Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'm just hoping that the contract with MFSL was signed before the merger if it wasn't then I can see the MFSL deal being
    cancelled it's already gone very quiet since the release of 'Swingin' Session'

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I couldn't agree more. I mean, I can even forgive and forget about the long wait, but dear god, just gimme the rest of the MFSLs.

3. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

I am only speculating but from reading the press release why would they want MoFi product to compete with their own projects and plans for future releases?

mpayan likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

WHY, is not the question, the answer is they signed some sort of deal with MOFI and they better honor it or they'll have more than MOFI after them, as I can already feel the group of forum fans here who are with me regarding these being completed and who might be ready to start a protest, if they're not! :D

Sinatra SACD's by Mobile Fidelity is "serious business" for the real fans!

MarkusGermany likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This is exactly what ran through my thoughts.

I sincerely hope they realize that the MFSL reissues would not really compete with them. Its such a small audience that buy the much more expensive audiophile product in comparison with Mr S's huge fan base that simply will by downloads or redbook cds for much cheaper. I dont think that it would make even the slightest dent in the new mergers profits to allow these to be done.

When and if the MFSL all come out the general public who buy Frank Sinatra albums are going to see the prices (if MFSL comes on the average publics radar at all- which I doubt in most cases it even does) and most likey as they always have done say "No way am I spending 25 bucks on a "gold plated cd" and pass.

In conclusion, I cant see that when the merger brings a new product of remasters or whatever that joe publics going to buy MFSL over the much cheaper and more easily available remaster or merger product whatever that might be. Competition from a small audiophile company I hope is realized by those who make such decisions as not a signifigant threat.

Here praying and hoping they realize this and that contracts have been signed to allow the MFSL's to go through.

Bob F likes this.
  6. Chris C

Has Steve Hoffman ever chimed in on if there is a way to get the "Ring-a-Ding-Ding" album to come to life? There must be some sort of remix or EQ that could be done to make this fairly great album actually sound good?

7. Chris C

Late edit: And by "remix", I don't mean to give it a Larry Walsh remix, where he adds or subtracts actual elements of the original mix, but rather, to make it just "sound good"!

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Also speculating, but I don't think "they" consider MoFi (or any audiophile label) to be competition. It's my impression that EMI and FSE had farmed out vinyl and SACD releases to MFSL because the major labels had no desire to do them. $30 issues do not appeal to the mass marketplace.

Nancy Sinatra has reported that POINT OF NO RETURN would be "next up" for MoFi release. I think that was after the UMG takeover of EMI. I'm hopeful that the Capitol reissues, which occupied such a prominent place in MFSL's advertising one year ago, are still in the works.

mpayan likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks Bob. "Nancy Sinatra has reported that POINT OF NO RETURN would be "next up" for MoFi release. I think that was after the UMG takeover of EMI."

That word "after" brings a more positive light to calm the fears.

And I agree, I cant see the big guys thinking mfsl would be a threat.

10. Bob F

I just double-checked to be sure. Nancy's post was dated June 26, 2013. UMG's acquisition of EMI was completed nine months earlier, September 28, 2012.

This of course proves nothing, as it's certainly possible that something changed since June of this year leading up to the recent FSE-UMG licensing announcement. However, the deal with MFSL was probably not finalized until after UMG's takeover of EMI. I wouldn't abandon hope just yet...

mpayan likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

From what Ive read in the archives, yes there is something that can be done. There was a device used that added a boost to the 1k area of the Ring A Ding Ding album . The "Ampex Mastering Equalization" contributed to the sound it has. Decoded, apparently, the three tracks sound great. Like the Capitol recordings do. Apparently Steve did much to fix the issues and it turned out great. Unfortunately we will probably never hear it. Ive heard an outtake grey area cd and it is pretty amazing as to what it *could* sound like.

This gives an idea especially the second attempt after the 3 minute mark

Also..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dYrzv0EsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love the album. Sure would be nice to hear it in all its glory.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks again Bob, we will just have high hopes :)

13. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The take-over by Universal is one thing but they have now inaugurated the "Signature Sinatra" imprint. Perhaps the future Mofi releases will bear the "Signature Sinatra" imprint.

However if they are planning "Deluxe Editions" of the Capitol albums wouldn't they have to compete with Mofi versions?

14. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Probably not, the Sinatra nuts would likely purchase BOTH!

DLant likes this.
  15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Chris, I don't own every Sinatra remix that Larry Walsh has done, so maybe I'm just missing something, but when has Larry remixed something in that way? Can you clarify what you are referencing? Thanks.

16. Chris C

Oh, Larry added a bunch of Sinatra "isms" (ala "doo bee doo" type stuff) to many of the tracks on that Complete Sinatra/Jobim album, thus changing what we are all so used to hearing. One song in particular that has this is "Baubles, Bangles and Beads".

17. Chris C

Yeah, I've got the outtakes boot of "Ring-a-Ding-Ding" and it's night and day in sound, for the most part, versus the actually released album and CD's.

18. MLutthans

No, that's not accurate. These are the changes (accidents, I would say) on the Concord Sinatra/Jobim CD:

19. Chris C

Yeah, well things added and taken away, as was expertly explained by you in that earlier post, was what I meant. I, for one, didn't need him doing those things to those songs and it kind of changes their history, of which, Frank approved of when he was alive.

20. MLutthans

I'm willing to cut Larry a pretty big chunk of slack on that Jobim stuff. I mean....SOMEBODY should have caught that there were errors (missed edits) in there, but my guess is that Larry received a bunch of reels (or transfers) and was hired to mix them. The fact that the original was chock full o'edits is an unfortunate situation, that's for sure!

21. MLutthans

Here's what floored me about that Sinatra/Jobim thing. Anybody who reads my blather knows that I'm not all that well versed in the Reprise stuff (although I've had the Jobim album on CD for years, so it's kind of an exception). I put that CD in the player in the car when I left Borders, and I suspected there were missed edits right off the bat, and posted about it when I got home from work, May 4. Now if I, some doofus fanboy in Seattle, knew that, how did it make it downstream and get released? Larry remixed those tapes to order, handed them off to somebody, and a whole lotta somebodies approved the thing for release, either without noticing or without caring that there were differences/imperfections due to missed edits. (Again, I don't blame Larry Walsh for this. Assumedly, he was hired to remix a set of tracks, which he did.)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    DJ WILBUR, rangerjohn, DLant and 2 others like this.
  22. AJH

AJH Senior Member

When the Concord discs were released, I believe most of the discussion on this board never blamed Larry for the problems with the CD's he worked on. Personally, I believe Larry is an excellent engineer. On the Concord discs he engineered, he was probably doing exactly what he was told to do. If he was left on his own, the Concord CD's probably would have turned-out much better. Just my opinion.

AJH

23. Chris C

Before the Concord reissues, Larry was one of the great guys working on Sinatra reissues, in my opinion. It was without a doubt, Larry, who recovered the sound for us, on many of the previous Bob Norberg disasters. I guess that I didn't directly mean to blame Larry alone for the Sinatra/Jobim issues, but, it's his name that has been on these Concord releases and if others are making the call to change the history of these old Reprise recordings, then I wonder why he stayed on with the projects, especially after all of the great work that he did on the Capitol CD's?

24. Bob F

You realize, of course, that Larry Walsh's work came first, beginning about 1987. The Norberg remasters were done a decade later. By that time, Larry had left Capitol.

Umm... because he was paid? :)

Malina likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Youre welcome :)

Chris C likes this.