The Vinyl Community on YouTube

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jon9091, Feb 18, 2019.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

There is an entire community of vinyl enthusiasts on YouTube who post videos of their collections, their recent acquisitions, and their systems. I think it’s great. Obviously some are better than others, but I find it interesting what other people are collecting, and their thoughts on music. I think I’ve seen a few forum members there, and I’ve really, really enjoyed their videos, but I won’t mention them here unless they want to step forward first. Is anyone else here watching...or participating? Are there certain channels you’d recommend?

2. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I'll take this moment to post a PSA: If you're going to search-out 'vinyl' or 'vinyl enthusiast' be sure to include such keywords as 'record' or 'LP'. :biglaugh:

3. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

For the last several years I've been watching documentaries on Youtube devoted to vinyl. I'm a subscriber to VWestlife, Vinyl eyezz and Vinyl rewind.

But I don't get into those "my latest finds" and "My collection" videos. There are a lot of documentaries about the rise of vinyl, the collapse of vinyl (older ones, obviously) and a lot of "how to" videos for the young people getting into it.

Frankly, you could spend an entire rainy weekend and barely scratch the surface of the offering.

4. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Sometimes I just search "vinyl record". It gets me to all the rabbit holes.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I watch some of the vinyl finds videos of folks with similar interests to mine. I've never posted any videos, myself.

jon9091 likes this.
  6. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yea, I've been following the Vinyl Community on you tube for a while now. For the most part I enjoy it. There are some VCers I find either annoying or just plain goofy. I won't mention them here in case they're members here. :hide:

7. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I like Frank on Channel 33 rpm and Vinyl Rewind.

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Oh come on, name names. ;)

Ed Hughes likes this.
  9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I subscribe to a few.
    I enjoy watching some of the collectors from the States as I get to see things that you don't find over here.

MikeInFla and jon9091 like this.
  10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I usually watch a video or two when I have a bit of time to kill (e.g. during breakfast). It's a good way to learn about bands you've never heard of.

Doctor Deadwax was probably my favorite. Too bad he doesn't seem to post videos anymore.

jon9091 likes this.
  11. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Rodger Coleman's channel inspired me to spend way too much money on as much of the Guided By Voices / Robert Pollard discography as I can find. We eventually became facebook friends..nice guy..

jon9091 likes this.
  12. I posted a few awhile back then forgot.

Maybe when I have time I’ll jump in again and do it right. Have fun be snarky .......

I find them as guilty pleasures .

lazydawg58, marty34, Cervelo and 3 others like this.
  13. jon9091

I’ve seen a few of his videos too. That comparison was very informative although I went for the VPI.

14. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

does anyone know this guy:

andre navarro II

He has quite a collection of mostly unknown great artists from the 70's...

15. jon9091

I liked yours a lot, Mazzy. I was hoping you’d speak up here, and hoping you’d do a few more. I liked the way you picked a topic (and the topics you picked) and then pulled some records to chat about. I’ve been exploring Ry Cooder’s stuff because of your video...so, well done.

Adrian madden and Gavinyl like this.
  16. Ya sort of gotta work at it. I was just watching a few others over the weekend and thought about doing one again. But I gotta be a bit snarky :tiphat:

Being self employed you'd think I would have more time.

Gotta cone up w another themed one. Record albums I own that smell mildewed ?

Adrian madden and jon9091 like this.
  17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’ll have to check this out and subscribe.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

Not a member but I do watch some of the videos. Mainly Dereck Higgins channel.
    His collection & knowledge of music is incredible.
    He's a musician as well.

19. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I love the YouTube vc! I really enjoy seeing what amazing stuff other people have managed to find and their stories about the music they love. Vinyl rewind is a fun one, noble records just has me salivating and wishing I lived stateside so I could go to one of his pop ups, dots n loops posts some killer psyche stuff and I’ve recently stumbled upon oddbox topper who just seems like a really cool bloke. I tend to catch up on the vc in the morning after the kids have gone to school but before work when I don’t quite have enough time to listen to my own stuff. I wish there were more U.K. based videos (any recommendations gratefully received!)

aussievinyl, troggy and jon9091 like this.
  20. jon9091

Yep...dots n loops is one I check out often. It’s amazing some of the finds these guys come across for very little money.

I will have to look for oddbox topper. Thanks!

wgb113 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Dots and Loops is one of my favorites too. I also check out Dereck Higgins mentioned above. It seems like he posts about five videos a week. I also enjoy Matt Sands and The Omaha Introvert, among others.

Haggis Wampovich and jon9091 like this.
  22. jon9091

Anyone else watch
    Psych In The Valleys

I like his channel.

Also Flipside CT

23. Ok you got me to create and post a new one. Box set Cash Grabs :tiphat:

Adrian madden, Ed Hughes and jon9091 like this.
  24. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Channel 33 RPM, Too Many Records are the first that spring to mind, for me.

Love seeing theneedledrop's vinyl updates even though he's a reviewer and not a vinyl-centered channel (despite the name).

Greenalishi and jon9091 like this.
  25. Here's one i just posted. Cash Grab Box Sets. I tend NOT to be too serious: