a Sax-man, myself. ;)

I too am curious about the session specifics. Admittedly I'm not at my desk system, just the Kindle, but saxes not nearly as present as trumpets? And I didn't even notice the strings until the last verse. Perhaps the trumpets should have sat down, and scooted a few feet further back? I'm assuming only one mic?

11. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

12. Jon_UK

Jon_UK Forum Resident

I remember we had a little box of single play needles, some gold coloured ones that apparently were good for five plays, and some toughened needles that were good for 50 plays. There was also a needle sharpener with a disc of sandpaper, so I guess people sharpened them several times - I may be wrong.

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

As I noted My first record player used those steel needles. I used them until they were rounded and dull. But then I was 3-4.

PDK likes this.
  14. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

“Don’t mention the War” (Basil Faulty)

Chazzbo13, bumbletort and Jason W like this.
  15. We had a suitcase Victrola like this one that my brother would play Beethoven symphonies on. The speaker was between the turntable and the hinge of the lid. The volume control was a towel stuck into the speaker. Our mother collected cacti so if steel needles were in short supply, we'd use stickers off her cactus plants. They'd be good for a play or two.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PDK, Orthogonian Blues, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  16. Besides the Beethoven symphonies, this one got a lot of spins on our Victrola. Released 1941. A two disc album.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I know a guy in NH who might know about the appropriate needles for your Collaro.

I've collected many victrolas and early 78 players over the years. In terms of wind-up machines, the most dynamic sound reproducer I ever had was a late 1920s Orthophonic, which used an alloy diaphragm. The difference in detail and dynamics between that and my Victor No 2 reproducer was amazing. That said, I never explored electronic phono pickups like the one in the video (and referenced in the above link). Beautiful! I'm using a funky electric player now, but I'd like to someday set up a model with one of these pickups.

I love old players (and 78 record-era music). I think I'd feel at home at Joe Broussard's (Desperate Man Blues). And if I lived in house, I surely would put antique record players (and cylinder players) in every room :)

imawalrus and qwerty like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, and ya gotta dispose of them properly, or they end up washing up on the Jersey shore. :D

BTW, Driftwood - nice, lusterous shots of beautiful old wood made musical! :thumbsup:

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Perfect record! Very surprising. Sounds like it wasn't played that often over the decades.

Fortunately!!

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh my god! Haha, that really worked!?

21. Steve Hoffman

Yes. Cactus needles were sold and used. Also wood needles for a mellow tone.

imawalrus, delmonaco and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Are you willing to give mastering a disc for this a try?

23. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Reminds me of this full-range 1932 gem you shared with the forum several years back.

PDK likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Yes, amazing sound for being almost 90 years old.

25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

My parent were born during the nazi era. I glorify them.

beccabear67, PDK and The Beave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.