A Musical Tour of the World: All Countries A-Z One Per Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Someone was eventually going to post an Os Mutantes video, so..........

‪Os Mutantes - Caminhante Noturno

bekayne and HitAndRun like this.
  2. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

There's a talented pop rock band called Nenhum de Nós, from Rio Grande do Sul, that for some reason remained popular for a very short time in my country, to me they deserved as much success as the most popular bands like Paralamas do Sucesso, Skank, Biquíni Cavadão, Ira etc. I admit failing to not take into account the lyrics subject/aspect, because most of the Brasilian people have an actually strong bond or connection with the lyric part of the music, commonly as a more important aspect of enjoyment.
    But their approach to music is one of my very favourites, for example their great "new wavish" guitar approach on "Eu Caminhava" is quite something that I couldn't hear in any other Brasilian band:

Nenhum de Nós - Eu Caminhava

This was one of their very few songs that had a really massive radio airplay, maybe for being a cover song (but a really great arrangement anyhow, IMO):

O Astronauta de Mármore (Bowie's Starman cover)
    YouTube

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    HitAndRun likes this.
  3. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

As I talked about Rock, when Brasilian Rock is concerned, Vanusa's amazing and timeless song "What To Do" is my all-time winner by a mile above all other Brasilian rock songs. And its intro was NOT a ripoff of Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" track intro by any stretch of imagination! :p :winkgrin:

HitAndRun likes this.
  4. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's very good that Rick took over today as I woke up to a power cable issue which meant I couldn't run or charge my laptop. Through ... improvisation ... I'm back online but have to focus on completing my day job work.

I see that there are lots of posts, and I need to go through them to make sure that I'm not duplicating. I'm going to take a risk and hope that this very interesting track by Dom La Nena has not been posted.

She is another person with a very international background. She is born in Brasil, but has also lived in Paris, Argentina, and has now returned to France. She is not the first and will not be the last artist I post who is from one country, and I post her under that country, but now lives and works in Paris.

The track name is 'Batique' and I don't know but suspect this is a reference to the Cabo Verdean music style Batique which will be coming up in a few days.

I see that Kurup has already been posted, and I've moved another act to France as the artist was born in France to Brasilian parents, and that's getting a bit too French.

And, I thank Rick for posting the lead post and continuing the discussion (and thank those who participated). You all have saved my posterior today.

5. HitAndRun

On searching I see that Kurup has not been mentioned yet; I must have mis-read.

I found the use of what sounds like latin percussion in these electronic beats interesting. Joeira by Kurup.

6. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

A very comprehensive selection today, thanks to Rick and others, which will take me a while to explore.

This is just a clip that I found yesterday and liked whilst trawling through YouTube; it's by Thais Morell from February of this year (the tune does sound a little familiar to me in places ...)

It appears that she was born and raised in Curitiba in the south of Brazil, but has since studied and lived in Finland, Ghana, and Spain
    VALENCIA MUSIC...Thaïs Morell (Exclusive Interview) • 24/7 Valencia

HitAndRun likes this.
  7. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

LoveYourLife and HitAndRun like this.
  8. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

''Nessa Casa'' sounds quite a bit resemblant to something that Adriana Calcanhoto (I posted something about her) did quite a while ago that I can't recall its tune name any more. When I have some time will find it out and come back with it to you. Thais Morell is a new musician to me anyway, and, judging by what you tell about her, this which sounds like a familiar style to me might be only one of her different approaches.

HitAndRun likes this.
  9. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

You're welcome HitAndRun:thumbsup:

HitAndRun likes this.
  10. HitAndRun

I've got over my panic today, and have been listening to music in the background while working. I'm still working through tracks published today, and I *HOPE* that I have sampled at least some of them.

If things had been less ... stressed ... earlier on I would have revelled in the freedom I had today to look into things a bit left field. I have had one playlist from a future country in my headphones a bit (skipping frequently) and every song was very competently written, arranged, sung, and produced. But, all missing that spark that makes music really great.

So, when I could come up for air, I had a look for something a bit different. I found a good playlist. The New Sounds of Brazil - Artists to watch. Lots of interesting and refreshingly original music there. From there I'll choose the song by Alice Caymmi: Arco Da Alianca. There's something about this I really like. Caymmi is from a family that perhaps can be described as Brasilian music royalty - at least from my googling and reading her bio. EDIT: I see that @Jamsterdammer has already posted a song by someone with Caymmi as their surname and guess that they are from the same family.

