Films that never materialized?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Terry Southern, William S. Burroughs, and... Chuck Barris?

[​IMG]

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

3. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I'm sure someone has mentioned Hitchcocks failure in 67. It was so extreme and perverted that the studio refused to release it.
    Hitchcock said release it or I quite. The studio called his bluff and said goodbye. They basically sacked him. I suspect they did him a favour by not backing his project.

4. Curiously though elements of “Kaleidoscope”/“frenzy” made it to the 1972 “Frenzy” including making the killer a main character and the other main character so unappealing that no one could identify with him. The inspector effectively became the surrogate for the audience.

5. Based on the screenplay by Abrams, the Cage film would have sucked IMhO.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I suspect that the hays code and censorship saved Hitchcocks career from getting submerged in depravity. He had a very dark and sinister side that remained largely hidden and buried in the times when he was at his peak
    Peeping Tom totally finished Michael Powells career. It's entirely possible the Hitchcock would have gone the same way

fr in sc likes this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Shortly after the death of T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia), Alex Korda announced a film version of Lawrence's book Revolt In The Desert, to be directed by his brother Zoltan and to star Walter Hudd. Hudd had played a Lawrence-like character in Shaw's play Too True To Be Good, and was praised by Lawrence himself, who expressed hope Hudd would play the character in any film version.

Walter Hudd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. crowlibrarian

crowlibrarian Forum Resident

I recall anticipating a film about Oz Magazine but then never heard anything more.

[​IMG]

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Tourista, the sequel to Making The Grade with Judd Nelson.

[​IMG]

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

Has neuromancer been mentioned?

11. Django

Django Forum Resident

ALF vs. ET

Similar to alien vs. Predator
    I was looking forward to it.

12. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Haven't read all of this but I've been waiting a long time for a new Doc Savage film

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

There were announcements of big screen versions of Hawaii Five-0, Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island made several times over the years; all three have never appeared, of course.

14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

A movie based on Raised Eyebrows, Steve Stoliar's fantastic book about working as Groucho Marx's secretary during the last 3 years of Groucho's life was announced around 5 years ago, but still has not been made. I talked to Steve recently, and he told me the film is still on, though Rob Zombie is no longer going to direct.

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Stoliar has been a guest several times on Gilbert Gottfried's great Amazing Colossal Podcast. The one where he is ostensibly there to discuss Marx Brothers Blu Rays may be the funniest podcast episode I've ever heard. Nothing like a good Rondo Hatton impression!

16. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My Life story!

18. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

A Superman 5 with Christopher Reeve.

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

IMDb:

An article dated December 2, 1965, and circulated by "The Washington Post" said that Dwight D. Eisenhower was "outraged" by this Warner Brothers movie [The Battle Of The Bulge, 1965]. It said that Columbia Pictures had long had an epic movie in the works about the battle that had the cooperation of the Defense Department, as well as many of the generals who had been involved, including Eisenhower and Bernard L. Montgomery. The working title of Columbia's movie was "16th of December:The Battle of the Bulge." Michael Anderson was slated to direct from a screenplay written by Byron Morgan and Tony Lazzarino, and the project was to be co-produced by Lazzorino and Kenneth T. Hoeck. The former president's son John S.D. Eisenhower was writing a companion history of the battle and serving as technical advisor. Anderson was quoted as hoping to have Van Heflin as Eisenhower, David Niven as Montgomery, John Wayne as Gen. George S. Patton and Laurence Olivier as Adolf Hitler. Shortly after Columbia announced that filming would begin during the winter of 1964, Warner Brothers registered the title "The Battle of the Bulge" and announced that it was going to make its own fictional movie, upsetting the plans for Columbia's epic. Columbia obtained an injunction against Warners, dropping it after Warners agreed that its picture would not use the names of any of the real-life figures that had contributed to Columbia's project, such as Eisenhower, Montgomery, Omar Bradley, Anthony McAuliffe, Patton and 10 other figures. The Defense Department had also urged a Federal Trade Commission action against the movie on the grounds that its title was misleading the public. When the article appeared it stated that Columbia's project would go forward, with filming to begin at Camp Drum near Watertown, NY, in the fall of 1966, but the project fell through and the film was never made.​

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Any new film adaptations of James Ellroy since LA Confidential. In 2008 there was talk of Tom Hank’s company developing 2 of his books for an HBO series but then in 2009 Ellroy said all movie adaptations of his novels are dead.

alexpop likes this.
  21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I used to spit on the inside of my diving masks before going under, hoping it would keep the mask from fogging up...but that film never materialized...:shrug:

23. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Years back, there was talk of a prequel to the Star Wars films, featuring a young Obi Wan Kenobe ans documenting Anakin Skywalker’s turn to the dark side. No idea what happened to that, but I bet it would’ve been brilliant.

Neil Anderson likes this.
  24. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Apart from learning from the master as an apprentice animator, I believe the most important lesson Ray Harryhausen learned from Willis O'Brien was to produce his own movies. O'Brien struggled to get so many projects off the ground while Harryhausen connected early on with Charles H. Schneer to produce films. Even then, there's a lot of movies Harryhausen didn't get to make for various reasons - a remake of King Kong for example - but there's still a wonderful trove of drawings, scripts, and models from his aborted projects.

Alan G. likes this.
  25. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Mel Gibson's Prospective Films

Sounds like a lot of these won't be happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson#Prospective_films

When asked in 2007 if he planned to return to acting and specifically to action roles, Gibson replied: "I think I'm too old for that, but you never know. I just like telling stories. Entertainment is valid and I guess I'll probably do it again before it's over. You know, do something that people won't get mad with me for."[107]

He has also expressed an intention to direct a movie set during the Viking Age, starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Like The Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto, he wants this speculative film to feature dialogue in period languages.[108] However, DiCaprio ultimately opted out of the project.[109] In a 2012 interview, Gibson announced that the project, which he has titled Berserker, was still moving forward.[110]

In 2011, it was announced that Gibson had commissioned a screenplay from Joe Eszterhas about the Maccabees. The film is to be distributed by Warner Brothers Pictures. The announcement generated significant controversy.[111] In April 2012, Eszterhas wrote a letter to Gibson accusing him of sabotaging their film about the Maccabees because he "hates Jews", and citing a series of private incidents during which he allegedly heard Gibson express extremely racist views. Although written as a private letter, it was subsequently published on a film industry website.[112] In response, Gibson stated that he still intends to make the film, but will not base it upon Eszterhas's script, which he called substandard.[113] Eszterhas then claimed his son had secretly recorded a number of Gibson's alleged "hateful rants".[114] In a 2012 interview, Gibson explained that the Maccabees film was still in preparation. He explained that he was drawn to the Biblical account of the uprising due to its similarity to the American Old West genre.[110]

In June 2016, Gibson announced that he will reunite with Braveheart screenwriter Randall Wallace to make a sequel for The Passion of the Christ, focusing on the resurrection of Jesus.[115] In early November 2016, Gibson revealed on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert that the sequel's title will be The Passion of the Christ: Resurrection. He also stated that the project could "probably be three years off" because "it's a big subject".[116]

In May 2018, it was announced that Gibson would be directing a WWII film titled Destroyer.[117] Destroyer, similar to Hacksaw Ridge, will also deal with the Battle of Okinawa in the Pacific Theater, although from a different front. It will be based on the heroic story of the crew belonging to USS Laffey (DD-724), who defended their ship from 22 kamikaze attacks.

As of 2019, Gibson's cancelled projects included a Richard Donner-helmed film with the working title Sam and George.[118]

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.