Technics 1200 w/ Ortofon 2M Black v. VPI Aries Scout (jmw9) w/ Dynavector 10x5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gss, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gss

gss Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a throw your random opinions around thread. Strengths and weaknesses, of each. I know there are lovers - and, ummmmm, not lovers - of the Technics 1200, but I'm enjoying mine with the Ortofon 2M Black: like, a lot.

Would the VPI Aries be a "wow" upgrade, or lateral move?

What about the 2M Black on the VPI?

Dynavector vs. Ortofon?

Or, save my pennies for a Prime?

Always appreciate the input here: thanks.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the grass isnt always greener. get a 1200GR and the best cartridge / phono preamp you can afford.

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

If at all possible, listen to all of your choices and YOU decide. I know it is not so easy to audition components these days.

4. Your stock 1200 tonearm will likely hold you back as far as realizing the full potential of the 2M Black. You won't hit the ceiling on the VPI.

AnalogJ and gss like this.
  5. gss

Great advice from all, thanks.

Yes, @DangerousKitchen: I knew that the Black was overkill for my stock 1200, but here I am with an opportunity to put it on something a little more refined. I'm sure that Dynavector would we great on the 1200. Or, am I underestimating my 1200?

Also, @avanti1960 I did just realize that the VPI Prime and the 1200GR are in the same $$$$ ballpark. I love the 1200 aestetic, and - frankly - prefer a direct drive over a belt drive. Maybe that's my dream 'table after all. Great reviews.

So, I guess, the question really is: hang on to the stock, original 1200 with Ortofon Black, or save up for the big guns. Or, let the VPI fill the gap in the meantime. However, even though it's a great deal, I could use that money toward a quarter of a major 'table purchase.

6. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Not quite the same as you, but I am waiting for the arrival of my VPI prime to see how it stacks up against my 1200. I have a Dynavector 20x2L and it sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Folks I talked to claim this will be a huge improvement, so time will tell.

There sure are passionate feelings—good and bad—about the 1200. I guess this is one of the fun aspects of this hobby: making new discoveries and trying to share it with others.

displayname, baconbadge and gss like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I believe it's the 1200G that is in the same price range as the Prime. The GR is less than half the price (but very likely it's much more than half the table).

displayname likes this.
  8. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Imo the 1200 is good until you spend some time with other great audiophile tables, technics gets a lot right but is usually more neutral and less musical. Still I love my 1200mk2, hopefully I can hang onto it for a while.

recstar24, gss and pathguy like this.
  9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I had a technics 1200 w a 2m black at the same time I had a thorens 160 super w a 2m black and rega 300. I honestly thought they sounded equally good. And one required maintenance while the other was unflappable (you know which is which!)

Never had a vpi at home...

I'd like to hear from someone who has a/b'd the new 1200 with the old one. Despite all the discussions I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere. Just my two cents!

10. punkmusick

If you just say "Technics 1200" you usually refer to three very different turntables, the various MKII, the GR and the G/GAE.

It's impossible to answer.

displayname likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

snorker likes this.
  12. gss

Very cool: congrats! What cart will you be using with the Prime?

Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions. When do you expect the Prime? BTW: I realize that the Prime is in a whole different league from the Aries Scout.

displayname and pathguy like this.
  13. gss

But is the Scout Aries enough of an “audiophile” upgrade to warrant the extra $$?

14. gss

MK II From 2010.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. gss

1200 G: 4K

VPI Prime: 4K

Right?

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  16. punkmusick

Yes.

GR is $1,700 I think.

displayname likes this.
  17. gss

I don’t want to wade into the 1200GR vs. 1200MKII debate right now! :wiggle:

They’ll be plenty of talk about that in the next year, or two.

displayname likes this.
  18. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm actually curious about this myself. But I suppose the GR has to better. But who knows. they're selling it at Guitar Center for $1700.

displayname likes this.
  19. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Thanks! Should be here in a couple of weeks. I probably should have stuck with the Dynavector in order to properly compare the two tables, but the Prime is coming with the Soundsmith MIMC star. I recently borrowed a friend's Rega RP10 with a Grado Statement cartridge and was surprised how much of a difference I did not hear; which is why I am quite interested to hear the VPI. I suppose if it isn't earth-shattering I could just send it back.

20. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

As the 1200 is a solid TT, have you considered putting a new arm on it?

Simon Brown from Design Build Listen in NZ makes a 10.3" arm that is specially designed to fit on Technics (and Linn) tables and has got some great reviews.

[​IMG]
    The Wand 10.3 Inch Tonearm

21. gss

Interesting, but not cheap. Might try the KAB route if I wanted to upgrade the arm.

22. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

If you read the reviews, you might change your mind on that one. The one thing they all agree on is that the value for the money is great.

Michael Fremer's comment was "The Wand tone arm from New Zealand sounds stupidly great for around $1200! No current American importer. Someone get busy!" (that price refers to the Plus model, which adds some conveniences like a tonearm lift).

I'm biased, being a Kiwi, so take this with a grain of salt!

gss likes this.
  23. gss

I guess when you put it that way...

I’d be interested how that arm would stack up against the current Technics 1200GR.

24. gss

Really? I haven’t seen it for sale yet?

Where can the 1200GR be found for sale online?

25. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.