McCartney, Wings & "WILD LIFE" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Top 3 for me, with Ram amd London Town. No question those are the 3 I have spun the most.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Sure thing. In fact, I'll be enclosing one of these choice bills, which you can use in any store:

[​IMG] ;)

3. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Due to it's reputation in the history books I read as a kid I never bothered to listen to 'Wild Life' until I was in my mid-30's.

Loved it. Great homemade vibe. Listen without prejudice.

somnar, Rfreeman, Paulwalrus and 4 others like this.
  4. swampwader

swampwader Forum Resident

I like the entire album but I just voted for my top 2 - Some People Never Know & Dear Friend.

"Some people can sleep at nighttime..." etc .. best McCartney bridge IMO , a melodic delight.. I could listen to that middle 8 all day..

Played my orig US LP today and a visiting friend remarked about "superb early 70s analog sound" during the first couple songs and I agree with that.

Love Is Strange is by far my least favorite but it still fits the vibe so well. Linda's backing vocals redeem it!

Paulwalrus and blutiga like this.
  5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I hear it like that too. The first time I heard it was many many years after I had been a teenage Beatle fan, but had just never gotten to hear most of the Wild Life album back then. When I finally heard this song I thought...why isn't this recognised as one of his greatest songs? Why did this song never get mentioned in the piles of books and magazines and articles I read back then? Its a beautiful bittersweet masterpiece. But then I love the whole album.

maccafan and Paulwalrus like this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Pretty much my story as to why I never got to hear this album until I was in my mid thirties as well. Same with Ram. I'm kinda glad there was two albums left for me to discover and saviour as an older man now. So thank you history books for misguiding me and giving me a sweet surprise later in life!!!

Paulwalrus, Nick Dunning and foxylady like this.
  7. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'Ram' I knew from very early (aged about 13). Always rated it, but believed the history books about the follow-up (and 'Red Rose Speedway', which was another great discovery later).

blutiga likes this.
  8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm a huge fan of those sorts of scat-influenced or a la Zappa, what I call "Googly Moogly" lyrics. "Rubber Biscuit" by the Chips and "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen are a couple of my favorite songs, both lyrically and musically. I love literal scat singing--from Ella to Scatman John, and stuff like "Minnie the Moocher". I love the chorus to "Radio Ga Ga" and "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" and so on.

Part of the reason why is probably because I think that lyrics should be subservient to music--I'm someone who normally pays very little attention to lyrics when I listen to music, and these types of lyrics treat lyrics (almost) purely as musical sounds.

But it's also just that scat/googly moogly lyrics are a lot of fun, as are lyrics such as "Why Don't We Do It in the Road", which I'm also a fan of lyrically.

When I listen to Wild Life I can't help but sing along to "Bip Bop", and I don't want it to end.

And I'd better get a Christmas card.

Paulwalrus and 905 like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You'll receive a card just for mentioning "Minnie the Moocher". ;)

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Thanks!!!:goodie:

11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Those aren't the only sorts of lyrics I like when I'm paying attention to lyrics, by the way, and I also like folks like Bob Dylan and Lou Reed as lyricists, but in my opinion the vast majority of pop rock lyrics, including a lot of stuff that's routinely praised, is uninteresting.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No puppet.
    No puppet.
    You're the puppet!

TonyR and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  13. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I went with Some People Never Know, Tomorrow and Dear Friend.
    I float away with Some People Never Know, I always thought this is a good album too

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

McCartney's ugly dumpling album along with McCartney II.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

McCartney II now that's a classic. :righton::winkgrin:

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Only temporary. :laugh:

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hahahahahaha!!:laugh:

alexpop likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

19. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Wild Life and Dear Friend are incredible! Paul's vocals on these two songs are simply breathtaking! Masterpieces.

20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Voted Some People Never Know, Tomorrow and Dear Friend (my fave). Don't really like Love is Strange or I am Your Singer.

21. alexpop

Every time I pop a cork I think of that song.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I like "Bip Bop." There, I said it.

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

The Bip Rules! Just sayin.
    Love it, love it, love it!!!

blutiga, 905, Paulo Alm and 1 other person like this.
  24. alexpop

Bet your bottom dollar it's Arnie's fave.:)

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I love everything about this weird and wonderful album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.