Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have quite a number of Erato LP's but they were all from France ...

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I had that at one time. There are a number of good performances on it but on one or perhaps two of the disks, the narrator* just got under my skin with very mannered interpretations. A shame too because Machaut's music is mostly badly performed. In fact he may be the greatest composer who is performed the worst. The recording was a bit too reverberant as well if my memory of it is accurate. I would be curious as to your reaction.

*NB Guillaume de Machaut was as noted for his poetry as his music. He wrote half a dozen long narrative poems on courtly love which incorporated a number of songs. This was an attempt to put the songs back into their original context.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Do you like this set? I have been through it only once a while back.

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yeah, the narration isn't my idea of ear candy but I just tune it out until the music/vocals start again.

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You need it. It is beautiful.

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

009.JPG
    I was not familiar with the works on this CD. At this point I feel I have heard the Brahms symphonies a little too often; this piano music is a refreshing change & I think Kempff does a fine job. Sound is a little hard in louder passages. Recorded in Dec. 1963 in the
    Beethoven-Saal, Hannover. Despite the label, this copy plays without problems.

zmic likes this.
  7. sankalp1989

sankalp1989 New Member

thank you n Yeah thats true .. Could you suggest me some great instrument artists preferably double bass violin, Guitar, flute n saxo

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I mentioned the same set. Don't know of the reissues either.

9. zmic

zmic Forum Resident

When I was a somewhat younger man I couldn't warm to Brahms' symphonies at all, but this disk I must have listened to at least a hundred times.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

No artist is good in all music styles so can you be more specific what music periods you are most interested in say Baroque, Romantic, Modern, Classic?? In addition those are fairly unusual instruments for soloists in classical music except possibly flute. Flute also has a big divide between Baroque and later music. The only classical saxophone record I am familiar with is the one with Eugene Rousseau and the Paris Conservatoire on Deutsche Gramophone. Double bass I am at a total loss other than Gary Karr. Guitar has a big divide between Spanish works and the rest. I am not a big fan of the usual suspects in classical guitar (John Williams, Julian Bream, Narciso Yepes) but that is just me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    sankalp1989 likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Late Brahms, just about everything from Op. 111 on is just about perfect. I suspect one could glean more from the recording that DGG does here, the Galleria series is one of the earliest reissue series from DGG, doubtless a more recent digital transfer [or a good, original analog LP] would have a more appealing sound. Gould is nearly at his best in this music, Van Cliburn produced some lovely recordings of this music as well.

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Cesar Franck – Symphony in D minor, Psyche et Eros
    — Philharmonia Orchestra — Carlo Maria Giulini (EMI / Warner Classics)

13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:wave:

Let's continue here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.