Waiting for the Sun & The Soft Parade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

My only contribution to this thread will be to point out that the first time I heard "The Soft Parade" (the song) on the radio, I thought it was a parody of the Doors.

I'll show myself out.

2. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Some thoughts:
    The first Doors album i ever listened to was WFTS.
    Didn't like it at first,it took a while.
    But Five To One is a top 10 Doors song for me.
    I wasn't alive when TSP was released,with hindsight i see it as a great BUT different record.
    The Doors never repeated themselves,every album was different from the previous except their second;more of the same.
    Strange Days is the one i play less.
    The sound was always amazing,Bruce Botnick.
    I recommend to anybody who doesn't have it yet to get the Rhino Vinyl of TSP.aAnd listen without prejudice.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  3. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Waiting for the sun is their 3rd best record imo

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I've made mention a few times in my various ramblings that sometimes an album cliques only when an experience is full circle. Thus my love for Soft Parade. I once took a short holiday with my good mate from the old days. We were driving to Stinson Beach, one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We were cranking that with the top down, smell of eucalyptus, surf saline air, pine and golden sunlight permeated our being. It was the perfect album,in the perfect moment.

5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I'm a massive Doors fan and love both. I have realised after ranking every single Doors song from best to worst that WFTS actually has the most at the bottom, which I wouldn't have thought since TSP is my least favourite. Anyway, love both, but WTFS is a lot better, mainly coz I'm a sucker for psychedelia. Can't help but feel the production is a lot duller compared to Strange Days, though and Jim's vocals are the weakest of all the albums. We Could Be So Good Together also ranks as the second worst second with Easy Ride being no. 1. WFTS feels somewhat incomplete in a bad way from the song selection, lack of Celebration of the Lizard and the actual musicality. Hello, I Love You is also not a favourite of mine at all. Love Street and Spanish Caravan rank as some of my favourite Doors songs though. Do It from TSP is super underrated and Wild Child's riff always gets stuck in my head. WFTS is a perfect album to listen to in the afternoon on a drive with the sun going down. Shame the title track for WFTS was left off since it's one of my favourite Doors songs easily. I cringe at Jim's opening to TSP song admittedly. Sorry, Jim.

So there's a random collection of thoughts for ya. Jesus. I doubt anyone's going to read this lol.

Strange Days>L.A. Woman>Morrison Hotel>>The Doors>Waiting For the Sun>The Soft Parade
    Debut is overrated imo tbh. Also American Prayer was amazing that one time I heard it. That's where I'd put WFTS and TSP anyways.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

The Doors never made a bad album IMHO - I love these two almost as much as the more highly regarded albums.

I do tweak Soft Parade though - I take off Runnin Blues and Easy Ride and insert Who Scared You and Whiskey, Mystics and Men - makes for a stronger album I think...

7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Who Scared You is a fantastic song. Would've made the album stronger for sure. I went through a period of listening to that to death.
    Whiskey... is too incomplete so I leave it off the album.

Musicman1963 and Bubba Zanetti like this.
  8. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Morrison was at his vocal peak during the Waiting For The Sun sessions (listen to "Yes, The
    River Knows" and tell me I'm wrong...and dig that soaring Robbie K. guitar solo). On the
    other hand, The Soft Parade is the perfect late-60s psychedelic/lounge music hybrid that is
    in a class by itself. These are probably my two most played Doors albums this Century.

giantleech, TS582, Carlox and 4 others like this.
  9. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

From what I can gather so far, lovers or otherwise of the two albums in question all share a need for remedial english comprehension.
    Love.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I find these two albums weaker than the group's other albums, although there are some strong songs in both.

11. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

what do you mean ?

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

I hear you - Whiskey is not ideal, but for me it adds to the heavy, creepy vibe of the album - I put it at the end of side 1...

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Yeah I do quite like the song and would have liked them to have spent a bit more time on it for it to have been on the album but oh well. I do give both versions frequent listens from the Closed Doors outtakes collection.

