George Harrison Yahoo! Chat Transcript - 02/15/2001

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought you guys might enjoy this.

George Harrison Yahoo! Chat Transcript
    02/15/2001

ChatYahoo_Lisa: Welcome to Yahoo! Chat

ChatYahoo_Lisa: We are here with George Harrison

george_harrison_live: Hello!

george_harrison_live: It's nice to be here!

george_harrison_live: It's my first time on a computer... I'm pretty illiterate :)

yahoomusic asks: What made you decide to re-issue All Things Must Pass now?

george_harrison_live: It's the 30th anniversary and I'm in the process of remastering my entire catalog

george_harrison_live: Which I want to get back into the stores

george_harrison_live: So we started with that one

george_harrison_live: and hopefully during the year

george_harrison_live: We'll be able to come with the next batch and so on

george_harrison_live: So that everything I have ever done will be available.

morvyon asks: George, are you planning a new studio album?

george_harrison_live: Yeah.

george_harrison_live: I hope to put out a new studio album

george_harrison_live: Possibly in November

george_harrison_live: and I have at the moment many songs in various states of completion

george_harrison_live: Possibly 35 songs that I have been working on over the years.

yahoomusic asks: Do you surf the internet much? What types of things do you do online?

george_harrison_live: No, I never surf

george_harrison_live: I don't know the password.

willowy_blonde asks: Hi, my boyfriend wants to know, he's a musician what's your fave electric guitar and do you still have "Rocky" your '61 fender strat?

george_harrison_live: Hello willowy blonde!

george_harrison_live: I still have Rocky!

george_harrison_live: and he can be seen at Cyril's rare guitar shop on allthingsmustpass.com

timbarwick asks: Will you be releasing Living in the Material World in a remastered/extra tracks version?

george_harrison_live: Well, as I said before

george_harrison_live: That will be the next one to be remastered

george_harrison_live: I have to get into my tape library to find out if there are any alternate versions of anything.

silbeat asks: Hi George! Glad to hear from you again! Are you planning to do any live performances? If so, where would you like to play? (Please include Argentina!!!). With love from Argentina. Sole, Mara, Silvi, Vale, Gilda, Ale, Sami and Graciela.

george_harrison_live: Hello Argentina! :)

george_harrison_live: At the moment I have no plans for live performances

george_harrison_live: If I do later, I will certainly come to Argentina

rbortega2001 asks: What did you think of Bob Dylan getting nominated for an Oscar?

george_harrison_live: I think he should win it!

george_harrison_live: I think he should win ALL the Oscars

george_harrison_live: all the Tonys

george_harrison_live: all the Grammys

pcpalmiere asks: How has The Rutles influenced your career?

george_harrison_live: I got all my ideas from The Rutles!

george_harrison_live: particularly the 12-string Rickenbacker and slide guitar styles I got from Stig O'Hara.

george_harrison_live: I met him once and he is a super chap.

oldmanalex asks: Hello from Russia, George! Russian fans invite you to play in Moscow! Can you tell, will the Traveling Wilburys reform? Are there any plans to record something with Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne?

george_harrison_live: Thank you Russian fans!

george_harrison_live: I'll be there after Argentina!

nattyrobbo asks: Hi George! I'm Natalie, an 18 y.o. girl from Australia, and I'm a HUGE fan. Any hints for a budding guitarist???

george_harrison_live: Yes.

george_harrison_live: Buy a ukulele!

mike_n_tex asks: George, do you ever see a reunion tour with you and Paul and Ringo?

george_harrison_live: Stranger things have happened.

flatcat65 asks: George, Which version of My Sweet Lord do you like best, your original or the new version?

george_harrison_live: I like the new version better.

george_harrison_live: Because it's new!

george_harrison_live: and I like Sam Brown singing it.

ChatYahoo_Lisa: Why did you re-visit it?

george_harrison_live: At the time, the song was so popular and also so controversial that the most important thing about it for me was that it

george_harrison_live: in it's small way

george_harrison_live: conjured up a touch of spirituality

george_harrison_live: something we are very short of...