That was apparently from an album The New Sounds of Brazil. But, when I looked that up, I found a different album on Spotify. I'll have a listen to that. I noted another album that came up: Cafe Brazil: A Guide Through The New Sounds of Bossa Nova. I liked a track by Karen Souza on that album, but she turns out to be unambiguously Argentinian. Looking through, I found this track.

A Fronteira Do Paraíso - Sergio Novaes & Nova Bossa Ltd

This is just so catchy, that I'm playing it on repeat. It's gone into my playlist of super-catchy songs to stay. I really like it.

11. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Ritchie - Menina Veneno

He's an Englishman living in Rio, with a deservedly successful career made in Brasil. "Menina Veneno" is such a great pop song that put him for a long, loooong time in the top of the Brasilian MPB charts as well as achieved damn massive radio airplay for decades.

HitAndRun likes this.
  12. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Zizi Possi - Perigo

Other great MPB tune that was such a massive radio hit for literally decades, love that song! Zizi Possi had a long-time successful career thanks to her prolific discography, which includes as well great hits sung in Italian (she's of Italian descent), like this very romantic one:

Zizi Possi - Per Amore
    YouTube

john hp and HitAndRun like this.
  13. HitAndRun

I'm about to go to sleep and when I awake it will be time for Brunei.

But, here's a Brasilian song I've just found on Spotify that I like a lot.

Sexo Frágil by Pepeu Gomes.

14. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I think you're going to like this one, but Gal sings in a duo with Tim Maia:

Gal Costa & Tim Maia - Um Dia de Domingo

HitAndRun and Jamsterdammer like this.
  15. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

As we are somewhat close to beginning the next country and I'm also about to go to sleep, I let you with Chico singing ..."Bye Bye Brasil"
    :wave:

Chico Buarque de Holanda - Bye Bye Brasil

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I thought I should check in on this thread (not knowing where it was at), and as I was doing so I was streaming the album A Certain Mr. Jobim, must be a sign! It's not something I ususally listen to (although I own the Getz/Gilberto album, so I'm not averse to some Jobim and a bit of Bossa Nova), I was just playing some stuff that was mentioned in a YouTube clip, this came up there because of Claus Ogerman, who has done the orchestral arrangements. So here is the last track on that album, which I am on right now, "Zingaro" (which I believe means "gypsy"):

The image in the clip is not of the album (but I think the audio is the correct version), this is the album: A Certain Mr. Jobim - Wikipedia

17. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Great song, even though I am usually not a big fan of Tim Maia.

Well, I was (and still am) convinced one cannot do justice to the music of Brasil in just one day, but you have definitely given it your best shot! Thanks for all the great music.

HitAndRun likes this.
  18. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

Sepultura, from Belo Horizonte, is the most famous Metal band from Brazil. They've been a band since 1984 and released a new album this year.

"Isolation" (2020)

19. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

HitAndRun likes this.
  20. HitAndRun

Wow, even more. Thanks for all the music everybody. And thanks again to Rick.

Today's country is Brunei.

I found there is a LOT of extremely competently produced pop music from Brunei. Production, arrangement, performance all top notch but somehow lacking excitement or at least something distinctive enough to get me to want to add it to a personal playlist. At least the modern music didn't have the over the top pitch correction I found in mainstream pop in some countries. But, it's made me want to start with something quite different to that, so I choose as the my first song the punkish thrash of Eda Brig with their song 'I Don't Care'.

As I said, my choices here have been influenced by the amount of generic pop I've been listening to over the last few weeks and my growing desire to find music outside of mainstreams.

Here's some more energetic indie-style music. Far from Over by Secret Signal. And some LoFi pop (please tell me if I am getting genres wrong) Sometimes by The Surf Vampires.

For the traditional side of things, Brunei's distinctive culture includes the song Adai Adai sung by fiishermen on their way to work. However, frustratingly, couldn't find a single clear performance of the song on Youtube. This video has the song being played in the background, while someone speaks in a language I don't recognise over the top. There are plenty of videos of traditional Bruneian music, but nothing I've found that stands out as a good representative.

