Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Whatever they put out Sony will counter with their own compilation(s).

2. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

This might be a good thing for new fans or casual consumer's but, for hardcore collectors misery.

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Stories of Mercer's dark side are notorious and fueled by alcohol. I suspect the Beatles or the Beach Boys were way down on the list of regrets.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'd be willing, with an open mind, to give him a whack at Ring-a-Ding Ding, and I'm not kidding. Nothing has worked so far; may as well...

In an odd way, Norberg and Putnam (who didn't record RADD, but was the studio's guiding force) are kind of yin and yang to each other in their willingness to throw a kitchen sink or two into a project.

rangerjohn likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Mr. S will get "red hot" around mid-2015 with all the centennial stuff being pushed. After that it is very well he could be moved a way down that totem pole if sales don't remain what they deem as "good".

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

No one really, truly cares about the hardcore collector anymore.

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I agree. I'm doubtful that we're going to see many more reissues, it'll be compilations from here on out.

It's a pity because we've never had mono reissues of the Capitol albums and the recent Reprise box set never made it to the US. Sony has pretty much dried up, and they were doing some of the best stuff.

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Sony's focusing recently on megaboxes suggest that putting all of their holdings,Harry James,Dorsey,Columbia, et al,could see light of day.Once again,2015 is the year to do this,not now.And since the 100th falls in Dec.,in time for gift giving,that would seem the best time.

DLant likes this.
  9. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Maybe I'm the oddball out here, but I am really excited for the opportunity that could possibly come out of this new arrangement. That being said, I'm also a tad nervous about MoFi completing their run of the Sinatra/Capitol SACDs.

There are some things I've always been wishing for:

A complete Reprise singles collection (much like the Capitol one, minus Bob-o Norberg's touch)

An all inclusive Capitol box set (concept albums, movie soundtracks, rarities, etc.)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------
    Aside from this great body of work, this IS about the money.

11. serge

serge Forum Resident

I don't understand what this changes? I mean it may mean more career encompassing compilations but does anyone care about that?

kennyluc1 likes this.
  12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------
    Could is a great operative word, and none of us are out a dime, yet, so.....just have to wait until 2014 and 2015 and see what comes of it. Who they pick for re-mastering, and for lps pressing will tell us all we need to know, ya think? There are Sinatra experts here to lead the way.

You kids outside the candy store...your nose up to the glass, yet?

13. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

The problem, seems to me, (my opinion only) is the current generation will only buy FS through commercials. The powers that be are pinning all releases to draw in the current and next generation of music buyers.
    So rarities are out the window, interesting compilations are out the window. It will remain the same 10 or 15 most popular songs. How many times am I required to buy N.Y., N.Y. to feel, that as a fan I am still a part of
    Sinatra's world.

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Please no more "Best of" or "Love Songs" compilations. Let MFSL complete the rest of the Capitol albums! For 2015 two box sets would be the way to go:
    Sinatra (1939-1952): The Early Years & Columbia Years >SONY<
    Sinatra (1953-1994): The Capitol & Reprise Years >UMG<

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Sony already put out that big "complete" Sinatra set back in the early '90s. I read somewhere around here (I think) that there are no plans for Sony to go back and do fresh transfers of all of Sinatra's Columbia-era tracks. This probably means that we're stuck with those '90s masters no matter what.

I have the Concepts and Complete Reprise Studio Recordings boxes from the '90s. They're not the greatest SQ-wise, but I don't find them utterly repulsive, either. As much as I would like a "properly" mastered set of the Capitol and Reprise years, I won't be devastated if that doesn't happen.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

This is incorrect. Chuck Granata has reported that Sony HAS done fresh transfers of the complete Sinatra Columbia/Victor catalog (using newer technology equipment) since the 1993 box set. Some tracks have appeared on later compilations (e.g. A VOICE IN TIME) with remarkably better sound quality. Since the earlier box set has been out of print for quite awhile, I'd say the time is ripe for a complete new Sony makeover by 2015.

Sony also controls a large amount of radio material which never made it into an earlier announced-but-unreleased box set. That too would make a nice 100th birthday present.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    rangerjohn, paulmock and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Sometimes I love being proven wrong.
    :righton:

rangerjohn and Bob F like this.
  18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Funny, I just happened to be in a "Barnes and Noble" the other day (Whew, that music section has truly become sad) and when I looked at the Sinatra section, just to see what they had, it was all of those horrible Concord reissues and a few of those newer (and worthless, in my opinion) compilations. My biggest problem with seeing these, is that any new, possibly younger fans and even older fans trying to just buy a Sinatra CD, are being subjected to this "manipulated", "remixed", "repackaged" version of what "Frank's kids and their business associates" all want us to accept and I don't care for it. Sure, they are going to keep releasing new comps, because that is where the money is, but when reissuing the old albums, I just wish that they would do it right, instead of trying to "remix" or somehow "alter" his catalog. Those Mobile Fidelity SACD's are the RIGHT thing for them to be doing, the rest has been (if you'll please pardon my language), one giant clusterf#$k at best!

19. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Along with the radio material SONY has the Hollywood Bowl concerts. It's time they were released. Not to mention the TBPF shows that could be released by Universal/Capitol.

Bob F likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh! Those TBPF recordings are priceless! It is too bad they have yet to be decently cleaned up. I pray it is not too late and that the tapes have not been damaged by time or neglect.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, but let's pray it is not a new box set botch-job like the Tony Bennett set was. I am also not a fan of those cardboard "mini-LP" sleeves. But I will bet that IF a new Columbia years project is released it will a carbon copy of their recent box sets design.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So lets be honest...is this going to endanger the finishing of the MFSL titles?

Or we just dont know?

Id hate to even imagine after getting so close that we wouldnt see Wee Small Hours, Songs For Swinging, Come Fly, Swingin Affair be put out by MFSL ... Dont even want to think about it.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  23. MLutthans

I know what TB is. What's TBPF?

24. wave

wave Forum Resident

The "To Be Perfectly Frank" small-combo radio series from the 50's. Here's All of Me.

25. MLutthans

Oh, yeah. I've got those, and they are very good, indeed. Thanks for clarifying, Wave.