The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I really love those Ultramatrixes. Even if there are cleaner/clearer PCM or other DSBD sources -- I still typically prefer the Ultramatrix.

ianuaditis, budwhite and trd like this.
  2. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Archtop is gonna get jealous...

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

You've got better brain stability than I. I only made it through 12 or 13 before succumbing to vertigo. Of course, the lime in the coconut was the 9/19/70 Dark Star, after a short period of abstinence, mind you.

4. latheofheaven

Tell me about it... Just as it starts to get hot and heavy with a date, I hafta pull the prosthesis out... Sux... (well, sort of...)

5. latheofheaven

HOLY SMOK'N ARCHTOP NUTZ!!!

Okay, before I even GET to the good disc (Disc 4) of Closing Winterland, I just had to come here and say that I have never ever, Ever, EVER heard anything quite like the 19 1/2 minute Not Fade Away! WOW!!! I mean, I generally like the different versions of the song that I've heard, but man... I mean, Jerry not only travels beyond the Cosmosphere, but somehow does it transdimensionally...! HOLY $...t! In all this crap I have not heard anything quite like that. Damn impressive!

NOW... that I've successfully changed my pants...

on to the lovely Disc 4...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

You need to mix in two or three 68 versions to shake things up. And then in circumstances like 4/24/72 you get a whole other song that's hardwired in there, so it's not going to be 100% Dark Star. But if it's Dark Star>anything that doesn't lead back to Dark Star, then it gets chopped. I'm coming off a 3 month break so I think now is the time.

You and @warewolf95 oughta talk. :)

7. latheofheaven

Hey, I only do this when I REALLY get worked up!

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

"No one knows about that day or hour......"

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

You know that part where the lead guitar plays a dark and sharp acidic solo? That was actually this guy, who was guesting on stage during that part of the show:

John Cipollina
    [​IMG]

10. Archtop

Now try the Ally Pally version from DP 7 (9/10/74). It's much better. It's the best.

And I would opine that the best disc of The Closing of Winterland is Disc 1, not Disc 4. Paying attention to set lists is misguided, grasshopper. The recording of Closing of Winterland is indeed better than that on DP 7, but don't be mislead. There's true power in that 9/10/74 NFA.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Zounds! Are you softening on Western, sky-god book religions?!

12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

are you the new @warewolf95

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

For lo, the emails do not arrive. And when they do arrive, they soweth confusion amongst the Heads...

Crispy Rob, uzn007, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  14. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Yes, the first part of the show is where it’s at. Check out the dvd too, lathe.

Setlists are meaningless in Deadland.

US Blues, latheofheaven and Archtop like this.
  15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Road Trips Vol.4 No.1 Big Rock Pow Wow

“Orange sunshine” acid was everywhere.”

• Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 1—Big Rock Pow-Wow ’69 Features Two Complete Shows from the Seminole Indian Reservation in Florida Held on May 23 and 24, 1969

• Three Months After Live Dead and a Month After the Midwest Shows Immortalized on Dick’s Picks Vol. 26

• With Owsley (Bear) Stanley and Timothy Leary in Attendance, Spirits Were High

• Pristinely Recorded by Bear Himself

• The Band Is on Fire, Particularly Jerry Garcia and Pigpen (on Two Half-Hour Renditions of “Turn On Your Lovelight”)

• Features the Classic Period “Dark Star”/“St. Stephen”/“The Eleven”/“Turn on Your Lovelight” Sequence

• A Rare Rendition of “He Was a Friend of Mine”

• Also Includes “St. Stephen” Coming Out of “Drums” for the Only Time During Its 1968-1971 Incarnation
      • As Live Dead so eloquently attests, the Grateful Dead just might have been the best live band in the world during the year of 1969, so any release of material from that period is a (Dead) head turner. This release captures two complete
        concerts held at the Seminole Indian reservation in Florida on May 23 and
        24, 1969, three months after Live Dead and a month after the Midwest shows immortalized on Dick’s Picks Vol. 26. With both Bear (who recorded this show in his usual meticulous fashion) and Timothy Leary in attendance, it’s safe to say that there was something in the air at both shows; Jerry Garcia’s riffage is about as raw as it ever got, and the trademark period sequence of “Dark Star”/”St. Stephen”/”The Eleven”/”Turn on Your Lovelight” is particularly charged, with a nearly half-hour “Lovelight” shining very brightly indeed. Show two starts with another half-hour but very different “Lovelight,” as Pigpen slowly turns up the heat, followed by the rare “He Was a Friend of Mine,” “Alligator,” and another “St. Stephen” (flying out of “Drums” for the only time during its 1968-1971 incarnation) among other treats. Great graphics, too, with notes by Blair Jackson and a reminiscence by Tom Constanten.

