Arcam CD72 Troubleshooting - Skips Constantly

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Runicen, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if anyone here can recommend something I haven't tried, but a relative had an Arcam CD72 he really enjoyed the sound of which had basically degraded to the point that it couldn't play a single disc without skipping constantly. Silver discs, CD-R, brand new, old, etc. didn't seem to matter. It just couldn't hack it.

He passed it on to me to see if I could find anything to do with it. The innards were clean and the optics didn't have any visible issues. I picked up a new laser assembly on eBay and replaced the thing, but the problem persisted even with new optics, so it's clearly some kind of calibration issue, but that's beyond the scope of anything I've done before.

At this point, there are three basic options (as I can see it):

1.) The optical assembly I used as a replacement was defective garbage and the problem isn't really "persisting" as much as not resolved by the replacement with an inferior part;

2.) I can learn how to calibrate the optics myself or find a shop in the northeastern US that can do the same; or

3.) Some unknown "X factor" is causing the issue and I've been barking up the wrong tree all this time.

Anyone here had any success troubleshooting a similar issue? I gather that directly contacting Arcam isn't an option anymore as these are no longer made (or serviced?) by them directly.

2. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’ve always found Arcam quite helpful in the past, so I would try contacting them by email even if it isn’t a current model.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you haven't done so already, I suggest cleaning and lubing the rails the laser slides on.

Runicen and patient_ot like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would definitely contact the manufacturer. That CDP may have a common problem they know about. Besides the usual stuff with lasers, players can develop problems on the board, particularly if they are older CDPs. I realize this model is from 2002, but that still makes it 17 years old and things can go wrong. Maybe you will get lucky and it's a simple problem but every component on the board should be tested as well as common problems.

Front 242 Addict and Runicen like this.
  5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Trash it. Get a new one. Life is short. Music is good.

Dennis Metz and Runicen like this.
  6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is a good replacement lubricant so it doesn't gum up again down the road?

Funny enough, this is the attitude my relative took towards it when the laser replacement didn't do the job. It's just been haunting me ever since! :laugh:

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

I used Tri-flow on mine when I replaced the laser. I figured I might as well clean and lube it while it's open. One tiny drop is all you need.
    [​IMG]

Runicen likes this.
  8. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

I had one of these for about 10 years which eventually gave up the ghost - skipping, refusing to play about 25% of CDs I put in it, etc. Ditched and replaced.

Long-time Arcam fan and customer, but becoming increasingly concerned about the reliability of their stuff.

Runicen likes this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t trash it without contacting Arcam. Their stuff can be good for 25, 30 years or more (I know from personal family experience). At 17 years it may/may have a few years left in it yet. And when it’s working it sounds great.

Runicen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.