Recommendations for small passive desktop speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wildgift, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about... Thread Starter

I’m now using Miccas. I’d like something with a better high end and a bit more presence. Thanks. Space is an issue because I have a really small desk.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Tannoy Arena satellite speakers. You can find the satellites in pairs with or without their matching desk stands. They are pictured here without in the "bronze" finish. They are available in black, white, and grey also. Not sure if they are still available new or not, probably not. But they use a 4" concentric (2-way) driver system, so you can see how compact they are.
    [​IMG]
    -Bill

avanti1960 likes this.
  3. Wildgift

Look great. Seem unavailable.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You'll have to look occasionally for them in used marketplaces. They are really nice quality, die cast aluminum enclosures with an automotive finish.
    -Bill

5. Wildgift

No sign of them anywhere. Too bad. Love them.

6. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

NHT SuperZeroes, maybe. They are tiny, great, and affordable. Excellent presence, clarity, and imaging. I have the original version from the 1990s; haven't heard the newer iterations, but I believe they're still highly regarded.

They are intended to be used with a subwoofer, such as the NHT SS10. (I use mine with a small Monitor Audio Radius sub I found at Goodwill. It's a good combo, and the sub doesn't take up much room at all). Without a sub, they can still sound very good with close nearfield listening... but the farther the speakers are from your ears, the more you'll miss the bass.

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I like NHT. The most impressive for the size thing I've probably heard are the little 4" ELAC, and some KEFs way way way back in the day. Better to get to a 5" if you can though. KEF LS50 is also loved by a lot of folks, if you can cough up $1300. If you don't like those, I'll ship you my beloved 5" Monoprices for the $1300. It would be a sacrifice, yes, but I would make it for you :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.