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I can't blame you for it. I find his poetry on it, especially the opening to be quite embarrassing.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I am a fan of the Doors and purchased most of the albums upon release when I was a youngin.

IMHO, the Doors never made a bad album. Some were just better than others.
    I love The Soft Parade. WFTS, not so much although it has some great tunes on it.

16. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

WFTS and SP are definitely different than the first two albums. All of the material on "The Doors" and "Strange Days" was written and for the most part composed before the first album was even released. The band had amassed at least 2 albums of songs before heading into the studio with Rothchild and Botnick to cut the first album.

Both WFTS and SP are, IMHO, amazing albums in their own rights but, as above, different than the first two releases. The band - and specifically Robbie became much more involved in song writing after the first two albums. Also, Jim began his downward spiral right around the same time so the dynamic of the band most certainty changed after those first 2 albums

17. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Of all the Morrison-era albums, these two probably get the most hate, but I love them. I have no problem with the Doors playing psychedelic pop or even attempting baroque pop. I think the songwriting and production are great on both albums. In the grand scheme of their career, I don’t think these two albums are any sort of big drop in quality like they are often remembered as being.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

Waiting for the sun is good. The soft parade deserves its place as the weakest Doors album with Jimbo.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  19. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Waiting for the Sun is pretty near perfect in my book. The choice to severely edit ‘Celebration of the Lizard’ is on one hand the reason the critics at the time labeled this a disappointment, but in himdsight with various live and studio versions available, it’s easily the thing that saves Waiting for the Sun....Plus not to touch the Earth might be my favorite Doors track of them all....and would’ve been lost in Celebration (which is a pretensious Morrison at his worst mess with a limitedly interesting musical accompaniment).

Overall a strong 4.5/5 record for me and among my favorite Doors albums (occasionally takes the cake)

Track Ratings
    1. Hello, I Love You : 5/5 *masterpiece
    2. Love Street : 5/5 *masterpiece 2nd best track
    3. Not to Touch the Earth: 5/5 *masterpiece best track
    4. Summers Almost Gone : 3.5/5
    5. Wintertime Love 3/5
    6. The Unknown Soldier 5/5 *masterpiece
    7. Spanish Caravan 4/5 but amazing guitar
    8. My Wild Love : 4.5/5
    9. We Could Be So Good Together 3/5
    10. Yes, the River Knows 3.5/5
    11. Five To One : 5/5 *masterpiece

5 masterpieces of its 11 tracks, no bad tracks

Extremely underrated and I’d pick above Strange Days anytime

Soft Parade on the other hand is a messier, transitional record....I’d still give it a 3.5/5 (like it more now than I did ~20+ yrs ago when I first grabbed it...

Carlox and Rickchick like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Waiting For The Sun: a very good album. Had they recorded and included "Celebration of the Lizard", it would have been much better. "Love Street", "Not To Touch The Earth" (part of the "Lizard" piece), "Summer's Almost Gone", "Wintertime Love", "The Unknown Soldier", "Spanish Caravan" and "Yes, the River Knows" are all splendid.

The Soft Parade: a brilliant album, I don't get why so many people dislike it.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love Waiting For The Sun...

giantleech, Miriam and Scope J like this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a German pressed butterfly label Soft Parade, and it sounds amazing.

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love this album!

giantleech, thematinggame and Scope J like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Soft Parade is also a great album. Only unusual because of the use of brass sections. But a great journey for the ears.

[​IMG]

25. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Both Waiting For The Sun and The Soft Parade could easily be improved, not by subtracting any songs, but by simply adding one song to each album. If you add "The Celebration Of The Lizard" to Waiting For The Sun and "Who Scared You" to The Soft Parade, both albums would be improved almost by an entire grade. It not only adds MORE music to both albums that needed it, but the songs are excellent, too.

PIGGIES, andrewskyDE and Lightworker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.