U2's Songs of Innocence....Five Year Later

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by americanscientist, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Just listened to those yesterday on Wide Awake In Ameruca EP.

That would make sense since those two are better than some of the filler on parent LP.

2. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

really? Any idea how later they were? They were great B sides.

3. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The songs were released in April 1985 and the album was released October 1984. The band went back into the studio in a break from touring early January 1985 to re-record parts of "A Sort Of Homecoming" for a potential A-side [in the end they used a combination of a London soundcheck, London gig, and some new studio recorded backing vocals] and some new stuff for what became The Unforgettable Fire EP.

ausgraeme and PDK like this.
  4. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

Nah, it's the other way around for me. Songs of Innocence was terrific (especially the deluxe edition) and Songs of Experience is (apart from a few tracks) over-produced utter pop-trash, compared to their full discography anyhow. Seeing how "Glastonbury" turned into "American Soul", I share your opinion about the song.

via_atx likes this.
  5. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

Not sure why you would put "Song for Someone" and "13" on the same album, they are virtually the same song.

6. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

I recently played this album again, and the bonus disc, and I forgot how awesome it sounded. I like the diversity of the songs, but without losing the typical U2 sound or bonomian lyrical/emotional messages.
    The only song I never fully got to like, was Iris. The meaning and story behind it are very emotional, but the song just doesn't work for me.
    I'm really satisfied with the bonus material. I prefer the alternative versions of Sleep Like a Baby and The Troubles, and love the acoustic performances. I always wondered why Invisible wasn't on the album, but I see what they did there.
    One thing I hate is that the deluxe edition on vinyl was a limited Record Store Day edition. Deluxe SOE vinyls are still available everywhere, but Deluxe SOI vinyl is a three-zeroes collector's edition. To me, that doesn't make sense.

Panama Jack likes this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really wanted the single-LP version of it. It’s not a good enough album to justify 4 sides of awkwardly configured side flipping but I would’ve picked it up as a single, but I guess it was a damn RSD thing so I never actually saw it anywhere to buy it.

8. Twilight

Twilight Forum Resident

SOI is interesting to me because with every other U2 record (with the possible exception of October, I really can't remember), it took me some time to appreciate what they were doing. Boy was more punk than I was used to at the time. Started to adjust to that, then War went another way. Started to adjust to that, then a big left turn with Unforgettable Fire. Joshua Tree had elements of country music, oh no! AB, too industrial! Etc. throughout their career.

But something about U2 always made me want to keep listening, to keep trying to appreciate what they were doing. And in most cases, I eventually did. I love Boy with all my heart now, for example, although when it was new I questioned my own wisdom in buying it. :) NLOTH wasn't even on my radar for the first few months, but now it's a regular on my shuffle. Etc.

But SOI ... I fell in love with it the moment I heard it. I have no idea what that means, maybe I'm more open to new sounds than I used to be? Maybe they're finally repeating themselves and I'm responding to the familiar? Maybe it's just that damn good? No idea, and don't particularly care one way or the other ... it was a welcome gift, especially since it came at a time when I was struggling to find new music that I liked. SOI remains a favorite, right up there with the others.

SOE, alas, I reverted to my old ways .... I'm still learning to like it. "13" is possibly in my top ten of favorite U2 songs (I suspect you have to be as old as me and the band to really appreciate it :) ) and I recently really "heard" Little Things, as opposed to just listening to it ... it's a stunner. Shame on me for not realizing it sooner! Red Flag Day and several of the others are growing on me. Yes, I'm that slow of a learner. I'll get there someday.

9. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

Loved your post. That sums up U2 for me as well. Every time I listen to an album, I notice and appreciate new things about the songs that I didn't. Especially records like TUF, Pop and Zooropa took a long while for me to fully "discover", since they were really out there in terms of experimenting.
    To everyone their taste of course, but I can't see what people like about "13". The lyrics are fine, but it's LITERALLY "Song for Someone" without the chorus.

Twilight likes this.
  10. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

The stuff that sticks with me is ALWAYS the stuff that took a while for me to get.

Horwi likes this.
  11. Twilight

Twilight Forum Resident

Actually, I think it's the chorus of Song for Someone with slightly different verses. :) No matter ... I'm not usually one for lyrics, but the lyrics of 13 twist my heart ... then give it hope. And Bono's delivery does too. So I think that's what I love about it ... the hope. The world's too dark without it.

It's strange for me, though, because I can't think of any other artist I am willing to continue listening to until I do get it. Well .... maybe the Beatles. Some of their later stuff took awhile to sink in. (Although the white album never did.) That's the magic to me ... there's something about U2's music that makes me want to "get it." Always has been. I actually have chills just thinking about it, is that weird?

PDK likes this.
  12. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

I used to be a big U2 fan but lost interest a while back. I think I have only listened to t his twice.

13. Twilight

Twilight Forum Resident

Yeah, tastes change. Might want to give them another try, though ... it took me 22 years, but I finally discovered I actually like "Pop." Took me almost that long to appreciate the Rolling Stones. :)

JoeDea likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You might check out a few of the live versions on YT - this is a very emotional album for them that goes up a few notches in concert.

A pint of Guinness might help too! :cool:

Gavaxeman and Twilight like this.
  15. Twilight

Twilight Forum Resident

Agreed, seeing U2 live is a whole other thing than listening to the albums. I've "rediscovered" dozens of their songs that way. "Until the End of the World" .... hoolleeeee spit take, Batman.

A pint of Guinness helps everything. :D

The MEZ, JeffMo and Gavaxeman like this.
  16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Has the original version of "Every Breaking Wave" from the No Line on the Horizon sessions ever leaked or been released officially? Rolling Stone published an article previewing No Line on the Horizon that described the recording, so I imagine a finished version was completed and considered for the album before it was pulled from the final track list.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm still waiting for "Mercy" and "Winter". :sigh:

via_atx and longdist01 like this.
  18. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

In short, not a studio version.

The original 2009 arrangement was played live at a handful of dates in 2010 but isn't that great, it's missing a chorus vocal and feels like it missing some magic element.

The single in 2015 was re-recorded and made available to u2.com members to download.

u2songs | U2 - "Every Breaking Wave" Single |

C6H12O6 likes this.
  19. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

longdist01, JeffMo and Panama Jack like this.
  20. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I think so too. It's a great album.

I don't know why people complain because they got a free album.
    I don't get it.

Even if they didn't like it.
    It's free! You paid nothing for it.
    You can delete it it if you don't like it
    :rolleyes:

21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I don't think giving away a free album was their "big mistake"
    I think their big mistake was the album cover.
    Other than that it was the best album they had in years.

Panama Jack likes this.
  22. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I really like the iTunes cover and Rsd version..much better than the Larry and son cover..but as they had already given the album away i can’t see how the cover would have made any difference to sales

Twilight and twicks like this.
  23. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

The RSD wasn't a single LP.

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The main album was on a single LP. I never looked it up until now but I didn't realize the bonus stuff was on it's own LP. Would've been a nice package if I'd ever actually seen one in a shop at normal price. U2 - Songs Of Innocence

25. Flux

Flux Active Member

Hi everyone.

I just picked up the CD version of SOI, with the bonus 2nd disc. The "Acoustic Sessions" are 6 songs combined into 1 track. I find this a little annoying. If anyone could provide instructions for how to separate these tracks, I would be most appreciative. I am on a Mac and have iTunes, Quicktime and VLC, if that helps.

Thanking you in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.