Clapton and the King: "Riding With The King" gets 20th anniversary reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

Eric Clapton, B.B. King's 'Riding with the King' to Be Reissued With Two Unreleased Tracks
    From Wikipedia:
    Riding with the King (B.B. King and Eric Clapton album) - Wikipedia

2. Pablo.

Pablo. Forum Resident

I was relistening it a couple of days ago. A good album, some great moments, but Simon Climie wasn't the man to produce a blues summit. Too many guitar players in the mix (Andy Fairweather Low and Doyle Bramhall II - just one rhythm guitar was enough) drum programming on most of the tracks when you already have Steve Gadd (and we're not talking about Gaucho kind of music), a couple of Bramhall II tunes best suited to a solo Clapton album (I bet that "Rollin' and tumblin" and "Let me love you baby" were better choices)... I'm glad that this album exists, and the respect Eric showed to BB. But sometimes, less is more.

hi_watt, DTK, johnny q and 8 others like this.
  3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Good summary.

For what it's worth, Climie was also responsible for one of B.B.'s most disappointing records ever - "Reflections" - which is not a blues album but still, definitely the wrong producer for the man.

The signs were already there when EC & BB made the duet version of "Rock Me Baby" with that awful drum programming underneath, and when EC thought the programming on his own song "Sick and Tired" made any sense.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

I, uh, I love that. Standout track from Pilgrim. His guitar and vocal saves it.

The string section lets that track down, if anything, but it's also melodic as hell.

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. JulesRules

Don't get me wrong, the song has lots of potential, and as you say, EC's guitar and vocals are great but the "drumming" is a joke and turns it into a mess for me. I actually once attempted to replicate/overdub a better programmed drum part for my own enjoyment but couldn't be bothered to follow through...

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. The album was a colossal disappointment, which was largely the fault of the sleek production. This collaboration (and album) could have been special had it been produced the same manner as From The Cradle, which was largely recorded live and presented a more organic and natural ambiance, the ideal sound for what should have been an authentic blues album.

hi_watt, DTK, johnny q and 7 others like this.
  7. Pablo.

Pablo. Forum Resident

PILGRIM tunes definitely worked better in a live setting.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. JulesRules

I really like the songs from it on the "One More Car..." live album. According to setlist.fm he played 10 of the 14 Pilgrim tracks live. Only found this one from the song I was talking about, and the recording isn't great, but yes, the drums do sound better (and I would've been surprised if they hadn't)...

Returning to "Riding with the King", what can we expect from the mastering?

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Lacquers cut by Chris Bellman. Good enough for me. May sell the DVD-A now.

10. Myke

11. JulesRules

I was talking about the CD :)

12. Myke

JulesRules likes this.
  13. JulesRules

Yeah, I know, but he's not been consistent for several years now, so it's hard to expect anything from him. The recent Midnight Oil live album was really well mastered IMO, but then there are others that have been talked to death on this forum.

As long as nobody comments on the mastering, I'm not too crazy to get the reissue.

14. I did get the vinyl release of this anniversary edition. On blue vinyl.

It sounds quite nice, but I haven't compared it with the AF SACD yet. Nice to have the two extra tracks.

RiRiIII and longdist01 like this.
  15. My first copy of the blue vinyl had some weird matte spots on the 2nd record. The replacement copy was fine. Otherwise, pressing quality is nice. I am happy with it.

16. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Please do let us know if you get a chance to compare it with the AF SACD. Thx

17. I think I like the AF SACD still a bit better overall.

mattright likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

honesty can get you beat up around here sometimes.........this is not a very good album IMHO.

hi_watt, DTK and Bill like this.
  19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Because....

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it is just very blah, nothing that jumps out of the speakers at me, no blazing dueling guitar parts, it's just there. typical of most eric clapton albums, well played, well sung, well produced, very slick, but meh :shrug:

and yes i am catalog on clapton.

maui jim, hi_watt, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  21. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

FWIW I really like this album. The 2011 double lp is mentioned on The Absolute Sounds list of the best sounding lp’s. If CB also did the lacquers on this new one then I would expect it to sound awesome as well.

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Riding with the King was a CD I really wanted to like and didn't.

Bill likes this.
  23. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I listened to the DVDA a couple of nights ago. Not really a huge fan of the album, and I love BB and Clapton.

shokhead likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah I agree. This album is a snoozefest, none of the fire and passion of the best blues music. Why couldn't they just have recorded BB and Eric together live in a room with bass and drums. Guess because of two factors - they were shooting for a commerical success, and, busy schedules (always had the suspicion this album was done via e-mail and that Eric and BB didn't actually play at the same time).

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  25. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I liked the album, and I’m glad they did it. Could it have been better, sure.

RiRiIII, Tim 2 and AFA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.