New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've got the JPC.de version - light blue as you describe. However...where is this light blue available readily in the U.S.? Nowhere that I'm aware of.

As near as I can tell, there are 3 colored vinyl versions available. There's the dark blue from the Springsteen site, the light sky blue from JPE.de (and other EU retailers?), and the mostly clear with wisps of blue and white from Barnes & Noble. The one version that doesn't appear to be available anywhere is clear blue smoke version as originally pictured on the JPC.de and B&N websites.

2. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

This album keeps calling me back. Initially, I didn’t connect with it. But with headphones, it makes me visualize the desert landscapes that inspired it.

The only track that I really don’t like is Miracle. In fact, when I heard that track before the album dropped, I figured I was done with Bruce. It’s just so bad, as a song and a production.

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I think the album is just OK. Nothing really grabs me...

smilin ed likes this.
  4. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I bought the album and am not a Bruce fan but just thought I would give it a shot.

I like it. Impressed. It’s like he started with Springsteen of old, added some Glen Campbell and a whole lot of the western / Copeland thing.

Actually it feels like if Aaron Copeland had a rock album it would be this.

RSteven, Dr. Zoom and PJayBe like this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

I thought Hello Sunshine made for a good closer. Then Moonlight Motel came on like an epilogue. I like the opener too. I still can't get quite used to the extent of Bruce's overall general change of phrasing, tone, and singing, going on 30 years or more now I guess lol. I guess I prefer more East Coast street sounding Bruce to put things bluntly, or something that just seems more effortlessly authentic to me, maybe rural Jersey Bruce or wailing banshee Steel Mill Bruce, but he's always used different voices and styles. I do like his vocals on WS. It sounds like he's really trying and is invested in the performances and is 'singing' for lack of a better term. An accentuated accent still drives me nuts once in awhile but fwiw I feel like he's using that particular voice and style most effectively throughout WS imo. Perhaps the rich and soothing sounds of the strings and the pedal steel mingle most musically favorably with those vocals. WS seems feels like my most preferred whole album of his since Magic which I liked a lot. The repetition of lyrics to the bridge in Mirace are still maddening but it's really nearly about the only part in any one song I dislike. Wasn't The Stuntman a song title from the Darkness notebook? Anyway, I like some, to more than some, of HH, WB, and WOAD, in total, but for consistency and production values alone WS has all three of those individually beat imo. I probably don't like it as much as TOL and maybe not as much as Lucky Town or Magic either, but it's different, and better for it, yet right there among the lot of those for me fwiw.

6. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

7. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Moonlight Motel is certainly a classic in my books.

In the article the author states, "What the song suggests is that there [sic] a fragility to ideal romance that daily life eradicates".

Sadly, the author fails to mention the song's lyrical foreshadowing to illustrate the point:

Chain-link fence half-rusted away
    Got a sign says "Children be careful how you play"

For me, this is Springsteen at his lyrical best -- it is absolutely brilliant. Here, in two simple lines, Springsteen develops the cinematic stage. But at the same time, and of deeper importance, these two lines leave one melancholy about how time is a cruel teacher (half-rusted away), while being remindful of the early lesson not learned, "Children be careful how you play (i.e., with those you love)".

It's this sort of poetry that always brings me back.

8. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

RSteven likes this.
  9. OptimisticGoat

[​IMG]

Spinning my first play of the blue vinyl - sounds superb - quiet and majestic. Will be my album of the year I suspect.

Rockford & Roll, dee, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  10. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Excellent spot! I just took it literally.

11. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

No need to suspect, it's a sure thing.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

13. stem

stem Forum Resident

Are your records actually the wispy sort of colour shown in your image, or more of a solid blue (light or dark?) ?

dee and Craig like this.
  14. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

cool, loved this part

"He went on to say that pretty much everything Springsteen lays down these days could be considered the basic track to a master take, admitting, "We don’t really do demos. What am I gonna do? Use the bad microphones? As I said to Bruce, 'You don’t do demos either. You sing in key and in time while playing the guitar. We just make recordings that don’t get released.'"

dee, Efus and budwhite like this.
  15. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

dee likes this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Scott left the circle a couple years ago, but my understanding is that WS dates back at least 7 years, maybe longer.

17. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

He can easily make these work in concert with the E-Street Band. All we need is to listen to the likes of this below to know...they can handle anything.

New York City Serenade

The Panda and DavidD like this.
  18. OptimisticGoat

They are less wispy than depicted but there is still some variation from a solid cover. They look good but not as good as the set in the picture. The blue is slightly lighter than depicted.

dee and stem like this.
  19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Wow. To each his own. I can't get enough of it. The orchestration just slays me.

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Particulary when Chasin' Wild Horses transitions into Sundown. Incredible.

Adam9, Lewisboogie, Jvalvano and 9 others like this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

I play this on a daily basis and find myself drawn to a different moment in a new track each day. Today - I’m a Wayfarer (baby).
    I just can’t get this album out of my head. .. heading to Sleepy Joes atm and will be asleep soon.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  22. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Well strike that. Looks like it's down to TWO colored-vinyl versions. Evidently the exclusive dark blue from his site is sold out.

23. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I called last week to find out why my Barnes & Noble order hadn’t shipped yet, was told it was sold out at the warehouse and they were waiting for a store to send a copy in to be shipped to me. Website found a local copy, ordered for pickup but it was canceled as out-of-stock within an hour. Called about another copy just out of town, store clerk verified he had it, recommended I come get it, saying my web order is likely to be canceled since it had not shipped yet. Went and got it, 20% off online coupon code scanned in store (bonus). Next day the web order showed up in the mail, hole in shrink from price tag being torn off the back. I returned that the closest store but is now out of stock. So unless they found the copy supposedly in stock at the first store I ordered from (Easton), it’s sold out in Columbus OH.

Hawkman and OptimisticGoat like this.
  24. OptimisticGoat

I guess the best way to describe my set is white base with a mottled blue overlay. The overall impact is a light blue similar to the colour that appears under the SHF individual avatars but with swirls of navy blue and white. It looks very much like the jpc.de version - in fact I think it is the same pressing with an entirely different label. Sound is good!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    dee, stem and DavidD like this.
  25. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

OptimisticGoat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.