ChristopherClause asks: Hi George! Christopher here! Thank you for being such an inspiration! What was it like working with Phil Spector? Although I can hear his influence, your "influence" and leadership in the production is clear. God bless you, George!

george_harrison_live: Phil Spector was prob the greatest producer from the 60s and it was good to work with him because I needed some assistance in the control box.

george_harrison_live: Phil is very funny

george_harrison_live: loveable

george_harrison_live: we love him :)

mebissy asks: I have several teenage friends who've just discovered All Things Must Pass. They were wondering about radio airplay. I explained that this was a re-mastered, etc. album - a re-release essentially. They, however (as do I) feel the music is just as cool as it was when you first released the work. Wouldn't it be great if a single was selected and the whole cycle could start again?

george_harrison_live: It's nice to know that teenagers find All Things Must Pass *cool*

george_harrison_live: As far as a single goes,

george_harrison_live: I suppose that's really up to Capitol Records

george_harrison_live: I have no objection!

melissay1 asks: Hi, Mr. Harrison, how do you feel about the Beatles 1 album being top of the charts?

george_harrison_live: It's very nice

george_harrison_live: It's also nice that young children seem to be hearing it for the first time

george_harrison_live: and I think as an alternative form of music for today

george_harrison_live: it has its place alongside all this other stuff.

captainwombat_2000 asks: Out of curiosity, why the garden gnomes on All Things Must Pass?

george_harrison_live: Originally, when we took the photo

george_harrison_live: I had these old Bavarian gnomes

george_harrison_live: which I thought I would put there

george_harrison_live: like kinda... John, Paul, George and Ringo

george_harrison_live: gnomes are very popular in Europe

george_harrison_live: and these gnomes were made in about 1860

george_harrison_live: so, while building the website

george_harrison_live: the gnomes just seemed to get into it and we just couldn't stop them!

gearfabasitwere asks: Is Indian music still a big infuence on your music?

george_harrison_live: Yes!

ChatYahoo_Lisa: anything particular?

george_harrison_live: Check out U. Srinivas a South Indian electric mandolin player

george_harrison_live: eat your heart out Van Halen!

moosefalva101 asks: Following the incident at your house on Dec. 1999 has your outlook on life changed at all?

george_harrison_live: Yes and no.

george_harrison_live: Adi Shankara an Indian historical, spiritual, groovy-type person once said

george_harrison_live: "Life is fragile, like a raindrop on a lotus leaf."

george_harrison_live: and you better believe it!

Nicole_Paul asks: I am curious about your website and the way the cover photo is altered by adding roads and urban development to the picture. Does that symbolize anything?

george_harrison_live: Yes.

george_harrison_live: It symbolizes that our world is being concreted over. Haven't you noticed?

bluejeanbaby42001 asks: George, you have quite a reputation as a gardener...What are some of your "pride & joy" plants? Love, Dianne

george_harrison_live: Well, for the cooler climates (as in England)

george_harrison_live: The current trend is definitely toward Miscanthus

george_harrison_live: You'll find many lovely varieties

george_harrison_live: try the Zebrensis and also the Malepartis

george_harrison_live: However,

george_harrison_live: if you're gardening in the tropics

george_harrison_live: I think you'll find a lovely little ginger called Kahili :p

a_t_m98 asks: Mr. Harrison.. what is the opening chord you used for "A Hard Days Night"?

george_harrison_live: It is F with a G on top (on the 12-string)

george_harrison_live: But you'll have to ask Paul about the bass note to get the proper story.

hari_girl asks: What do you think of Eminem's grammy nomination?

george_harrison_live: What's Eminem?

george_harrison_live: Aren't they choclates or something?

beatles_lvr asks: You started the "band aid" movement; who would you help today? Love you George!!

george_harrison_live: Bob Geldof!

