Songs That Seemingly Have No Precedent

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stanleynohj, May 13, 2022.

1. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Fortune’s always hiding ⚒

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Swansong and Rojo like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Feedback

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Great pick

ARK and jmpatrick like this.
  5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Is there a consensus on the first recognizably "garage punk" single? Or even "the first one to go top 40 such that it could have influenced others nationwide"?

6. Brian Doherty

I am finding this pro-BTR arg really weird. I mean, the obvious ENTIRE POINT of the recording is to remind you of its precedents! It is possibly one of the MOST precedented major rock songs.

This doesn't mean it isn't a fine record with SOME distinctions from the Spector it is very deliberately trying to evoke.

danasgoodstuff and bRETT like this.
  7. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think "Message in a Bottle" and "Walking on the Moon" for instance, sounded so different from the music I was hearing at the time. There was so much "silence" around the notes played by the guitar, bass and drums that they seemed to float in space.

8. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The opening riff sounds is probably more conventional but everything that comes afterwards is unique.

9. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"A Quick One..." by the Who

Ewan7, danasgoodstuff, ARK and 7 others like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

11. Brian Doherty

You know that was my first thought, but then thought: "naaah too obvious."

souldeep69 and bRETT like this.
  12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The point of the OP, I think, is to find songs that "seem to come out of nowhere", even if they don't.

"I Feel Love" is a great example. It sounds pretty different from what came before, even if it drew inspiration from lots of sources.

Same for "I Am the Walrus" and many other great examples that have been offered here.

The_Windmill likes this.
  13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Moving in Stereo - The Cars

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"The Big Hurt" by Miss Toni Fisher (1959):

16. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think both "Satisfaction" by the Stones and "My Generation" by The Who were pretty unique at the time, both in their sound as well as subject matter.

The tone of Richards' fuzz guitar in "Satisfaction" is actually quite unique (I don't think I ever heard it again, even in other Rolling Stones' songs) and stand outs very much against the backdrop of the acoutics guitars and tambourine/drum accompaniment. The subject matter of the lyrics is also a bit ahead of its time, I think.

"My Generation" doesn't even sound like a real song, the first time you hear it. Kind of proto punk, I guess.

17. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"My Generation"?

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  18. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

ITCOTCK?
    [​IMG]

19. Brian Doherty

while obviously My Gen doesn't "sound just like" Louie Louie, it's charting in May 64 in that snarly distorted garage punk vein makes it a precedent, as of course would You Really Got Me. Again, not that My Gen didn't take garage punk to a higher level of aggro insanity, and it does I think meet the "who told the Who a pop single COULD SOUND LIKE THAT??" consideration I wonder about a lot of 64-68 pop singles. Even, in a mellower vein, Byrds Tambourine Man or Turn Turn

Rojo likes this.
  20. Brian Doherty

I heard someone say ITCOTCK! and I agree, it sounded unprecedented.

Comet01 likes this.
  21. Brian Doherty

I first heard this on oldies radio in the last decade and it sounded kind of unprecedented to me even then (and even knowing the song via Scott Walker version).

Steve Carras likes this.
  22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

This one definitely was some sort of precedent. Whether Queen was influenced by it, I can't say -- but it came out eight months before A Night at the Opera.

Post-Punk Monk likes this.
  23. I was going to say "Purple Haze". First time I heard that on the radio it sounded like something from another planet.

Also "Tomorrow Never Knows". Nothing sounded like that before.

Ewan7, SG47 and elaterium like this.
  24. Brian Doherty

the garage punk thing seems important because while we know of course blah de blah ed sullivan beatles blew the minds of a million young bands in garages----most of the "garage rock" stuff that either did hit the charts or was only discovered by people my age ina gajillion reissue label comps, does NOT sound like people trying to emulate the Beatles per se. Sound way more like they are trying to emulate the Kingsmen or the first two Kinks singles.

Ewan7 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  25. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

The original (1966) version of Heroes and Villains by The Beach Boys applied that episodic approach to a short form pop song. Wilson later gave the song a slightly more conventional form when he added choruses nicked from Do You Like Worms, but it was still pretty dizzying and freewheeling for a pop single. I tend to think Pete Townsend was influenced by H&V when he wrote A Quick One. I know he was a Smiley Smile fan.

Ewan7 and danasgoodstuff like this.