DCC Archive Discography

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

I just put up an "unofficial Steve Hoffman" discography:

http://www.swingteam.com/hoffman

Now, I'm not necessarily the most knowledgeable DCC/Hoffman buff on the planet, but I finally got tired of searching throught the semi-dead DCC store and eBay trying to find out what DCC releases exist - so I've decided to try and collect it all in one spot.

I'm sure there are lots of DCC releases missing from the list, and I've barely scratched the surface of Steve's MCA days, so if you care to help out by sending me additions (and corrections!), I'd REALLY appreciate your help.

Anyways, let me know what you think!

jeff

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Great. Some comments, corrections, and additions:

"There are two versions of the Buddy Holly "From the Original Master Tapes" CD. The original pressing is from Japan, and used the correct master tape as prepared by Steve Hoffman. There were later pressings done in the US, however, which used an incorrect LP master tape for the CD. The result is a phasey high-end."

Assuming a "good" version does exist (I have yet to hear it), there are at least *three* versions of this disc. Good, bad w/ count-off on It Doesn't Matter Anymore, and bad w/o count-off. The two bad discs are the same other than the count off and the reversal of stereo channels.

"There have been several cd masterings of Who's Next on MCA, all with the same catalog number. The surefire way to get the Hoffman master is to order the current Canadian budget reissue from HMV.com, catalog number MCABD37217"

Very true, although there's a pop in WGFA that (according to Steve) isn't on the original MCA. Nothing too major, but people like me will still want to track down an original MCA. Also, I believe Steve's version came out in 1986 (or maybe 85), not 1984...

Their 16 Greatest Hits - Actually "16 Of Their Greatest Hits"

Additions:

Bill Haley - FTOMT. MCAD-5539, DIDX-202
    Chuck Berry - Rock 'n Roll Rarities. CHD-92521, JVC-473
    Chuck Berry - More Rock 'n Roll Rarities from the Golden Era of Chess Records. CHD-9190 (that's coming from the All Music Guide - somebody should check it)
    Buddy Holly - For the First Time Anywhere. MCAD-31048
    Steppenwolf - self titled. MCAD-31020. Steve mentioned he did this one...

SinnerSaint likes this.
  3. Holy Zoo

Thanks Luke! I knew you'd have some input ;)

I've added your comments. Let me know if you spot anything else.

Oh - also, do you know offhand if the Chuck Berry cds were released on MCA or Chess? Oh - and do you know the years that the (Berry, Holly, Steppenwolf, Haley) discs were released?

thanks

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve also mastered the Razor & Tie Billy Joe Shaver best of CD, the Razor & Tie 2 CD Merle Haggard set, the Don Covay Razor & Tie CD. You can e-mail me through my profile and I will give you Steve's e-mail address

SinnerSaint likes this.
  5. Matt

Matt New Member

If you want a bit more detail, here's anothing thing about the Canadian "Who's Next" that differs from the original US CD: "The Canadians have 'blacked' around some of the intros and outros, but that's their right." That was Steve's own words in an older post, where he confirmed the Canadian CD as being the one he mastered. There was also some discussion about mastering credit. At first, it was thought to be uncredited, but one person said that he had purchased "Who's Next" in a longbox, and on the box itself, Steve WAS credited for the mastering. Steve then went on to say how he forgot all about the credit on the box, and so forth, but that's basically another little detail one could use to find the original US CD.

P.S. Yeah, that Merle Haggard set is probably the best one to get if you want just one Haggard collection. It's called "The Lonesome Fugitive: The Merle Haggard Anthology (1963-1977)"

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike New Member

Jeff:

Very nice. I appreciate the work you are doing. In case you are not aware, here is a good list of the gold stuff:
    http://pages.prodigy.net/amicus1/rose.htm

Here's a couple Steve did for Razor & Tie that I like:

King Curtis - Instant Soul: The Legendary King Curtis
    Don Covay - Mercy Mercy: The Definitive Don Covay

I saw you asked for year - both of the above were released in 1994.

Mike

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Mike ]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  7. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

The Chuck Berry disc-More Rock'N Roll Rarities has a large CHESS logo on the left-hand side of the CD, but was manufactured in Japan(on mine anyway) for MCA records. CHD-9190 says (on the disc) Reissue Produced And Remixed(?)By Steve Hoffman. Maybe they meant to say remastered?! Nice disc, even if it is only 12 songs! :D

Oh yeah! CHD-9190 is 1986. :rolleyes:

Wolfman Jack's Let's Cruise Vol 1 & 2 was on Big Ear Music/DCC and came out 1998

MORE ADDITIONS:
    1)Rock Of The '70s Volume Five DZS 066 (this is part of a larger series!)(1992)DCC
    2)Footstompin' Oldies (GRZ 011) (Garland)(1987)
    3)Remember When (GRZ 012)(Garland)(1987)

I believe ALL the "Rock Of The '7os" were DZS for catalog prefix!
    Monster Rock'N Roll Show was 1990

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  8. Holy Zoo

Thanks everyone!

Ok.. I think I've got all these updates in. Keep them coming!