Moyette asks: What did you record with Bill Wyman last month?

george_harrison_live: :) An old Ketty Lester song called "Love Letters"

sharonconcannon2000 asks: Why was "I Live For You" left out of the original mix? (I think it's lovely, thank you for putting out at last!)

george_harrison_live: I didn't think that we had got a good enough take on it.

george_harrison_live: Except for Pete Drake, the pedal steel guitar player.

george_harrison_live: At that time, I had so many other tracks as well,

george_harrison_live: so we just left it off.

george_harrison_live: It did need patching up

george_harrison_live: in the drum department.

pcpalmiere asks: How close are you to releasing that boxed set of unreleased songs and demos you talked about in Billboard some time back?

george_harrison_live: Well, hopefully during this year I should at least get out a new album and all the other boxes of unreleased demos could possibly follow in 18 months. I'm trying to get everything that has ever been done out there. It'll just take a little time.

nikolaidisgm asks: George, what do you miss most about John Lennon?

george_harrison_live: John Lennon.

michaelcalcina asks: George: In the Anthology book, you talk about the unwound G string. What is that? I play guitar and I'm not sure what you're talking about.

george_harrison_live: It's one of those little things that goes up your butt so that people can't see your pantylines.

george_harrison_live: No, It's actually a 3rd string that doesn't have a winding around it.

spongeweed70508 asks: Does Paul still piss you off (tell us the truth)

george_harrison_live: Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass -- You know his faults -- Then let his foibles pass.

george_harrison_live: Old Victorian Proverb.

george_harrison_live: I'm sure there's enough about me that pisses him off, but I think we have now grown old enough to realize

george_harrison_live: that we're both pretty damn cute!

incantataa asks: Mr. Harrison, I was wondering if you might tell us a bit about your ideas on love. Romantic love, that is. I recall you having written some of the Beatles' most beatiful love songs. It would be interesting to hear how your religious attitudes have impacted your beliefs concerning romanticism.

george_harrison_live: Well, the lover that we miss is actually God.

george_harrison_live: The beauty that you see within each other is actually God.

george_harrison_live: So, Krishna was the greatest romanticist. He had girlfriends on every corner!

george_harrison_live: I can't seperate the two -- a beautiful girl is the divine mother, a beautiful man is the manifestation of potential.

fabzzy asks: You're joking in a most Pythonistic manner tonight George.., it's great to hear you online!!!

george_harrison_live: PISS OFF!!

george_harrison_live: You nosy bastard!

i_arcos asks: Is it true that you recorded "Homeward Bound" with P. Simon?

george_harrison_live: I recorded that with Paul Simon on Saturday Night Live back in 1853.

tnntxx asks: George, given the drug experimentation of the 60's, how do you feel about the legalitzation of pot?

george_harrison_live: Well, I saw someone on TV last night pulling out huge loads of pot out of various fields in California. My feeling is...

george_harrison_live: as long as you can go into a store and buy

george_harrison_live: whiskey

george_harrison_live: bourbon

george_harrison_live: and all the rest of it

george_harrison_live: then, a little grass is nothing.

george_harrison_live: the authorities are just causing the price to be high -- 'scuse the pun.

ckeavenyuk asks: Have you any tips to budding songwiters? Do you, as John apparantly advised you stick at it until you have finished it.

george_harrison_live: Try and write some melodies. And some words that mean something.

george_harrison_live: It is true that if you are on a roll, then it's best to finish it in one go.

george_harrison_live: That's what Johnny said.

kdtash asks: Any chance that the Dark Horse material, esp. Shankar Family and Friends will be released on CD?

george_harrison_live: Well, along with my own catalog of records

george_harrison_live: the other Dark Horse records

george_harrison_live: hopefully will be finding a new home

george_harrison_live: and coming out on CDs (remastered) sometime in the future.

mp0071999 asks: Hey George will you be ever be back on Yahoo?

george_harrison_live: Possibly. It's pretty painless for me.

