Grateful Dead album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jacksondownunda, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shakedown Street is a strange attempt at sounding modern in the late 70s. Apart from "Fire On The Mountain" and maybe "From The Heart Of Me", this is forgetable stuff. I do like 1978 live Dead though, especially Closing Of Winterland.

2. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I like the stuff from the sessions where Lowell George plays slide on Good Lovin' and I Need A Miracle better than the final product...

3. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rocking The Cradle; Egypt '78

And finally, the Egypt trip (emphasis on both Egypt and “trip”). Phil Lesh claimed he’d wanted to play the Pyramids since he was a little boy. It might’ve been a fleeting hallucination in their Anthem days, upgraded to a pipe dream in their “places of power” studies in the early ‘70s. Ken Kesey had done a Rolling Stone assignment to Cairo in October ’74 to search for the great lost buried library, and that reconnaissance would’ve helped immensely. Apparently it was manager Richard Loren’s holiday that convinced them that such a venture was logistically feasible. Both government’s endorsements and approvals were essential so red tape started in Feb-Mar ’77 when Terrapin Station was being recorded. There were Egyptian right-wingers who felt visiting rock ‘n rollers may be a desecration, but this could be deflected with concert proceeds donated to Madame Sadat’s favorite charities. The last hurdle required Phil Lesh, and managers Loren and Alan Trist properly suited to meet with Egypt’s minister of culture, who asked this most insightful question; “Have you found that your music changes when you play different places?”. Lesh answered the affirmative, and the go-ahead was granted.

There are several eyewitness interviews and stories available. This website link (run by pal Dave) features photos and a particularly lovely three-part fan reminisce of the quickly planned trip over, dealing with culture-shock and beggars, crossing paths with Dead family (Donna at the bazaar, Lesh and Weir jogging), after midnight sound-check and the birth of Jerry’s “Ollin Arageed” guitar passage, the gigs themselves and Jerry chatting with fans for feedback, further Egypt sightseeing and a dozen Deadheads at the top of the Great Pyramid at dawn, etc...Wrap your head around it; you’ll get the pictures with the story;

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/egyptmenu.htm

Roadie Bob Nichols came as a guest of Bear and wrote “Truckin’ With The Grateful Dead To Egypt” (he drew out astrological charts there for the band, noting the impending lunar eclipse). Kesey and Pranksters including Mountain Girl, musician David Frieberg, and high-profile DeadHead basketballer Bill Walton came too on the chartered flight. The band had originally approached promoter Bill Graham to arrange the trip, but it was so far outside his experience (and credulity) that he refused. The Dead organization did it themselves and Graham was invited along as a guest. Hank Harrison came down from teaching in Europe and claims he had trouble finding dope.

Much of the recording and sound equipment came from The Who (who’d VERY recently lost Keith Moon). I think someone on SHF humorously described the venue as “a giant cat box” (we’d LOVE to hear from anybody that was there)! Hand-trucks are useless in sand, so large cases were tumbled or dragged into place. The desert heat was intense, testing the equipment and workers, and putting the essential piano out-of-tune. Flying insects were attracted to the stage lights but the bats swarmed in to control them. At one point over the 3 days of gigs, a valiant attempt was made to feed cables to a speaker and mic inside a pyramid gallery to use as an echo chamber, but local cable and connections were cheap and it failed.

Folding seats were set up at the venue and roughly 700 rather inexpensive tickets were sold to DeadHeads, well heeled locals and ex-pats (one side of the venue was open, so locals just wandered in). Mickey Hart invited Nubian friend Hamza El-Din who in turn invited his pals in for the Egyptian sing-along which was a cross-culture musical feature of the shows. Hamza arrived two weeks early and made a few live and TV appearances in Giza explaining the GD’s peaceful culture-bridging intentions. “Cultural-exchange” included visits to local homes and media, but more amusingly also included hashish smoking groups and the dispensing of doses to locals from the ever-present Visine bottles. Prankster George Walker planted the GD lightning bolt flag on top of the Great Pyramid. Jerry looked like the Sphinx in sunglasses.

