Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Seconded. :)

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Nice! I've got the original LP cover framed on my listening-room wall...

5-String likes this.
  3. John S

John S Forum Resident

I want this one badly. I'm over purchased this month, unfortunately.
    I've heard Till so much I'm sick of it. Not so the other two. In fact I've had to make do with the eighties HvK/Berlin as my only version. I'm ready for a new perspective. The ace audio quality will be a huge bonus.

5-String likes this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I listened to Smetana's The Bartered Bride this morning for the first time. Sung in German, conducted by Rudolf Kempe with Fritz Wunderlich, Pilar Lorengar and Gottlob Frick. Some really beautiful music. I need to find a Czech version.

[​IMG]
    I'm in the same boat in terms of over purchased for the month. Fortunately, I have six or seven versions of each work.

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Very moving article on the live broadcast of the BSO where Erich Leinsdorf announced Kennedy was assassinated.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivec...il&utm_campaign=20131121&utm_source=classical

Linked in that article is the first 4 minutes of a national broadcast 2 days later of Bernstein conduction the NYPO in Mahler's Resurrection I'd love to see the whole broadcast. I'm sure a lot of emotion went into the performance.

sgb likes this.
  6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Rubinstein's unreleased Schubert D960, from April 1965. I forget who said it was better than the released version, but I absolutely agree.

From the liner notes of Volume 54 of the Rubinstein Collection, released in 1999:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

004.JPG
    Capitol P 8329, Felix Slatkin conducting The Hollywood Bowl SO in the Peer Gynt Suites & Caucasian Sketches by Ippolitoff-Ivanov.
    recorded on Sound Stage Seven, Samuel Goldwyn Studios, 12/4-5/55 (Gynt) & 12/16-18/55 (Sketches). produced by Richard Jones
    (Gynt) & Francis M. Scott (Sketches). engineer: John Palladino. these mono recording are also included on the pictured EMI 'FDS'
    CD from 1999. according to the nameplate on the front of the LP, the owner bought this in the year of release, 1956.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Officium -Jan Garbarek & The Hilliard Ensemble (ECM)

I bought this for a co-worker around the time it came out with th idea that I would hear it and decide if I wanted a copy myself. I never heard her copy but later heard it and liked it a little but wasn't sure I wanted to own it. Fast forward to the present where I have been immersing myself in Arvo Part's choral music and decided to order it. Sitting here listening for the first time all the way through and I'm glad I got it. I'm even glad I waited until now as my mind is ready to accept this music more fully and Jan Garbarek' saxophone adds a touch of spice to the mix.

I also picked up Perotin's music by The Hilliard Ensemble too on ECM but I haven't given it a spin. Someone here recommended it but I don't remember who to thank.

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    dale 88, sgb, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Johann Sebastian Bach – Sonatas and Partitas for Violin solo I - BWV 1001-1003 (Archiv Produktion – DG)
    Nathan Milstein

[​IMG]

13. George P

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nice! I am collecting Capitol classical, mainly the mono FDS, but so far I have only around ten LPs. You would think that they must be more common and maybe they are, I don't know why I haven't managed to find more.
    Their sound quality is superb and much more consistent than the RCA monos or the Mercury. I have posted this before:

[​IMG]
    This is my reference for how a violin should be recorded and sound.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just a heads-up. ImportCDs is running a storewide 10% off sale through 11/26. Code is SAVE10

George P likes this.
  16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I saw it, any recommendations? I was trying to search for box sets to make it worthy but their search is limited.

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Concerto No.4 in G, Op.58
    Arthur Rubinstein — Royal Philharmonic Orchestra — Sir Thomas Beecham (RCA Victor Red Seal Collector's Edition – Sony Music)

[​IMG]

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

19. George P

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Sad to see that visitors' commentary taints the solemnity of the posting at LPB. Thank you for posting.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I was wondering because of the price difference $62.53 vs. $136.49. Good to know that the cheaper choice is the recommended one!

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got my copy of the Slatkin LP for 50 cents at Half Price Books in Indianapolis last spring.It's in good shape & sounds nice, though I had to crank the
    volume a bit.The CD version sounds slightly better to my ears.

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

015.JPG

bluemooze and 5-String like this.
  24. George P

The cheaper choice is recommended because you can buy it. :)

5-String likes this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got this recently for $3.95 but haven't listened to it yet. I have his mono recordings of the same pieces for Capitol & thought they were very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.