Regular TV Series "On Hold"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

We seem to be in a state of rerun as far as a lot of regular tv series are concerned. My take on it is they are afraid of pre-emption due to the world situation at present.

Looking at just the TV aspect, how do you think it will effect the regular series?

Any (non political) thoughts?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

No politics?!?:confused: When did that happen?!?;) :D

I think it's about the 'sweeps' periods: November, February and May. I notice that although we're getting new eps of ANGEL, the BUFFY's are reruns for a few more weeks, then the rest of the new eps will air into May, when the next sweeps period kicks in. Same thing happens in December; since viewing trails off around the holiday season, almost everytyhing is repeats. Which isn't necessarily bad: during down times like this I get to catch up on WEST WING, LAW & ORDER, and a few other shows I tend to miss the first time around.

ED:cool:

3. Khorn

I really miss West Wing and Law & Order and the over the top super traumatic Dennis Franz on NYPD Blue. Fortunately the CSIs seem to be airing new stuff. Hope Enterprise returns soon, sure would like to see that one in HD though.

4. Ed Bishop

My sister's a bigger Star Trek fan than I am. This year they're issuing all seven seasons of DS9 on DVD; the first one turned out pretty good, and cleverly packaged. If Paramount holds true to form, next year she'll get what she really wants(VOYAGER)and already watches ENTERPRISE religiously though, like you, she'd prefer HD, but for now is willing to settle for less. How long it'll last is another question; what I've seen of it hasn't impressed me, but then, neither did VOYAGER, and they got more mileage out of that one than I expected.

5. Khorn

Not a hell of a lot out there in the SF genre. Should be a lot more but, I guess it doesn't get the numbers. They can do a lot more now with CCG so the sets can be more realistic than earlier days when they looked like they were all cardboard and the actors costumes resembled pyjamas!

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hey, the old days of Star Trek were quaint. The 80's gave us Worf in full makeup, headgear and costume. In the 60's, all you needed to be a Klingon was a goatee! :D

7. Ed Bishop

And they couldn't make up their minds about how exactly to pronounce the word 'klingon.' Quality control at that show was spotty at best. Still, the cheesy sets and sometimes laughable dialogue and costumes were part of its charm. It can be argued that, as of TNG, Star Trek became a little too serious and self-aware. Where the classic series is riddled with memorable lines, the rest of them have very little beyond the visuals(and continuity errors:D )that you remember.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Don't forget the dark suntan! ;)

What was the show where Cap. Kirk was walking with some crew from the shuttlecraft, from screen right to screen left and you can see the background 'ended' to the right?

I've only seen it once.... drives me nuts!

9. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Maybe if we had Galaxy Quest the series - that would act as some type of substitute for the old days of Star Trek :D

All the best - Andrew

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, February is sweeps month and no new ER! I think there is more going on. Yeah, I watch it religiously. So What!:)

11. Ed Bishop

ER's a decent show. But my staying up on Thursday is kind of erratic--half the time, I wind up sacking out early, since Friday a.m. is shopping time at the grocery store and Wallyworld. It's not the show it used to be, but they keep the pace up and at least hold your attention. CSI is better, but then, they're new; ER used to be as good, but time takes its toll.

Remember, also, that many hour-long dramas only have twenty eps per season now. That leaves 32 weeks of the year where you have either repeats or something else on.

12. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

And where the Hell has "Andy Richter Controls The Universe" disappeared to? This show is generally pretty hilarious. Fox, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH IT? I demand answers!!!!!! I'm waiting Mr. Murdoch

Jeff:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.