kyntire2001 asks: Happy Birthday (a little early). During your recent Internet video promoting All Things Must Pass, you pointed to an engraving on the back of your guitar. What did the engraving say?

george_harrison_live: It's a Maclaren strat and it had a metal chassis number plate on the back.

george_harrison_live: Thank you all!

george_harrison_live: May God bless you all.

george_harrison_live: Don't forget to say all your prayers tonight.

george_harrison_live: Be good little souls.

george_harrison_live: Lots of Love!

george_harrison_live: George.

george_harrison_live: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

ChatYahoo_Lisa: Thank you sooo much for joining us....pretty please come back soon!

george_harrison_live: Check out allthingsmustpass.com.

george_harrison_live: for further entertainment!

ChatYahoo_Lisa: Bye everyone!

joeislive likes this.
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought you guys might enjoy this, too.

George Harrison - February, 2001

Thirty years ago, former Beatle, George Harrison released his quintessential three LP set, All Things Must Pass. Forward thirty years and you have the reissue of ATMP on a double CD set.

Featuring guest artists like Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, and Badfinger, All Things Must Pass is a collection of Harrison's best work, with a bonus track of My Sweet Lord in addition to twenty-seven other works.

Edited for clarity.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    Welcome to MSN Live! Tonight MSN Live and allthingsmustpass.com present a very special event with former Beatle, George Harrison who is celebrating the re-release of his hit album, "All Things Must Pass." It's hard to believe thirty years have passed since ATMP topped the charts with hits like "My Sweet Lord." Join us tonight as we talk about music history with legend, George Harrison.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    George, it's an honour to meet you, Sir. Welcome to MSN Live!

George Harrison says:
    Hello, good evening! How's your father! How's your uncle?

Digital Dish Diva says:
    George, the Internet was not a part of your promotion last time around for "All Things Must Pass." What part does the Internet play in promotion for "ALL Things Must Pass" now?

George Harrison says:
    I suppose the fact that it is just like this. And everyone is listening. It eliminates the time of someone printing up a newspaper.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    SR says: Is it true that you were really asked to join the Beatles because you knew all the chords to "Twenty Flight Rock"?

George Harrison says:
    No! Paul knew "Twenty Flight Rock" but I did too.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    Spockmiester55 Asks: What is the difference between the old and new release if any?

George Harrison says:
    The new release is remastered and is much much better to the record that existed up until now and it has five bonus tracks on it. It also has new packaging.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    Sherwood Asks: Will your other past releases receive the deluxe treatment as "All Things Must Pass" did?

George Harrison says:
    It depends really. They will all be remastered. Whether the artwork will change, I don't know. It depends what we feel at the time and what the record company feels at the time.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    jerryfender Asks: Don't you miss the old packaging with albums versus CD's? "All Things Must Pass" was great because even the box was huge!

George Harrison says:
    Twelve-inch square artwork gets you more scope and greater impact. Those days the album cover used to be part of the overall package. It seems to become less important because it is smaller and not so many people are interested in the artwork.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    doodah says: Where were you spiritually then when you wrote the lyrics for "My Sweet Lord," and where are you now spiritually? Have you grown?

George Harrison says:
    Swami Vivekananda said "If there is a God, we must see him. And if there is a soul we must perceive it." In the West they still argue if God really exists. Basically, I am in the same place. The song really came from Swami Vivekananda.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    iluvgeorge says: Will you be touring?

George Harrison says:
    At the moment, no.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    lidbaby says: Any musicians you like right now?

George Harrison says:
    Hoagy Carmichael but there are many, many, many musicians.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    babe says: Is most of what's been written about you pure rubbish? Is there any one book that's more accurate than any other?

George Harrison says:
    The one that is the most accurate is "The Beatles" by the Beatles. When a book is written by someone who doesn't like you, it may not be very good.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    WildingTangent Asks: Are you still writing and recording songs? How would your style of music these days?