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Also on Razor & Tie:

Stratosphere Boogie: The Flaming Guitars of Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant

And at least a couple of Elton John CDs. He said which ones, but that was on the old, deleted forum. I think "Brown Dirt Cowboy" was one of them. Steve?
    http://pages.prodigy.net/amicus1/rose.htm

Be advised there are at least two mistakes on this list: "Number of the Beast" and "1984" have never come out. The former, IIRC, is out the question and the latter is in limbo.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

John Lee Hooker - "Plays and Sings the Blues" - MCA/Chess CH-9199-1 (Mine's an LP)Master Tape Restorartion by Steve Hoffman.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  11. Mike

Mike New Member

Be advised there are at least two mistakes on this list: "Number of the Beast" and "1984" have never come out. The former, IIRC, is out the question and the latter is in limbo.

What is "IIRC"? Also, Ladies of the Canyon was never released. I wish Steve would do Fair Warning by Van Halen. All guitar players know Fair Warning was the pinnacle for EVH. Still mind boggling to this day!

Mike

SinnerSaint likes this.
  12. Holy Zoo

IIRC = if I recall correctly
    IMO = In my opinion
    IMHO = In my humble opinion
    IMNSHO = In my not so humble opinion
    LOL = laugh out loud
    IANAL = I am not a lawyer
    YMMV = your mileage may vary

13. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

In addition to revisions in my above posting, a note to Toga Rock I: The first release of this disc was not Steve's work (the ONE that I have,unfortunately). The one with Twist & Shout and I Fought The Law in STEREO is Steve's product! He recently said this on the board.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. Holy Zoo

Hmm.. Toga Rock not originally mastered by Hoffman?

I guess I really should ask this then: I have been assuming that all product from DCC has been mastered by Steve Hoffman.

Steve: is this a correct assumption?

If not, is there a clear point in time (or a release) that marks when you took over at the mastering helm?

15. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I am not Steve, but the answer is no.

BTW, you can add "From Genesis to Revelation" to your DCC discography.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  16. Holy Zoo

Patrick:

Oh boy! Well then... it'll be interesting to try and track down which ones *aren't* mastered by Sir Hoffman.

Maybe when this is more complete, I'll beg Steve to do a once-through and flag anything that's not his work.

Pat - I've added your updates. Thanks!

17. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Steve Hoffman
    Administrator
    Member # 5
    posted October 02, 2001 09:43 PM
    This was the original quote by Steve, originally posted under the DCC Favorite CDs Heading!

"Actually, I did master Toga Rock I, but only after the original mastering sold about 50,000 units.
    I went back and used stereo versions where monos were used in the earlier version. If you have "I Fought The Law" and "Twist And Shout" in stereo, it's the one I did."

SinnerSaint likes this.
  18. Holy Zoo

Ok.. second data-mining question:

Are all the gold & LP releases done by Steve?

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Steve did Razor and Tie's George Jones comp, "She Thinks I Still Care: The George Jones Collection (The United Artists Years)." He also did "Double Trouble", a joint Jones/Johnny Paycheck album also issued on Razor and Tie. Razor and Tie put out quite a few George Jones titles, many of them now out of print, and I suspect Steve may have mastered some or perhaps even all of them. The above two are the only ones I know for certain, though.

CDNow lists the credits for most albums, so if you do a search of Steve's name at their site you can get a decent list of in-print things that's he's credited with.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Oh, and I'm surprised no one has pointed out yet you're also missing these:
    The Who: Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy (all CD versions, as far as we know), Who's Missing (CD and LP) and Two's Missing (LP version only). It's a huge (but exceedingly worthwhile) task you've taken on here.

Dave and SinnerSaint like this.
  21. Holy Zoo

Ok... got 'em, along with the George Jones Razor & Tie reissues. Thanks!

<STRONG>
    I find this kinda thing very satisfying, mainly because most the hard work happens quickly, and then it'll be stable for long periods of time.

22. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Steve also mastered (and, according to the credits, provided A&R assistance for) the 2-CD Beach Boys compilation put out by Razor & Tie.

The complete information is:

The Beach Boys, GREATEST HITS, Razor & Tie 72438-19226-2-0 (2 CDs) -- released 1997 -- credit is: "A&R Assistance/Mastering: Steve Hoffman"

And if you really want to be complete, I guess you ought to list the 2-CD set of The Beach Boys' Hite Morgan recordings that I was putting out on my own label at the end of last year until The Beach Boys sued Deck Records, long-time "owner" and licensor of the recordings, challenging their claim of ownership. In the wake of the lawsuit, no copies got out, but if legal clearance is ever obtained, the package is ready to go.

The complete information on that set is:

The Beach Boys, FIRST WAVE: THE COMPLETE HITE MORGAN SESSIONS, Surf's Up! Records CD 1001/2 (2 CDs) -- December 2000 (unreleased) -- credit is: "Assembly, editing and mastering by Steve Hoffman"

Brad

SinnerSaint likes this.
  23. Holy Zoo

Brad: got 'em! Thanks,

jeff

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Where *IS* my mind?!

Yeah, the LP of Two's Missing sounds quite a bit better than the CD...

25. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Big oops for me...was not mentioning:

Vintage Music Volume 1&2 MCA(MCAD-5777)
    Vintage Music Volume 3&4 (MCAD-5778)
    Vintage Music Volume 5&6 (MCAD-5804)
    Vintage Music Volume 7&8 (MCAD-5805)
    Vintage Music Volume 9&10 (MCAD-5806)
    All from 1986, Compiled And Remastered by Steve Hoffman
    These made Steve a "Household Name" for me!

*Steve did not master Vols 11-20 (which I also have...they're good...but Stereo/Mono notations on songs are inaccurate in many cases!)
    :eek:

SinnerSaint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.