' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I was testing out my home theater for sound and used this movie for demo purposes.
    Picture off.

2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Son of Kong vs Son Of Godzilla

[​IMG]

bpmd1962 and The Revealer like this.
  3. Partyslammer

Shawn likes this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are you forgetting where you are? That kind of logic doesn't fly on the SHF. :p

6. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I thought it was a great Kaiju movie, it was much better then I expected it to be after the horrible Godzilla KOTM movie. This one moved quickly and had intense action that the director allowed the audience to actually see and experience in detail rather then a bunch of quick jumbled cuts like a music video (aka Godzilla KOTM). Multiple Kaiju fights, multiple locations/cities got completely wrecked, militaries got wrecked and it was all visible on screen and well done. Not sure what else you'd want in a Kaiju movie. It even gives a definitive winner in the Godzilla/Kong battles. It was as good as a modern American Godzilla movie could be IMHO. Highly recommended, it exceeded my expectations.

MedozK, BeatleJWOL and Shawn like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I keep wanting to like these 2014-date Godzilla/Kong movies, but each one has disappointed.

Add "GvK" to the list.

Incomprehensible "plot" with far too much time wasted on superfluous humans and nonsense.

Essentially 2 separate movies jammed together, but unlike chocolate/peanut butter, they don't really mesh.

Basically "KONG! (Featured Godzilla)". Not enough character balance.

Some decent action when they finally let the movie live up to the title but the rest of it made me want to nap.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I enjoy most of these these monster movies if they're well done. But Kong vs Godzilla seems to me as illogical as Batman vs Superman or even Captain America vs Iron Man. In all three cases the latter could obliterate the former from a safe distance.

In other words, couldn't Godzilla incinerate Kong in about five seconds?

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

They going to have a memorial service for all those lost on boats and in skyscrapers?

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well I just made my triumphant return to the movie theater in California. Booked myself a seat via fandango a luxury as there’s a two dollar service fee but it was senior day and only six bucks so I splurged. I also splurged for popcorn with butter. Now that’s really rare! But going to the snack bar was doubly annoying. For some reason the intelligence behind Covid control says it’s better to have only one person behind the candy counter instead of three
    Employees bumping elbows. Well maybe, except for the fact that you then have a huge crowd Waiting. Stupid. It’s incredible how stupid people are. Anyway despite my Grand return to the movies ....

I managed to make it through 55 minutes of this utter nonsense known as Godzilla versus Kong Kong before I walked out...

Glad to know everything is back to normal.

SandAndGlass and Scott222C like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Thanks for taking one for the team.

bpmd1962 and Ghostworld like this.
  12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I fell asleep twice while watching this.

13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The fight was rigged.

The Revealer likes this.
  14. Pizza

That’s hilarious. Most of the battles are in the second half.

15. Oatsdad

The movie or my post? :D

16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The movie, your post wasn’t that long...

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I can't even remember the last movie I saw at the theatre. It was about a week or two before Covid caused initial closures in late February or early March 2020. Even though I want so see some of the movies that have been released in the past year, not to mention ones due to be released later this Spring and Summer, I have no plans to go to theatres yet. Even after I get fully vaccinated, I won't go for quite some time. I get my first shot tomorrow and then I will be told when I get my 2nd shot a few weeks later. And with all these recent surges due to lax restrictions allowed by various state governors, who knows when or if things get back to normal.

At least I can strike this movie off my list of potential movies to see, based on all the bad reviews and all the comments in this thread.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  18. Pizza

I look at it this way: Would I rather regret not seeing something I wanted to because it may be bad - or - regret seeing something that turned out disappointing. I always choose the latter. My wife and I were visiting the UK and was outside the Sherlock Holmes museum. It gave a cheesy vibe but I posed that question to her. We went. It was cheesy but glad I checked it out anyway otherwise I’d be wondering what it was like.

The Revealer likes this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

My money's on Son of Kong in this bout.

Son of Kong looks like an early version of Baby Sinclair from the TV series "Dinosaurs". I wonder if he's pink like Baby Sinclair is/was...

20. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

GvK was as illogical as any 60s Ishiro Honda movie. Fuzzy plot, stupid villains, kids communicating with monsters, hero lady, scientist who's the world authority on whatever. When Comet or TCM has a marathon I just leave them running. It feels good to flick off the logic switch.

21. Oatsdad

Only fell asleep once during my post?

22. Oatsdad

"GvK" has largely positive reviews - 75% from critics on RT:

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

Also 93% from audience. That's excellent!

23. Partyslammer

The last movie I saw in a theater was the last Jurassic Park movie. It was a mid-week matinee and there was only about half a dozen other people in the theater. Unfortunately, this couple sitting near us kept playing with their phones and even made and took calls (loudly) several times throughout the movie. At one point, they got into a shouting match with another guy who was rightfully pissed off and apparently tried to get them thrown out to no avail.

So yeah, I haven't been missing the theater "experience" this past year plus.

24. inperson

inperson Senior Member

The movie is trash. The humans are totally useless and everyone is so snarky to each other for no reason. The only useful human is the deaf girl. It's like parts were made up as the movie was being made. Kong and the hollow kingdom stuff? Stupid.
    I saw it in a pretty good theater but the sound was way too loud (I know that is an old man thing to say) my ears were still ringing the next day.

25. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Another American inconvenienced by safety measures in a pandemic. Tragic.

Walt and The Revealer like this.