More Ebay stupidity

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Led9, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those who sell LP's to overseas buyers or heavy audio equipment, Ebay just put the kabash on all of that with their wonderful new policy. By the end of the year all sellers will responsible for return postage if a buyer claims an item is not as described. So if you sell an LP to somebody in Europe and they decide they don't like it you will A) give them their money back for the LP B) give them back the $20-30 postage they paid C)give them the $20-30 back for their return postage. Total loss: $40-60. But hey you get your record back! Expensive shipping on audio equipment would be a nightmare as well. Colossally stupid. How can one formally successful company make soooo many bad policy decisions over the years? I find it hard to fathom and I suspect there will be an uproar over this latest one.

Djoel likes this.
  2. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

the problem with ebay is that they one one business model for everything. Imho there should be two models, one for new items and one for used items, they are lumping used with new and it is wrong, there should be two sets of rules, one for new and another for used items. Personally i always cover return costs when i feel i have made a mistake in my listing but in circumstances where this is less clear then obviously i am less keen on being forced to cover the return. However it's not like i have a massive amount of returns to worry about so i can suffer the hits but you are right ebay can be stupid and the reason i believe is because they lump all sellers together the used an the new when these people should be treated differently !

3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

you can always include "all sales final" on your posting.

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Excellent news.... for dishonest buyers :shake:

Djoel and davidnboone like this.
  5. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

i agree with the 'what the heck' on this new policy. in the past ive purchased vinyl via ebay that was no where near its described condition. as a buyer getting stung, i wouldve taken advantage of this new policy.

scobb likes this.
  6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yeah, good luck with that strategy. :rolleyes:

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I stopped buying anything off eBay a long time ago. It's not worth the aggravation.

Jimmy B., sgb and Mark B. like this.
  8. muffmasterh

in such circumstances a seller worth his salt should offer the return post cost as i do. Those that do not there is always the negative fb option.

9. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

..and i should echo that i would use this new policy only if all other channels didnt work out.

Djoel likes this.
  10. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I only sell to the USA.

Djoel, SamS, Hamhead and 2 others like this.
  11. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

As a seller, eBay is my least desired option. As a buyer, it is pretty good as long as you only deal with sellers with 100% feedback ratings. Any less than 100% and its not worth the risk.

Jimmy B., Djoel, sgb and 1 other person like this.
  12. muffmasterh

yes that will cut no ice at all.....it is interesting that ebay I think still allow sellers to select a no returns option when in fact sellers have no option to accept returns, which is right and proper of course but ebay is being schizo on this

13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

And that's exactly why eBay has implemented this new policy. They're trying to win back all the buyers who have left over the past few years.

14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Somebody sent me the wrong item. They had the thing listed under the wrong title, by the wrong artist. It cody over 100 bucks and I had to eat the return shipping charges. At the end of the day I was left with nothing and a few bucks poorer. That's not fair.

sound chaser, scobb and eddiel like this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Why would this policy be a negative to buyers?

16. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

There's two sides to this... the new policy obviously benefits those buyers who've been screwed in the past by shoddy sellers, selling things that aren't as described, and then making the buyer pay to send it back. If you've ever been burned like this, I'm sure you'll sympathize.
    Buying used stuff online can never be 100% perfect for both parties.

17. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Why? Ebay is a buyer's paradise (as this new rule supports). All of the aggravation is aimed at the sellers.

Djoel and Jimmy Agates like this.
  18. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Exactly. Ebay (and Paypal) just about always bend over backwards to appease an unsatisfied buyer. And worse, in the case of Paypal.

sgb and Jimmy Agates like this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

One tiny upside is LP grading on ebay may improve. Everything is mint!!

scobb likes this.
  20. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I have been burned too, Mr. H, it sucks. But I learned long ago that "Fair", in regards to life and the natural world, is not a maxim. My advice is to lower your expectations and be willing to occasionally pay retail ;)

Mr. H likes this.
  21. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's certainly not a negative to buyers. It's enabling dishonest buyers to be even more dishonest. If you are selling vintage/graded items like LP's you can return anything under the guise of "not as described". I have one of the highest "as described" ratings of anybody selling LP's on Ebay and I still will not ship overseas anymore and give a buyer an opportunity to screw me out of $60 shipping for a $20 LP. Everything they do hinders sellers. Ebay needs to learn: No sellers=no buyers.

Djoel and no.nine like this.
  22. LambertHoroscope

LambertHoroscope Forum Resident

Yes, but idiotic buyers can leave idiotic feedback, and the seller is stuck with it, even though they can leave a response. Better to read what the negative feedback actually consists of, then make up your own mind. It's a flawed system.

eddiel likes this.
  23. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Ebay have killed it for me. By their policies of enforced tracking, and therefore higher postage, they would make me pay at least another $10 per LP. If I pay $10 extra postage on 300 Lp's a year I buy, that's an extra 3000 a year - when in 30 years I've had 1-2 issues.

Now, I either won'y buy off ebay sellers who force tracked shipping or if I figure it's really rare and I won't find it easily, I buy and have to get my LP's sent to my ex wife who lives in the states and she onships!

It's really ridiculous. They have killed it for many.

scobb likes this.
  24. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

It should be the sellers responsibility if they misrepresent the item! A few weeks back, I bought a Motown box set from an Amazon marketplace seller who said the item was LIKE NEW. I could have paid $10 more for a sealed copy. When I got the item, it was missing the booklet, was super dirty, box torn and discs scratched.Return shipping was $16, there's no way I should have to pay for that (I didn't).

marcb, scobb, RonW and 1 other person like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Quality sellers get frustrated with ebay and sell elsewhere(ie: locally). Then ebay becomes the worlds biggest junk shop.

Jimmy B., Blue Cactus, Djoel and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.