George Harrison says:
    I am still doing that, yes. Hopefully, there will be one coming out at the end of the year.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    tedsblues Asks: Re: recording. . .analog or digital?

George Harrison says:
    I have always recorded analog except when I was in a live concert. Generally, I record on analog but I hear that digital these days is getting better. The bandwidth is getting better.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    arainyfriday Asks: Looking back, how do you view your book "I, Me, Mine"? If it were to be rereleased, would you make changes based on perspective you have gained over the years?

George Harrison says:
    It was ok for the time. I thought it was well made. It was an excuse to have a nice leather book like the Bible.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    liam0241 Asks: What was the inspiration for the song "Run of the Mill"?

George Harrison says:
    There was an expression that came from a place called Yorkshire where they made fabric. Run of the mill just means average. I was using that phrase more or less, because, the Beatles were just splitting up. I don't know if they had that expression in America.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    sasha says: Hi, Mr. Harrison. My dad and I like your site. Did you do it?

George Harrison says:
    I am not a technician. But I sat with people from Radical Media. They came to my house and set up the computers. The technicians did it and I kept thinking of ideas. I didn't have a concept of what a website was and I still don't understand the concept. I wanted to see little people poking each other with sticks much like Monty Python.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    You can check out George Harrison's website at allthingsmustpass.com

Digital Dish Diva says:
    rico Asks: What do you wish you could do, that you haven't done already?

George Harrison says:
    Dematerialize my body.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    OKRichH says: I consider this a great privilege to chat with you. Was the recording of "All Things Must Pass" a fulfilling outlet for you?

George Harrison says:
    Yeah, at the time it was very fulfilling- a chance to do a record of my own material.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    Brit says: What's the most popular misconception about you that people have?

George Harrison says:
    That I am serious. Pisces are depicted as two fish going in opposite directions. Many people do not see my humorous side.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    Beat says: Are you interested in all in the different sounds that electronics can add to guitar sounds, or are you more of a 'back to basics' advocate?

George Harrison says:
    More of back to basics. I really like the sounds they had in the 50's. Now you just buy something and plug it in. You can sound like Jimi Hendrix or whoever and everyone sounds the same.

Digital Dish Diva says:
    jediprincess00 Asks: What would you like to say to the younger generation that looks up to you?

George Harrison says:
    Try to realize what the purpose of being in a body is. There is only one purpose really and that is what you have to try to not forget. "Who am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going?"

Digital Dish Diva says:
    And on that note, George, it has been a pleasure having you as our guest tonight!

George Harrison says:
    Lots of love and kevlar to everyone!

George Harrison says:
    It has been nice talking to you. Please enjoy the website!

joeislive likes this.
  3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Hi AKA,
    Thanks for posting this. A funny interview.

George goofed on the chord for A Hard Day's Night which is a G mi7 with a C thrown in on the G string (G minor 7th with an added 11th - I think).

"But you'll have to ask Paul about the bass note to get the proper story."

Does anyone know what the story is?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks! I enjoyed that...:thumbsup:

5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Yes-Thank you for posting this! In addition to these interviews, George also consented to a recorded interview that was issued to radio shortly after the ATMP reissue. It's about 15 minutes long and is available in several places online. You can try winmx.com or another file sharing service. Type "George Harrison Interview 2-15-01" into search and it should come up. It's similarly interesting. The guy was just so cool.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Re: 2001 Yahoo Chat George Harrison.

Interesting to read the comments George states about Dark Horse records catalog of other Artists eventually planned to get be reissued sometime.

"kdtash asks: Any chance that the Dark Horse material, esp. Shankar Family and Friends will be released on CD?

george_harrison_live: Well, along with my own catalog of records

george_harrison_live: the other Dark Horse records

george_harrison_live: hopefully will be finding a new home

george_harrison_live: and coming out on CDs (remastered) sometime in the future.

At least George was Positive and interested to make plans for the Dark Horse catalog for CD reissue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.