CD 1

MAY 23, 1969

1. Hard to Handle
        2. Dark Star
        3. St.Stephen
        4. The Eleven
        5. Turn on Your Lovelight

CD 2

MAY 24, 1969

1. Introduction
        2. Turn on Your Lovelight
        3. Doin’ That Rag
        4. He Was a Friend of Mine
        5. China Cat Sunflower
        6. The Eleven
        7. Death Don’t Have No Mercy

CD 3

1. Morning Dew
        2. Me and My Uncle
        3. Yellow Dog Story
        4. Alligator
        5. Drums
        6. St.Stephen
        7. Feedback
        8. We Bid You Goodnight

[​IMG]

16. Archtop

Yep, and see if you can pinpoint when Jerry starts seeing and tasting colors. It might be earlier than I thought:

17. latheofheaven

OOOOOOOOOOOH, no wonder... I KNEW I hadn't ever heard Jerry play that way. Thanks Bro... Still, an amazing performance.

ARK likes this.
  18. latheofheaven

And, actually, now that I think about it, the guitar DID sound like an SG. That was my very first guitar. Looked and sounded nice, but a REAL bugger to play...

notesofachord likes this.
  19. latheofheaven

I'll check it out, thanks! I DID really like Fire on the Mountain on Disc 1, along with a few other songs. I haven't listened to Disc 4 yet, but yeah, just going by the fact that I generally like those songs quite a bit better.

Ah, in checking I see that DP 7 is not just the concert of that night. The set lists vary between what Archive.org has for that 'night' and what is on the release. The specific night has DS as 31 minutes, but on DP7 it has a version listed as 24 minutes. The NFA though is listed as about 16+ minutes on both, so it is likely the same version.

I have up through DP12 as of now, so I will make a point to listen to the NFA on DP7, thanks!

Archtop and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Unusual Occurrences in the Desert

“And I'll call down thunder and speak the same and my work fills the Sky with flame
    And might and glory gonna be my name and men gonna light my way”

latheofheaven, wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  21. latheofheaven

Thanks kindly Bro, but I must strongly disagree. If ya don't like the songs, then the setlist is indeed pertinent. As I've stated, I do not waste my time on songs that I don't like. Disc 1 of that show is very good, but contains several songs that I do not care for, so that does matter to me. But again, although I haven't listened to it yet, I generally DO very much like the specific songs on Disc 4 a lot more.

I can tell by many of your comments that I've read so far, you are one of the 'completest' Deads here who like to take in entire concerts. Unless I like most of the songs in a concert, I do not. So, although I know you are giving me advice based upon a LOT more experience than I have, my taste in and approach to the Dead is completely different from yours.

But, thank you though! :tiphat:

22. latheofheaven

Now THIS sounds like a lot more up my alley! :D

I was tryin' to figure out which release was the Big Rock Pow. Now I know... RT 4-1 Thanks mate!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. latheofheaven

Yes, absolutely! I was so overwhelmed by NFA that I forgot about FotM! Yes, indeed, that is probably quite honestly THE best version of that song that I've heard so far. Jerry's playing is just phenomenal! I like that smile he has on his face while he's playing and he's not ever looking at the fretboard. Amazing! I really love that effect that he uses on the guitar so much, especially in a lot of the post Terrapin concerts. Yeah, his leads in this FitM are quite amazing. Sometimes there are so many dang good songs that you get kind of lost!

Archtop and notesofachord like this.
  24. Archtop

Comparing the track times from Internet Archive and an official release is a hopeless undertaking. You need to listen to both to decide if one corresponds with another. And you are confusing 12/31/78 with 9/10/74. You have bzfgt syndrome. :nyah:

25. latheofheaven

I'm sorry, didn't you refer to this, 'Now try the Ally Pally version from DP 7 (9/10/74)."? You wanted me to compare the NFA on DP 7 with the one I was raving about in the 12/31/1978 version from the Closing of Winterland, right? I do have Dick's Picks 7, so I will check out the NFA on that one. I was just noticing that Archive.org for that specific night showed what appears to be a different version of DS with a very different duration, that's all. If I am misunderstanding something, please do let me know.

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.