Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

It seems to be pretty common for them to move store location within a mall - I've seen a few announcements to that effect for other stores. I assume that they must get more favourable rent rates at other parts of the mall. The Kitchener store was in a pretty decent spot, so it'll be interesting to see where they end up.

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

The Rideau Centre store in Ottawa moved from the old HMV store to a much smaller store in the mall a few months after Sunrise took it over, and when they opened the branch in Bayshore Mall it was in a different, and smaller, location from the old HMV store.

3. VatiBobo

I remember seeing the Rideau Centre store when I visited Ottawa last summer. It looked nice from the outside but I didn't go in as I'd already spent my record budget at The Record Centre.

Buddybud likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It seems they're struggling to get new releases on release day, or even within 1-2 weeks after. I’ve bought 7 new releases online in 2019 that I would have bought in store if they could get them in stock.

Daryl M likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The closing of RPM with no notice has really hurt Canadian distribution. If they had deals with some majors to buy direct then for those they are fine but any labels they bought through RPM they now have to deal with Isotope or FAB...neither of which were ready to take the kind of orders coming in since RPM went down.

eelkiller likes this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Old news....I shared that info two months ago a few posts above yours.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

$5 free after you spend $300 isn't what makes it special. It's the double stamp days and other $100 giveaways.

So far the "sales" at Sunrise have sucked beyond the 2017 boxing day and the 2018 pre-christmas coupon card that go you 10% off.

BTW, I noticed my Vancouver area store now have some used DVDs.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Well that explains things.

I’ve seen used CDs although it seems the selection has hardly changed in months.

9. jimod99

Sunrise do have a direct distribution deal with Universal, that’s why there’s generally a lot of their product in stores.

Sean likes this.
  10. The Sunrise in Kelowna shut down for renovations for about a month. It recently reopened with a new layout and a lot more empty space than before. Unfortunately almost everything still seems to be Amazon price + 20%. Not sure how they can keep that business model going but I wish them luck because I still like spending time in these stores. Unfortunately the one staff member who knew his stuff and who I quite enjoyed talking to doesn't seem to have survived the transition.

11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I was just in Conestoga Mall in Waterloo - a new Sunrise Records is prepped and ready to open.

Sean likes this.
  12. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Same with Kitchener Fairview. They relocated in the mall. I think they may be open already.

13. VatiBobo

Both the Sunrise website and the Sunrise Kitchener Facebook page still state that it is temporarily closed and due to open in May. Not sure if it's a delay in reopening or just a delay in updating the websites. Based on the mall map, it's moved into the area of the mall behind Jack Astor's.

Sean likes this.
  14. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I was a the mall 3 weeks ago and they were stocking shelves. Looked close to opening. I will find out soon because I need to pick up a gift this week.

VatiBobo likes this.
  15. jimod99

Sunrise in the Rideau Centre in Ottawa has abruptly closed with a typed note in the window to say that some staff will move to other stores.

Sean likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I am not surprised. I was in that store a few months ago and it didn't seem well kept like other Sunrise stores I've been in. I dunno if that was an indication that the end was nigh or not.

17. VatiBobo

Have you been to the new store since it opened? I start a new job next week practically right next to Conestoga Mall, so I’m sure I’ll be checking it out soon.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Criterions might be gone from stores now. Heavy push on Arrow and Kino.

As for used vinyl, I was surprised when the manager recently told me they sold through 200 used records in a single weekend.

If you dig a bit at the stores you can find some nice prices. Got the Arrow WaterworlD triple Blu-ray for $40.

19. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I did a quick browse.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I haven’t had much luck lately for new releases :cheers:

21. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

I went to the largest mall in Ottawa the other day (Rideau Centre) and, poof, no more Sunrise. Very surprising as I had always seen a good crowd in there being right downtown....their prices are a little hefty though. Their other Ottawa locations are still there....

22. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Still can't believe that neither store in London, ON has a King Crimson CD section.

23. jimod99

It was reported above that the Rideau Centre store closed suddenly a few weeks ago.

24. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Didn't see it. If I had seen it, I would not have posted....................................

25. Credit where it is due . . . The Kelowna store seems to be pricing things a bit more reasonably these days. I bought the 5 CD Ken Burns Country Music soundtrack there and it was the exact same price as Amazon.ca, to the penny. The Abbey Road super deluxe box is only ten dollars more than Amazon.
    On the other hand, they have never stocked a single copy of Springsteen's latest. That I don't get.