Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, Flac 16 and 24 bits. You also get the MP3s as bonus but I did not bother with it. All are DRM free.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some Mozart in the morning, from the big Rubinstein box. This is some lovely stuff!

5-String likes this.
  3. George P

[​IMG]

...and now some Saint Saens from the big Rubinstein box.

Mr Bass likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The Schubert release came out about a month ago. To be honest, I had not heard the name of the conductor (Pablo-Heras-Casado) before but I read a five star review of the disc in the latest Stereophile issue and I became interested.
    The performance of the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra is excellent and they play their hearts off with great enthusiasm and spirit. As it is been mentioned, these are historically informed performances with very sharp attacks, minimum vibrato and exciting speeds. If you like the more traditional approach, then, this might not be for you.
    One major aspect of the sound is that the timpani stand out in a startling way. I 've never heard timpani like that in Schubert before. The way this timpanist plays really makes a big impact and it is something that needs to be heard to believe it.
    The sound quality is also excellent, the recording is very detailed without at the same time being bright or harsh. This is highly recommended.

[​IMG]

5. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation, but I probably don't know enough theory to follow a technical analysis. But I do know that the 6th is written in the Dorian mode :)

Maybe I'll search it because of Nielsen who's another big favorite of mine, though unfortunately he's not discussed very much. How many pieces the book covers?

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well, if you understand the difference between a mode and a key and can read simple music examples you might be able to work your way through the discussion. The Sym 6 actually fluctuates between G and D Dorian and a conventional d minor. The Lionel Pike book covers most of the symphonies of Beethoven and all of Sibelius' symphonies. He doesn't mention Nielsen except in passing. The standard book on Nielsen was by Robert Simpson. It is less technical than the Pike book although it necessarily discusses Nielsen's use of "progressive" tonality. You are right about the lack of attention paid to Nielsen relatively speaking. It is interesting that Sibelius' music seems to travel more than Nielsen's despite the fact that Nielsen wrote music closer to the central European tradition.

John S likes this.
  7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Joseph Haydn – Symphonies No.4, No.27, No.10, No.20
    — Stuttgarter Kammerorchester — Dennis Russell Davies (Sony)

[​IMG]

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

What do you think of this series? I owned all of Dorati's set on LP as it came out. A little sloppy, but nice sound and rustic feel. But I would like something with a little more precision. Colin Davis is close to my ideal in Haydn's symphonies, though the La Petite Band's original instrument recordings of the Paris Symphonies are amazing.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

For those considering hi rez downloads, this site was referenced on another SHTV thread. On a first glance it seems a useful tool.

http://www.findhdmusic.com/

5-String likes this.
  10. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

This is a great CD that arrived yesterday....Kind of closed mic, but it serves the recording well...you really feel the power and dynamism as well as nuance and reverberance
    of the Theorbo...

[​IMG]

11. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Schubert: String Quintet. Arthur Grumiaux et al. Philips

schubertqnt.jpg

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  12. Mr Bass

Re: Haydn Symphonies

I agree strongly on Colin Davis for these works. I also like Beecham. Dorati was a bit of a disappointment as I would have thought the interpretations at least would have been near definitive. They weren't bad but fell well short of greatness. I do enjoy some of the performances by Adam Fischer with his Austro Hungarian Orchestra though.

13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I've only listened to the first two discs of early symphonies so far. I'm not a Haydn expert but the playing and recording sound good to me. You certainly can't beat the current price - less than 25 cents a symphony! These were recorded live and there is some applause at the end of each symphony which some people don't like, but it hasn't bothered me. I haven't noticed any extraneous noise during the music - they sound like studio recordings overall.

Robin L likes this.
  14. George P

Thanks for the report, alankin!

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Classical forum appreciation giveaway...please only if you do not have the works listed on the CD.

51eZu-ziXdL__SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bizet
    L'Arlesienne Suites 1 and 2
    Carmen Suite Number 1
    Abbado and the LSO

First to PM me gets it for free.

5-String likes this.
  16. john greenwood

My Rubinstein box arrived. All the discs are correct. There were black marks on several sleeves. For me, not a big deal.

17. Rose River Bear

Gonesville. :D

18. George P

Can I ask which ones had the black marks?

19. Rose River Bear

Am I reading the price correctly as a little over a hundred bucks for this on Amazon? 144 discs? If so, I am in like flint.

20. john greenwood

Not going through the whole box again :), but CD15 and two of the Early Recordings folders. One or two more.

21. Rose River Bear

22. john greenwood

(in like [Errol] Flynn). The movie title was a pun.

John S likes this.
  23. George P

Yeah, the early ones were the worst of mine. And my 15 has black marks too.

Since those early CDs were the ones that reportedly were missing CDs or had doubles of the same disc, I bet they opened them up and replaced the missing discs. For some reason, they seem to have decided to have a coal miner do it.

24. George P

25. George P

Maybe he mean that he was in like [a skin] flint?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.