Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

The Dohnanyi/Cleveland Bruckner 9 is one of the greatest hits of my collection, a fraught performance depicting inner suffering-- quite a contrast to the brassy, glorious Giulini approach to the symphony.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Very good! :edthumbs:

SteelyTom likes this.
  3. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

I agree. The other thread is pretty much just pictures of what people are listening to on their turntables anyway. (I joke, but only just).

Gardo and bluemooze like this.
  4. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

"The Dohnanyi/Cleveland Bruckner 9 is one of the greatest hits of my collection, a fraught performance depicting inner suffering-- quite a contrast to the brassy, glorious Giulini approach to the symphony."

Another version that should be considered top shelf is the Bruno Walter, Bruckner 9. The recording quality is good too, considering its age, it is from a series of recordings in what is considered the "Indian Autumn" of his recording career. It was recorded at the Hollywood Legion Hall using the best of musicians that the Hollywood Studio System had to offer.

Adam9 and bluemooze like this.
  5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think the thread is a fine idea. however it is the kind of topic that generally belongs in the Long and Winding Threads because people end up talking about personal things in conversation. Therefore it is probably better being password protected.

6. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Just stumbled across this. Nice idea for a thread @bluemooze ! Now if we could only get the best burger recommendations back! They disappeared before I could make note of everyone's suggestions :D

7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I listened to the last three movements of Sunlief Rasmussen's sax concerto this morning - I was only planning on listening to one movement but once I start I tend to get addicted and can't put it down. Classical music is funny because I can look at Facebook for a couple of seconds while I'm listening but I can't really do anything else and especially driving can be rough, when it's not late at night on the freeway.

scompton, SteelyTom and Tanx like this.
  8. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Volodos is weird. I have him doing the Tchaikovsky Bb minor and he is just weird. Some kind of psycho shower of notes.

SteelyTom and bluemooze like this.
  9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm feeling a little out of sorts today; some kind of stomach thing-not sure what or why. I had to cut my gym workout short.
    Something like this will make me feel better. From the Marriner/ASMF-The Argo Years box.

[​IMG]

Marzz, SteelyTom and Eigenvector like this.
  10. bluemooze

I just returned from a mile hike (that's a big thing for this geezer) on the local trails. It's 72 degrees here. Unbelievable.

Eigenvector likes this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It's 87 here. That's a bit much for February, even in Texas!

12. bluemooze

Thanks for your suggestions. We are modeled on the very long-running Classical Music Corner thread which is here in Music Corner, but more inclusive. Other than recipes, I don't expect anyone to get super personal (unless maybe Hilary Hahn's husband starts posting) :)

13. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

14. bluemooze

If we get lucky, maybe we can get some of those re-posted. :)

SteelyTom and Eigenvector like this.
  15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

since this is a thread where we are allowed to go off on tangents: Dohnanyi Sr. (i.e. Erno von) was my little girl's favorite when she was one years old. Before she could really talk she would go to the record shelf and pull down the Eb minor quintet every afternoon and make us play the record for her.

16. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

This thread is a good idea indeed, bluemooze, even if you shamelessly stole my friend Lonson's introduction (but he's fine with it, therefore so am I :)).

This place makes me want to post the title of my 52 favorite operas (give or take a couple ;)) and ask you people what are yours.

Seriously. A relaxing ambiance is what we need, all around.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Eigenvector likes this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm listening to Jethro Tull right now...just sayin' :hide:

Mowgli and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  18. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Hey, there's flute, a classical instrument, so it kind of connects!

DeepFloyd11, bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  19. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Wozzeck, Lulu, La Boheme, Turandot, Madama Butterfly, Moses und Aron, aus einem Totenhaus, The Devils of Loudoun, das Rheingold, St. Francis of Assisi, the Fiery Angel, Mephistophele, Boris Godunov, Khovanschina, Betrothal in a Monastery, Salome, Elektra, Daphne, What Next?, Gotterdammerung, Griffelkin, die Walkure. off the top of my head.

royzak2000, bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  20. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

True, but Ian Anderson makes more noise than Glenn Gould. :uhhuh:

ChadL72, 3rd Uncle Bob and JamesD1957 like this.
  22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Right now I'm listening to Elliott Carter oboe quartet (oboe and string trio,)

23. bluemooze

That is a beautiful thing. She's lucky she had such great music to listen to at such an early age. My introduction to classical music was from a certain few TV cartoons that used to get played back in the 50's. :)

Gardo likes this.
  24. bluemooze

Thanks for your kind words.

I've been listening to operas more and more over the last few years in a deliberate attempt to expand my musical horizons. I've got about a hundred of them on vinyl and CD, and recently acquired CD box sets of Verdi (3 of them), Donizetti, Puccini and Wagner (2). Also a box set of French operas conducted by Michel Plasson and the 70 CD Maria Callas box. Needless to say, I'm still working my way through all this stuff and haven't yet digested/comprehended it or even listened to all of it, but the one thing I've learned that I didn't realize before is how different and unique everyone's voices are.

So if you are moved to post about operas, then (to quote Kirsten Dunst in her most famous role) bring it on. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Sherm and Jacline like this.
  25. bluemooze

Alright, this will be a good litmus test of our new thread's intentions. If your post is still here a week from now, then we're good. :righton: