Daniel Johnston R.I.P.- Austin, TX songwriter*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Very sad indeed. Daniel came on my radar screen in 2004 when Tom Waits covered King Kong. That took me down the rabbit hole. So sad, Rest easy, Daniel. You left, IMO, a legacy...

JoeRockhead likes this.
  2. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident

Any loss of someone who brings joy to others thru the common language of music is another victory for the troublemakers we seem to face in today's world. RIP.

3. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

First time I heard him was his cover of "Unpack Your Adjectives" on School House Rock Rocks!

Didn't know when I saw him it would be the last time. Very grateful that I had the chance to see him at all.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I first "discovered" him via the K. McCarty tribute album, Dead Dog's Eyeball. It was difficult back then to find any of his work, except Fun, which I loved ( and still do)

5. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

So sad. Love how he ran circles around the ever versatile Yo La Tengo:

“Daniel, I better introduce you to this band...”
    “ok, hi band, ready?”
    “Uh..,”
    “Speeding Motorcycle..,”

6. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Peace Daniel. And thank you.

phantomime likes this.
  7. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

58 is way too young. He deserved so much more. May he rest in peace.

Mr. H, vince, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I didn't know much about Daniel until I viewed his documentary (The Devil and Daniel Johnston 2005).............I highly recommend for those who wish to learn more about his musical journey. RIP Daniel.

phantomime, robbroncs and hhjack like this.
  9. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’m listening to 1990 now (it’s all I have of his on CD). This song is particularly beautiful. The cover by Beach House is also worth checking out.

10. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I got into him in junior high and found a lot of his work really strikingly original, lyrically engaging, and dripping with atmosphere with its flaws and hiss, but at the time I wasn't particularly attuned to my own emotions and found it more of a curiosity for the part of my brain that found other "weird pop music" appealing. As I've gotten older and developed my own struggles with deep depression and other non-neurotypical conditions (or at least become more aware of them) much of it has become somewhat harrowing to listen to and despite owning a good 4 or 5 of his albums I haven't touched them recently because I find the catharsis rather frightening... I generally opt for escapism and good feelings with my music selection because it's the easier choice, there are many records I loved earlier in my life when I was less vulnerable that I can no longer bear the thought of listening to. But among all the tragedies of Daniel's life there's a miracle there too, that being the audience his art reached despite everything, and I've only ever grown fonder of him as a person. Against all odds in the indie music community he is undoubtedly an icon, and he's one who wrote a number of songs that have never slipped away to any degree from my brain, so easily sticking and simple in their melody and construction and offering such unique perspective and bold imagery lyrically. Some day when I am brave enough to cry I'm sure I'll find even more in them than their vivid memory reveals in my head, but for now I'll just reflect on the beautiful legacy of what he accomplished and all of the art he inspired

11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

He suffered a great deal with his illness but at least he connected with an audience that could appreciate his unique gifts, and point of view.

He was too young, to be gone.

phantomime likes this.
  12. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

I've always loved this cover version of "True Love Will Find You In The End" by Beck.

GodShifter and Kevin j like this.
  13. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

That guy was great. R.I.P.

14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

He wasn't the best singer. Or the best musician. But he tried to be like his idols like Lennon & McCartney (the Beatles). And he succeeded, in my opinion.

The big lesson to be learned about Daniel was that he did his best with what he had. He had the gift of songwriting and would do anything to get his songs out there. If all he had was a toy organ and a cassette player, he was going to get his songs down. No record deal? Ok, he'd dub cassettes and hand them out to people on the street corner. A master songwriter. He's been on MTV, television commercials, Futurama (and maybe the Simpsons?), has a documentary about his life, and dozens of other respectable musicians have covered his songs. And all because he did his best with what he had. We can all learn something from that.

15. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Sad to hear this.

phantomime likes this.
  16. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Very sorry to hear about this. I'd never heard of him until I moved to Austin in '92. For an artist so 'seemingly amateur' he sure had the respect and support of local musicians of all aptitudes and the musical community at large. Damn, his visual art is iconic in its own right. Many visitors to Austin take home trinkets with his doodles and have no idea who he is.

I didn't realize he was so young. Rest in peace, young man and keep dreaming those beautiful songs.

nodeerforamonth and phantomime like this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP Daniel..

phantomime likes this.
  18. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I'm absolutely heartbroken. I hope Daniel and Mark Linkous reconnect in the afterlife and jam together again.

ChristopherTeuma and robbroncs like this.
  19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

20. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

R.I.P. I didn't realize DJ was eligible to pass away.

vince and phantomime like this.
  21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have not heard of this artist/musician before. I checked out his wiki page to get some info about him. His story brought Wesley Willis to mind as they both suffered from schizophrenia but were still able to entertain people despite their demons. RIP

phantomime likes this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

From one Daniel to another, RIP. The world didn't deserve you.

vince and phantomime like this.
  23. Oh no.....:(

24. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I saw this Nardwuar interview, including a performance:

Very enjoyable

eyeCalypso and nodeerforamonth like this.
  25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I hope that true love found him in the end. RIP.

phantomime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.