Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I doubt that TCL is an 8 series. The rubber really hits the road with that model. Unfortunately, it just makes me realize how much Comcast compresses its channels. But when I watch 4K or a quality BR like the Sade 2011 concert then you see why this TV is so highly regarded.

Shawn and audiomixer like this.
  2. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I will have to check. I am at work right now. Not real familiar with either the Television or the Blu-ray Player since they are both brand new. May have to fiddle with the settings tonight.

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I don't know about the TV but the Sony BD player has DRC and other stuff that can be set. If you're not using a multichannel setup, you also could try setting the BD to downmix stereo.

Good luck!

4. Steve Baker

Thanks! Will chime back in when I have it figured out.

PH416156 likes this.
  5. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Our new Sony TV has MUCH better sound from the built-in speakers than our Sony from only 5 years ago. They figured some stuff out.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Don't they use the whole screen as a transducer, ie vibrating to produce at least some of the sound? I think I read something about that. And if you get a surround system, you can use that as the center channel. Sounds like a far cry from the tiny, tinny speakers they used to use in flat screens- though personally I'd never have a big screen that didn't use at least a 5.1 system.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 65” LG C1 and Sony A8oJ are the same price right now at Costco. I know this thread is about the Sony, but which do folks think is the better set for, say, mostly movie (both cable and streaming) and sports TV watching?

Or is the difference so small it’s a coin flip?

8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Are you going to have it calibrated? Here’s what I read: The Sony is really good out of the box and amazing calibrated. The LG is not as good out of the box. But if you are going to have it calibrated, it is just as good as the Sony. The LG is preferred by gamers, but the Sony does well for gaming too, as long as you only use one console. The Sony is slightly preferred for picture quality, color rendition, and built-in upscaling. The LG does all those things well too, it seems to be down to preference really. This is the first time the comparable Sony model has been close in price to the LG. It was always too expensive for me the past several years, and I kept putting off the purchase. I intended to eventually get the LG. But I researched the Sony once it came down in price, and that is what I ultimately chose. Extremely happy with my choice. And I’m confident I would have been happy with the LG too (calibrated).

audiomixer and marcb like this.
  9. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I believe it does use the screen as a transducer, because the speakers in the new set actually have bass. :laugh:

10. Steve Baker

Well I kinda got it figured out. I changed the sound field to 5.1 Dolby Atmos from 2 channel and it was much better. The DRC was set to Auto, so I put that to on. DVD playback wasn't as affected as the 4K disc, but once I changed from 2 channel the dialog was much clearer. Still going to make adjustments, but overall happy about this set up.

Yes this Sony is the bomb for movies , sports, music video and games. It supports Dolby Vision, and looks spectacular out of the box. The speakers are indeed behind the display screen, so it is easier to hear, and can be set as the center channel if using a HT set up. I also compared this to the LG, but it's a Sony and the same price, made the purchase a no brainer. I have had LG's in the past and while good they were never as good as a Sony IMO.

One thing I did find out yesterday pairing my Bluetooth headphones. These sets only allow for one set of Bluetooth headphones. I need to figure a solution to have 2 headphones connected. probably have to get a transmitter to accomplish that. Wife wants to have her own headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser cans with a transmitter, but it only has a 2 channel audio plug. The Sony does not support that. Maybe there is a connecter for 2 channel RCA to HDMI or toslink. Have to look into that today.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Steve Baker

12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I really like my LG OLED65E6P and I don't think I'd give it up even for this nice looking Sony model. I really love the passive 3D on this older OLED TV and since no one is really making 3D capable TVs any more, I'll keep it. :)

Have they improved the burn-in resistance with these newer OLEDs?

13. Steve Baker

AFAIK no. That is one thing to watch for. But I don't game so I am not concerned.

violarules likes this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

LG=Better For Gaming; at the moment
    SONY=Better For Movies & TV Viewing

marcb and Boomy like this.
  15. Steve Baker

Question: Can any of the USB ports on this set be used to connect a DAC converter for RCA out?

16. audiomixer

3 weeks into this TV & it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. My Oppo 103 upscales Blu-rays to 4K resolution. I see no reason to repurchase my Blu-ray collection at all! The Costco sale ends tonight!

Boomy likes this.
  17. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Yes, it's darn good, better than my old plasma. If you have any Better Call Saul blurays, take a look. Beautiful. Zero digital noise, unlike most of my bds.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. audiomixer

The holidays are upon us. Is anyone asking Santa for this Sony OLED ? :D

Boomy likes this.
  19. puddin

puddin Forum Resident

Asking my wife if I can ask Santa lol

audiomixer likes this.
  20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I wish.

I see a lot of good prices on 4K movies right now, swipe some up for YOUR viewing pleasure :edthumbs:

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Upscaling is nice, and you couldn't repurchase your blu-ray collection on 4K even if you wanted to--there aren't too many catalog titles available aside from the typical blockbusters. But you won't see a reason why 4K source material is better until you let yourself see it. And then you'll wish you could replace your 1080 content with 4K UHD. No sense in shrinking away from the best picture just to feel like your past purchases are the best possible quality.

22. audiomixer

Have you witnessed this OLED yet?

23. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Only at the store. Haven’t had any time with it. How’s it still going for you? Seems as thought you are happy with it :pineapple::edthumbs:

24. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Waiting to learn more about this: