Is this the new way of shill bidding on eBay?

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by David R. Modny, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

Yep, unfortunately one of the pitfalls of buying used on eBay (vs. a live demo). Though, this seller's feedback at least seems to indicate that he's not selling lemons.

There are other people though who are just looking to clean out their closets and still command top tier prices (often innocently). Their idea of "works great" is actually "turns on and makes sound." It's always a crap shoot, but hopefully good feedback is *some* indicator.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wonder where I can get the orginal replacement bulbs for my Marantz receiver? I should go ahead and fix that. These amps do light up a really amazing color of blue when they are on and working right. It pushes all the right buttons we have in our memories.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The fire started on the 4th Floor!

On a related note, Dave did you ever see the advertisments for these receivers in the (very) old Stereo Review?

"The fire started on the 4th Floor" or something like that?

4. David R. Modny

Probably (you guessed it!) eBay. I think I've seen replacement kits there. I doubt that they're "originals" so-to-speak, but we're talking light bulbs here...lol.

5. David R. Modny

Can't remember anything offhand. I do have a stack of old 70's SR's around here somewhere though. On a related note, a friend of mine had a dad in the Navy and I still have his old 70's catalogs - with full pictures and descriptions of all these beauties. That's where many of these pieces of gear got bought in the first place - by servicemen with their military discounts.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was a gear head at 12, 13, and 14 years old even. So I would look at all these pieces the first time around. And there was no way I could afford any of it. So now a 100 years later, I still feel that kid who wants these models. I know it's kind of odd. Same with music, I was into it early thankfully.

Anyway, the ad showed a nearly completely scorched toasted Marantz unit, and it went on to tell the story about the fire it went through. And that when the fire reached the 7th floor it burned that amp, the amp fell to the basement where it landed in the water from the fire dept. extinguishers.

They put a new cord on it, and plugged in headphones, all lights lit up, and bingo you know the end of the story.

But the inner child in me still wants those cool vintage units I could not have back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.