SH Spotlight The True Story of the "Into the Mystic" mixing goof on Van Morrison's "Moondance" album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

I found a W7 copy today that appeared to be in pretty good shape, so I took a chance. Of course, now I have ended up reading the past 15 years of this thread lol. My copy has RE 1C and does have the tambourine.

Vinyl Socks and kt66brooklyn like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found a Canadian gold label copy with the tambourine mix a few years ago.

GerryO and kt66brooklyn like this.
  3. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

at the risk of opening up an old thread, i struggled to track down a mix WITHOUT tambourine, it would seem UK pressings had the tambourine mix for quite a while at least. i have a 72/3 green label kinney press that still has the original WS PYE pressed a1 b1 matrices as well as the K for Kinney matrices in the run out, & even that still has the tambourine in it.

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

6. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

hard to find one on You tube, although take 17 seems to be on there. It's nice to find one just to compare the other to

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

No tambourine mix:

Simon A likes this.
  8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Tambourine mix:

The mix without tambourine on the old Warner Bros. CD runs a tad slow compared with the tambourine mix as heard in the Moondance Deluxe Edition (CD/BD). There are other small speed differences but "Into The Mystic" is the biggest one ("Everyone" next maybe).

Simon A likes this.
  9. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Are both versions on the Moondance box set? If so, how are they labelled?

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

No, just the tambourine mix for the master and then the session takes.

Take 17 (the master take) is mixed a little differently in the sessions section. It includes the overdubs - I wish it didn't since we have those on the master(s) and we've heard the track without overdubs leading up to the master take (a general complaint, argh!) - but has the tambourine mixed quite low:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Timjosephuk likes this.
  11. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Mal likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Bumped by request..

13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Years later, I know, but would you provide some details as to how (the process) the EQ Cutting Master is created? And what is the relationship, process-wise, between the "cutting master" and the "EQ cutting master"? Thanks for any info!

14. Steve Hoffman

It's the same thing, I just didn't feel like typing it out over and over. A master is mixed from multi-tracks. The cutting master is a dupe from the master tape with all EQ and compression moves built in. A safety is a flat dupe of the original master..

Usually second cuttings are from the EQ dupe (cutting master). Sometimes though, the real master is pulled (usually many years later) for a recut. Or they might even pull the safety. Whichever is easiest to pull or closest to the door.

You never know and it can drive one batty.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think the confusion may have been that you initially indicated a flat safety was marked as "cutting master".

thrivingonariff likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that was used as well to cut. They didn't seem to give a crap as to what source they used to cut and recut the record. Common for albums that became popular.

The safety is the tape they put the alternative mix on though.

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

1989 Dream a Little Dream CD film soundtrack uses the non-tambourine mix.

Uncle Meat and Timjosephuk like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Fascinating story Steve - thanks for sharing it.

I'm going to make a playlist of the original running order, which appears to be less "front loaded" than the released version of this outstanding album.

Tom Daniels likes this.
  19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

To my knowledge, all CD releases of "Into the Mystic" prior to the 2010s use the non-tambourine mix.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  20. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Was struck by that too. Moondance really had the heavy hitters loaded up on side one, and I might prefer the earlier running order where they are spread out across the two sides.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

Well, fifteen and a half plus years later and this thread is still informing. I didn’t know the back story on the two mixes. Picked up an original re-1 1-c W7 greenie today in really nice shape from a pop up dealer I know. Of course he didn’t know the back story either so I got it for a bargain price. Anyway, the tambourine mix , to me is more complex, interesting and percussive and much preferred. I hadn’t spun this in a long time. Such a great recording. Appreciate what you did Steve…. “all those years ago.”

MisterNines and JeffMo like this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I bought a 2020 Kevin Gray last night.
    Vinyl.
    Will it have the tambourine ?

23. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I love reading this stuff again!

rcsrich likes this.
  24. Myke

Haven't pulled out the DE in a long time, but since I bought the record ( again ) last night, it's obviously on my mind.
    I forgot the tambourine is on the Blu ray's stereo track, but not on the 5.1 track.

JeffreyB and ex_mixer like this.
  25. Myke

Indeed it does. :winkgrin:

Flaming Torch likes this.