I seem to have lost the playlist I found of very competent Brunei pop music, which isn't such a great loss as they all sounded quite cookie cutter. I do have this song Tertulis by Ezah Hashim, which has all the ingredients of a great song except perhaps that little dash of magic that truly great songs have. At least the singer can truly sing and doesn't need pitch correction.(Or perhaps Bruneian music producers know how to apply it without going way over the top.) Perhaps the video could make its moral point in a slightly more sophisticated way.

I haven't found that Bruneian song that really like and will continue listening to over time. Perhaps like Bhutan and Brazil I'll find it during the day. This song, Malas by Aznniel Yunus is more interesting and original, but I hope to find something even better.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Rick Robson likes this.
  21. HitAndRun

And quickly I'll add one more. The heavy rock (not sure I think this qualifies as metal) of Karacoma and their song I.K.T.S.

john hp likes this.
  22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Well researched as always; I suspect this thread may be a little quieter than it was yesterday, although this will provide a chance to catch up with all the Brazilian posts. I did like 'Adai-Adai' once the voice-over came to an end.

I could only find to add Putri Norizah, who was in fact born in Malaysia, but raised in Brunei; she considers herself "half Bruneian and half Malaysian" (Several YouTube comments about the two countries more or less say "we are all brothers and sisters of the same race")

she was only 13 when this song about traditional childrens' games in Brunei was recorded in 2004

here, solo in 2012 covering a k-pop song (originally by Buster Buster) for her fans
    YouTube

she can be seen in 2011 performing a medley of traditional songs (including Adai-Adai) with "Ezah P2F", although only in an amateur video shot from the audience
    YouTube

The Journey of Putri Norizah

HitAndRun likes this.
  23. HitAndRun

Thanks John. She can sing really well which is a bit of a relief given what I have seen when listening to ... other music. The cover of the K-Pop song is really nice, because I was a bit burnt out on over-produced chart-orientated pop music and it's nice to hear the acoustic song (with self-played ukulele!) sung well. Thanks also for posting the details. It's nice to learn a bit more about the artists too.

24. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

You're welcome @Jamsterdammer! it's a pleasure to me have collaborated. :righton:

Jamsterdammer and HitAndRun like this.
  25. HitAndRun

Thanks for the music, John. (In this case :) )

Today's country is Bulgaria.

I'll point out that my research for this thread is currently biasing me away from the mainstream. I've heard an awful lot of great music in researching, but also quite a lot that I don't like. I'm very much at this point looking for music that's out of the mainstream and sounds fresh. So, I'm going to lead with the song by Ivan Shopov, who in his career has done an awful lot of interesting things and collaborated with a very large number of interesting artists. Here he is performing with the vocal band Avigeya, song: Chichovite Konye (Clockvice Remix)

EDIT: Odd, this track is showing an error in the preview. But, you can click on this link to get to the same video and it seems to be working.

This is nowhere near the most interesting thing Ivan has done. But, I chose this track because they are live in Plovdiv. I'd never heard of Plovdiv until earlier in the year when I started planning my next big travels and wondered if I could travel solely on land, no air travel, all the way to Samarkand and back. If I buy myself a FlixBus InterFlix ticket for 99 euros for five journeys, then it seems the furthest east I can get from the UK using FlixBus is Plovdiv in Bulgaria. From there I can take a local Hungarian coach to Istanbul, and from there the world, or at least the Far East, is my oyster. So, I'd say that when/if travel becomes possible again, that it's very possible I will be taking a few days in Plovdiv.

Sorry to go off-topic.

In the popularisation of 'world music', Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, released in 1975, is very well known. Here is Ergen Deda from that album, performed live.

As I said, I'm definitely looking for less mainstream music right now. Here is ultra-minimalist techno, Teach Me Patience by Evitceles Here is Zhelkya by Oratnitza feat. Iliyana Naydenova, which features didgeridoo and cajon, some more normal 'Bulgarian' vocals, and some interesting hip-hop style vocals.

I found quite a lot of very interesting music sung in English, but still with a distinctive flavour. Here is Hip Swindlers by Babyface Clan. While I have done pre-research quite a way ahead, the anti-mainstream bias meant that the only track from my pre-research for Bulgaria that actually got posted here was Ergen. But, I found some nice pop music that sounds interesting. Here's Little Cars by Dead Man's Hat.

In researching countries, it's VERY useful when people with excellent taste in music write introductions to a country's music. If I may be allowed to be so pretentious, I'd like to say: Bulgarian writer and journalist Svetoslav Todorov: I salute you!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Jamsterdammer and john hp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.