The longest major label music LP ever (Barry Manilow 20 Greatest Hits; pics inside)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That's a shame because that is an awesome record. But from what I remember, the LP only came in at around an hour (still too long for a great sounding LP). The CD had extra tracks.

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I will check but I have a Decca classical LP of Beethoven's symphony Nr 9 on one LP and one side is 45'? I will need to check this though :)

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Those clowns at "Plain" records just sold me a Mr. Bungle s/t LP with 73:21 minutes of music crammed on to one LP (and it's a worthless piece of garbage).

r.c. head likes this.
  4. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Yes, the vinyl version had the same line-up as the cassette, without the original version of "Plug Tunin'". The 12" singles are worth picking up though.

I just remember when I bought the vinyl and put it on, it seemed like it was an album on Ronco or Adam VIII.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I used to own about a 90 minute 33 1/3 LP containing an old AM broadcast of a Wagner opera.
    Poor recording to start with, cut onto disc low in level, with non-banded sides.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

You should ask the Gorts to change the title of this thread.
    My suggestion is "What Vinyl has the longest running time?".

7. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

Okay, it's been about 30 years, but I remember buying the soundtrack album for the movie "The Stud" (starring Joan Collins), which had 10, or possibly 12, songs on each side. It was on Ronco Records, and a few tracks were edited. But my memory is that the album may well have rivaled the Manilow, length-wise.

8. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Garbage because of the music, or the sound quality? The first Mr. Bungle is one of the best albums of the 90's, but I've stayed away from the vinyl because of the length and knowing it's on one record.

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Not quite at the lengths above, but, unfortunately, "THE JOHN LENNON COLLECTION" (1982 compilation) is about 30 mins long on each side. :realmad:

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Threads merged :)

11. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

As a kid, I had an Electrophonic console stereo complete with 8-track recorder. Anyway,I can't remember the title, but a record that was so long that the automatic tonearm would return before album ended. The good old days. The K-tels were all edited to death. I also think that when cd's first came out, companies sped up longer records to fit on a CD. I have Elton's GBYBR on one CD? Now it's a double CD

12. My Rhino cd is 48:21.

13. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

I have a Boney M greatest hits compilation from 1980. Ten tracks per side, totalling 20 tracks. Side one clocks in at approximately 34 minutes, side two a whopping 38 minutes. IIRC it didn't sound good.

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think Bruce Spizer's 'Beatles On Apple' book goes into detail about "Live At The BBC" - it helped that the tracks were mono to begin with, but the album was also mastered at a low volume to allow for 30+ minute sides.

(And now you know why the new vinyl edition is 3 LP's including filler material at the end.)

15. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"On second thought, we REALLY didn't need all eight minutes of both 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' and 'Rasputin'...."

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

17. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

The longest major-label LP I know about is Toshiba/Angel EAC 30283, which couples Karajan performances of Beethoven's "Eroica" and Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique" symphonies, for a total playing time around 95 minutes.

If we include non-major-label productions, the longest I know of is French Trimicron LS 2955, which contains all six of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (and an organ fantasia as a bonus track!) for a total playing time of 114:45.

These are 12" 33-1/3 rpm records. "Longest LP" excludes, to my mind, larger records or slower speeds.

18. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Yikes!!

19. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

http://www.groovecollector.com/mp/judy-garland-collector-s-remembrance-album/r/114730961/

Very rare album, such as known to be the most longer of the record : 90 minutes !! " Ninety nostalgic minutes from the original sound tracks of the Judy Garland TV show of 1963-1964.". This special production-for the first time on a Compusonic Recording is dedicated to a very specila women...etc...).
    "Full spectrum sound". The record plays in 331/3. Mono & stereo.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.