Acoustic Sounds Announces Price Increase Of All Analogue Productions LPs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Myke, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

2. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Better get out there and buy now before the increase..... $40 and $60? How long before Mobile Fidelity follows suit?
    My interest in buying reissue lps is waning.......

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. This is getting ridiculous. I will be slowing down my new vinyl purchases for sure.

4. Myke

I actually have all the AP albums I've ever wanted. Good time to not be wanting more.

5. Myke

Bump for those that may have missed this.

6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

It's OK guys, if you read until the end, you'll see that they appreciate our understanding and continued support.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Price gouging.

caracallac, Fox67 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

If these prices are all over including the majors, watch for the public to stop buying.

caracallac likes this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Food prices are going up, car prices are going up…so why wouldn’t physical media follow suit? Raw material and shipping costs are skyrocketing so you should get used to it as it will need to be passed to the customers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    giantleech, PoetryOnPlastic and Myke like this.
  10. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Everything going up except wages

caracallac, Fox67, mackat and 8 others like this.
  11. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

They know people will keep buying the rekkids.

Myke likes this.
  12. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

While percentage wise might look like a big increase, gotta tell you the truth, and I really thank G*d for allowing me to say this, $5 is not a big deal... actually, in most people's minds, paying the old prices, $35 and $55 is already bonkers ! :D and we are crazy for doing that! So yeah, no biggie, imho...

It bothers me way more when AP and specially Music Matters ( haven't heard MoFi doing this) START charging Market price instead of their own set MSRP for the items they produce... and even in that case, I assume there are some people that can talk about that situation the way I talk about the 5 bucks... no biggie! so YMMV! :D

v

mikeyt and Flatbubba like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I know, but this price increase is way over the rate of inflation.

14. Myke

I agree. Those that could still afford to feed themselves and buy a steady stream of these aren't going to care one bit about an extra $5.00 a pop. They'll pay it and move right on.

noname74 likes this.
  15. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

I'm already particular about what AP's I buy at $55. I have to really want it. And if I really want it, I can't see the $5 more from stopping me from pulling the trigger. Much more than that might have me rethinking, but I guess they probably know that. And that's why its a $5 increase and not a $10 one.

If you want to see true insanity, try car shopping now! Unavoidable circumstances are forcing me to buy a car before mid-October. I'm on dealership websites where they are automatically adding $3-$5 K and more on top of the MSRP as a "Market Adjustment Cost." They're not shy about it! Thankfully there are some local dealers who are still honoring MSRP when they get stock - those are the only ones I'll deal with now and in the future.

mikeyt and PATB like this.
  16. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

I’ll do it, and no I won’t miss the extra $5, but it still doesn’t mean I have to like it. Hey, look at it this way: easier to hit the free shipping threshold!

17. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

yowsa - remember a time when one felt like a chump for paying... MSRP... yikes

v

Fox67, Sedwards and mikeyt like this.
  18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I feel like the price increase was already in place for a lot of LPs. I recently bought the AP mono Pet Sounds and it was $40, I remember when they came out they were $35.

19. TNhillbilly

TNhillbilly Doctor Wu

Yep. 3 things…….

1. It’s not like they’re currently charging $25 for a record. They are ALREADY charging $35 for a SINGLE record(a vinyl disc wrapped in cardboard) & $55 for a double lp.
    2. These are not expensive raw materials, cardboard and vinyl
    3. It’s already ridiculous to be raising your prices when your prices are already ridiculous, but don’t just arbitrarily go up on back inventory you’ve already had set costs on. Come out and say that future releases will be more and any restocks will also go up.

I’m done with them purely out of principal. I bet their margins are already well above most every other industry.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Anybody know the cost of making a vinyl record album today? It was 44 cents in '66. Watch for much less sales if the standard $30 an album goes up. Higher end pressings probably not much, people like those.

21. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Just read through this article - Why Are Vinyl Records So Expensive? (And Will It Ever Change?) | Top Record Players

Since the end of 2019 into 2020, there has been a severe shortage of labor and materials for pressing plants that create vinyl records.

Due to the global pandemic, many people were laid off (or getting sick) all up and down the supply chain. Prices for raw materials went up, and labor prices went up (fewer workers means they cost more to hire).

As a result, lead times for production are currently 3 to 6 months to get a record pressed.

This does not even take into account the shipping issues the entire industry experienced last year (and continues to experience to a lesser extent today). The pandemic hit the shipping industry extremely hard, raising costs and limiting workers.

noname74 likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

$35 LPs will become $40.
    $55 LPs will become $60

Purchases will become non-purchases.

Reissue labels will go out of business.

Everyone will scratch their heads and ask why.

JustGotPaid, Tullman and DrZhivago like this.
  23. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The market will probably embrace the $5 increase IF they can improve the "quality". Bad quality + ridiculous prices = vinyl fans taking hi-res streaming more seriously.

mackat and slimjw like this.
  24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Economics 101

Myke likes this.
  25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You would think although judging by this thread a few people skipped that course.

Cody B and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.