Micro scratches with Sleeve city diskkeeper

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 12" 45rpm, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

I discovered that the my records (Side B) that faces the rice paper/ poly has more micro scratches than that of the front.
    I also saw that when I made my first purchase a year ago, the rice paper was an off white. However the sleeves purchased
    six month ago, are a pure white. Does this so called Rice paper change overtime, even though it is subjected to darkness?

2. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Propping these sleeve is a difficult task due to they are very flimsy. What you have described is how I remove a record from a card stock sleeve.
    Inserting or extracting, I can hear the poly rubbing up again the bottom half of the LP. When I place a record into a paper exterior with a poly interior, it is silent. Needless to say, I have ordered a bunch of this type of configuration.

When storing my record(s), I have the sleeve opening to the top of the jacket when inserted into the jacket's side. This way, the record can not accidently side out.

3. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

These are micro scratches that are not visible under ordinary light. Hence the term Micro.

4. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Sorry Hardcore, I was just in a grumpy mood at the time. :)

Hardcore likes this.
  5. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Correct, especially when these are "brand new" records. Not records found at a Flea Market for .50 Cents.

BrettyD and richbdd01 like this.
  6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Why do the vast, vast majority of the scratches seem to fall on a radial line?

You wouldn't expect that when sliding records into and out of something that is scratching them.

groovelocked likes this.
  7. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Why not? The record is not always placed in the sleeve in the same position all the time.

8. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

I have also taken the liberty of contacting the Attorney General in my state, and also the state of Tennessee.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. Phil Thien

Well I'm sort of questioning your conclusions here.

Scratches falling on a radial line, wouldn't be from a bad sleeve, right?

And yet your scratches seem to fall mostly on radial lines?

CBackley likes this.
  10. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Are you saying that this record was neglected? Just what do you consider the "radial line"?
    These sleeves adhere to the record when inserted. Which means, the complete surface is being touched by the
    sleeve. The scratches are from the beginning of the run, throughout the tracks, to the end of the run.

11. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Questions? There is nothing to question here. Instructed by my pears, we are going to take a brand
    new record, slide it into the sleeve a few times, and show the results via video. This will also be
    forwarded to the Attorney General(s) for further review. Naturally, since this will be a video (Legal) to
    prove the negligence of the manufacturer, it will not be posted to my YouTube account.

12. Phil Thien

A radial line is one that would extend from the center of the album, to any point on the circumference.

If your scratches fall mostly on these lines, then it wouldn't seem logical for them to be caused by the sleeve because each time you remove or insert the record, there is only a small portion of the album which would be moving in the correct direction (relative to the sleeve) to yield a radial scratch. The rest of the scratches would be parallel to those radial lines.

Also, any dust on the album is capable of scratching the vinyl as it is inserted/removed.

13. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Luckily, during our intermitted conversation, I was able to removed those micro scratches. I will be posting a video exactly like before, only minus those scratches.

14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am sure everybody here is dying to see it, especially the attorney general that could potentially be looking at buying some sleeves.

15. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

LOL, it would fall under "Manufacturing Defect". Since the company is only few states way, it won't be difficult to get my point across. :)

16. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

if the state is California there are rules about fruit so you might have problems with those pears

groovelocked, CBackley and Wes_in_va like this.
  17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

18. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

For "Mature" Audiences Only. :cool:

The video supplies evidence that micro abrasions can indeed be removed without damage to the record. As always there is no surface noises detected.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Greetings! I was wondering if you were able to remove those scratches? I too experienced the same issue. This is definitely a manufactures defect. And yet, Slim City continues to sell their inferior product because no one does anything about the problem.

20. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Hey Guy. what have you discovered? Being you have a count of 200 plus records, I would concentrate
    on the disc(s) you play frequently.

21. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

That is exactly the problem. They figure you'll let it slide and forget about it. If it this damage to an older record that I did not care about, I probably would have brushed it off. However, the record set that has these micro-abrasions was just purchased a few month ago from Germany.

22. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Hey Watt. Just letting you know that I have posted the video.

hi_watt likes this.
  23. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I tested all of these sleeves last year and it’s somewhere on the site. In brief - poly lined paper or the MA sleeves are the softest - standard or vintage paper is the roughest. They all can leave micro scratches.
    Handle your record carefully and the MFSL and Poly and such won’t. Flip the paper side up and hold the record so it isn’t touching the sleeve as you pull it out.

If you have static and the sleeves are clinging they WILL scratch. Either Anti-stat or clean with something like the degritter that doesn’t leave static.

Not sure how much more area there is to beat on this horse.

mikemoon, Hardcore and hi_watt like this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I haven't seen any issues with scratches thus far.

25. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

I wouldn't have noticed it on mine either, if it weren't for my desk lamp. It reveals any imperfections in vinyl. Comes in handy
    when purchasing albums via amazon.

richbdd01 likes this.