Waterworld: The Ulysses Cut will be released officially!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by will_b_free, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the most famous fan-edits ever made is headed to BluRay, and legally!

[​IMG]

The Ulysses Cut took the extended television version, rebuilt it in widescreen and in high definition, and then restored everything that had been censored for the fragile minds of tv audiences.

So in essence it is the extended television version but in the best quality and with the theatrical dialogue restored. If you prefer the tv dialogue, the tv version is being included as well.

This announcement comes as a surprise so not much is known for sure yet. I would speculate that Arrow rebuilt their version of the "Ulysses Cut" using the fan edit as their guide. That will mean even higher quality but may also mean that some of the special effects touch-ups that the fans carefully made might not be present here. But even so, this is a must-buy.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't give a damn: I like "Waterworld." Dennis Hopper in an eyepatch. Enuf said.

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Any word if it's coming out on this side of Greenland?

4. will_b_free

Arrow makes titles for both the US and the UK; this one is for the US but surely a UK release is coming too.

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It is coming out in both regions. Also, not really the surprise announcement you make it out to be. It has been known for a couple of months that Arrow were working on this, but it only became official news yesterday.

An easy pass, for me, but happy for those who have been hankering for this on BD.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Doesn't sound like any of the cuts deal with the basic story issues - like where they were growing the tobacco the Smokers smoked. Or the location of the oil refinery required to process all the crude oil at the Valdez was carrying.

Vidiot, Pete Puma and Heavy Music like this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Instant buy:cheers:

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can't wait for this! excellent.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Yep, plot holes enough to swallow the movie whole. Utterly ridiculous premise too.

Vidiot, arley and Solaris like this.
  10. The Bandsaw Vigilante

The Bandsaw Vigilante New Member

Neither of those were plot-holes or story-issues -- remember that we see in the film that all the cigarettes predate the apocalypse and were pre-packaged (like when the Deacon throws out cartons to his followers), and we also see that the Valdez's oil supply is likewise pre-apocalyptic, and running low by the time period of the movie (as we see when the Deacon yells down into the bowels of the ship at the scrawny bearded-guy on the raft, who informs him about this).

Purple and daglesj like this.
  11. Never viewed those as "Holes".

They had hoarded the cigarettes and only gave them out as rewards or on special occasions (and of course, rank hath it's privileges). A Tanker is huge and they could hold a very large supply.

The Crude in the Valdez is left over from the last shipment they carried and never delivered. It was being crudely refined in the Ship which resulted in a very dirty Fuel, hence they were the "Smokers".

Now the other plot holes........different story. Depth of the water always bothers me. Deeper than the tallest Skyscraper anywhere - even in the future, let's say less than a mile tall. Even if we build that skyscraper at 10,000 feet above current Sea Level, then put a 5,000 foot skyscraper on top of it, that's 15,000 feet - barely halfway up Everest, and numerous other mountains would protrude as well. Plus I seriously doubt that even if every bit of snow and Ice on the Planet melted, it would cover the Planet to that Depth.

The Volume is STAGGERING.

Numerous other issues as well.

Purple and Vidiot like this.
  12. The Bandsaw Vigilante

The Bandsaw Vigilante New Member

Yeah, there are actually scientific fallacies galore throughout the film (like the water-levels following a catastrophic icemelt, and the depth of the ruins of Denver when the Mariner and Helen descend in the bathyscaph), but the film gets it right where it counts, namely in the worldbuilding and storytelling-arenas. It's like whenever I watch any of the Star Wars movies -- as long as you handwave away the scientific howlers (like the implausible physics behind the maneuverability of X-Wings), everything else is mostly enjoyable, and the science ultimately becomes beside the point.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'd be interested in buying this.... I prefer the longer cut of the film but was really disappointed when the "extended edition" DVD contained all those language edits. How lame was that?

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Best line I ever heard about Waterworld:
    If he could filter his urine to drink it, why couldn't he filter the ocean salt water instead?

15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Manchester University has solved the problem:

Graphene sieve turns seawater into drinking water

melstapler and Ghostworld like this.
  16. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

tmtomh likes this.
  17. arley

arley Forum Resident

Chacun a son gout.

Glad some people enjoyed it, but I found the premise spotty, the plot weak, and...oh, I found it nearly as idiotic as Avatar. Like the often unfair stereotype of a supermodel, it was quite beautiful but incredibly dumb.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

• Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage

Which actors declined to be interviewed is an obvious question. Any Costner involvement in this release?

19. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm more excited about the Making Of documentary than I am about the actual movie. Back in its day, the production of Waterworld was notorious for budget overruns, immense shooting challenges, and bitter feuding between the director and Kevin Costner.

I saw the movie in theaters and while it wasn't perfect by a long shot, the action scenes were terrific - particularly an early boat chase where Kevin Costner is attempting to escape capture by Dennis Hopper's gang. Costner's all in - hanging back and forth on the side of his catamaran, attempting to lift it over ropes, change direction, and outrun jet skis.

I'll be picking this up, absolutely.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm curious about the censored bits that are restored to the European "Ulysses" cut. What are they, more scenes of Jeanne Tripplehorn using a body double for nudity?

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Looks like this has been delayed until Jan. 22 :sigh:

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Disc replicator bottleneck. It's why Criterion had to push some releases back.

23. will_b_free

Suits me fine, more time to save up.

24. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Criterion?

My Amazon order still has this release as Dec. 11th.

Arrow Video still has Dec 11th as their release date.

Arrow Video USA Release Calendar

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Really looking forward to seeing the longer cut. Waterworld was my favorite movie back in 96/97.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.