Floyd-Wish You Were Here 2 Track

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by dbz, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead. Thread Starter

2. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Considering the last 2 went for around double that price that is one good deal Darren. I doubt it will last long, good luck.

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Looks great, D.

If I didn't have one (or two!) I'd be all over it. :thumbsup:

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Someone snatched it with the BIN. It wasn't me though....:sigh:

5. rburly

Congrats Darren!

6. dbz

Thanks guys-I tried to price it fairly. Paul, it was the USA 2 track hence the price was err..."modest"

7. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

So the US two-track lists 5 tracks on the CD, but it's actually just two tracks?

8. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Yep!

[​IMG]

9. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

Hey Darren, what you gonna do with the other 4?

10. dbz

If the prices keep rising.....retire:righton: (I wish)

11. dbz

12. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Very interesting, I did not know that. Is there any way to tell which is the two track from simply looking at the outer packaging? I was looking at the auction photos and comparing them to my CBS WYWH (I'm not sure what I have...it looks like this one, except it has the little black circle/triangle on the disc like this. It does say DIDP 050004 on the disc). They look really similar; I'm supposing the only difference would be the lack of "Now Made In The U.S.A." on the back?

The Japan for USA looks so "normal", I expect it to go unnoticed and show up in the used bins at a local record store. I got a Japan for USA Obscured by Clouds at Amoeba here in SF for like $6.99, I wonder if I could find a two track WYWH for that price :angel:

13. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

I'm sure KeithH or dbz knows, but I don't think there's a way to be absolutely sure by looking at the outer packaging. All I can say is the smooth-sided case is never a bad thing, and the lack of "Now Made in the USA" is a good sign. I think part of what makes this one fun is that it seems like it could slip by the store workers, since it doesn't look special in any way. I've given up hope of trying to find DCC/MFSL stuff in stores, as the gold disc sticks out like a sore thumb. I mean, if you were to sell the 2 track to Wherehouse, they would give you $5 for it! It just makes the search a lot more fun, knowing that they are out there. Nice score on the Obscured by Clouds!

14. dbz

Yep- A.G. is right-some of these get picked up for $10. there is the "other japanese pressing". This is a DENON manufactured CD also made in Japan, but it has the 5 tracks. The song titles are also laid out of the CD face differently (spread out across the face rather than listed downwards-there are some photos on the forum) IIRC. (If I'm wrong someone who's an expert will correct me-I don't know much about the early CBS cds-I'm in Europe)

You need to have no "Now Made in USA"-you need Tokyo Japan on the back-usually a smooth sided CD case and of course, the matrix needs to be 35DP-4 around the spindle hole. The other way is to just pop in the CD player and see that it only has 2 tracks.

If you can't see/do any of this, I reckon there are people on this forum who could tell you the 2 track just by playing it blindfolded.:D

The other one looks like this..

15. rburly

Of course being able to see the matrix is the best way to check for a 35DP4 2-track.

With the one that Darren recently bought and sold, I asked the seller what was on the spine of the CD case. (I could see the white "Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here" in red on a white background) He told me it said "CK 33453" and I immediately knew it was a Japan for US 35DP4 2-track.

The Japan for Japan 35DP4 has a black spine (background) with a red dot, followed by "35DP 4 Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here" in white on the black background. If you see this, you have a Japan for Japan 35DP4 2-track PF - Wish You Were Here, that, as Darren says, I could listen to blind folded and pick out of any other recording. It's soooo smooth!

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Japan for USA Obscured by Clouds must be fairly rare. I never see the Japan for Japan version either.

17. dbz

Yep-thats a tough one. I don't think Obscured CP32 sold a lot. That one and Saucerful take a while and a few $$ to obtain in good condition and with OBI's. I think most of these are at the $100+ with OBI now.:cry:

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You have to look at the disc. The only way to tell for sure is to look at the matrix code. If the matrix code has "35DP-4", you're good. If not, you have to keep looking.

I have a first U.S. DADC plant pressing without "Now Made In The U.S.A." on the back insert. It has "DIDP-50004" in the matrix code, and it's the five-track mastering.

19. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

One offer rejected so far.

EDIT: Oops. The "Best Offer" feature has been removed.

21. dbz

Surfing in December..I don't know, it's ok for some:sigh: . Good luck with the sale Christian and have a great Christmas:righton:

22. He's in NZ, so it's summer right now down there.

23. dbz

Roland, I know, thats my point..he should be here in England with the fog and the rain, suffering like the rest of us! Jealous?..who me:agree:

24. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

Keith, I removed the "Best Offer" because I get sick of people saying there best offer is 70 pounds. That is just ridiculous! :shake:

Don't worry Darren, I will be thinking of you whilst having my BBQ'ed Xmas lunch :D. Thanks for the wishes.

I must say it doesn't feel like Xmas without the cold, after the 10 or so years I spent in London. :confused:

25. dbz

You see Christian-You Are Missing it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.