Which brings us to the music, of course. I read somewhere the interesting rumor that the GD country-western tunes were “ill-received”. I’m not sure if they’re referring to the DeadHeads or Egyptians, but it would make sense if it was the latter as their own musical heritage contains complex rhythms and tones quite different to our own. When I first heard of the Egypt gigs (shortly after they’d actually occurred) my imagination went into overdrive, as did many others. In my fantasy wish-list, they’d prepared homage to the pyramids with the suite from “Anthem Of The Sun” (Ra), run through “Terrapin” highlights, séanced the pharaohs with an exploratory “Dark Star”, and philosophized Middle East peace with “Blues For Allah”. However, in reality the setlists were far more mundane. (That’s an endearing thing about the GD; they stamp the occasion the way it plays.) Word soon filtered out that the album which was intended to pay for the trip was not going to happen as it was felt they hadn’t played well, Keith’s piano was out of tune, Lesh was drunk, etc. Eventually, multi-generational cassette tapes among traders featured performances sounding a bit lumpy and dumpy. However, IMHO that’s only half true. Ideally, a live album released in ’78 would’ve been expected to be an idealized great GD show of that era. There are plenty of other shows from elsewhere that year that would have made a good “Live in Anytown” album. This Egypt musical performance was quite unique by default, and therefore not representative of that year in general. First, make no mistake, this was a full-blown TEST surrounded by a live audience, out in the open on foreign soil in one of the most taxing and exotic locations on the planet (Pink Floyd played under controlled filming conditions in front of a long dead audience at Pompeii). There are good and great sounding well-played GD shows, and there are also the “lumpy” (changing dynamics, asymmetrical playing) ones. These lumpy ones intrigue me because there are often unique things happening in them upon close listen in high-fidelity. “Ollin Arageed”, first of all, is an Egyptian tune (either wedding song or nursery rhyme I’m told) in a very long exotic beat pattern played by a group of Egyptians with no understanding of mic technique. Jerry and the band weave a very long melodic guitar phrase through it, conceived at the sound check and played each night. The night on this archive album segues into “Fire On The Mountain”. Initially it sounds rough, but listen carefully to all the curiously shaped “holes” and panes of sound amongst the notes and beats, and Weir’s wide swatches of slide sound. It’s very impressionistic; they’re buzzed and reacting strongly to their environment;…they’re “Grateful Dead”-ing. It’s worth remembering too that this was played at high decibels on mostly borrowed PA equipment, from rock towards sand. There’s a lunar eclipse occurring over their shoulders. On the town side the populace is beating pots and pans to bring back the moon, and on the side open to vast endless desert there are Bedouins are sitting on camels checking it out. The Pranksters commandeered the mics at one point, taunting the audience with the beggar’s “Baksheesh” (cries for spare change)! The band might meanwhile have been pondering the surreal time/space distance between this and the Muir Beach Acid Test in ’65. Was this gig EVER going to sound “normal” on tape? I think not.

At the end of the gigs, Bill Graham sprang for a tent party in the desert and horses were raced in the night. Some of the group continued by boat up the Nile to sightseeing in Luxor, while Mickey and a crew made field recordings that later appeared as Rykodisc’s “Music Of Upper & Lower Egypt”.

The Egyptians and Israelis governments had thousands of miles away been simultaneously hammering out the Camp David Peace Accords, and the GD had meanwhile lovingly and peacefully interacted and entertained the people of Giza. After their return to California, the Egyptian ambassador to America sent GD a congratulatory telegram lauding a unique chapter in Egyptian-American friendship. No matter what the judgment of the music was at the time, the experience for the band (and publicity generated) was profound, and the caper pretty much sealed Grateful Dead’s “legendary” status, as if that could ever be questioned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From deaddisc.com;

Rocking The Cradle: Egypt 1978
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : Sept 2008
    Rhino

A two CD / 1 DVD release of live music from the September 15 & 16, 1978 shows at the Gizah Sound and Light Theater, Cairo, Egypt. A bonus CD of additional music from the Egypt shows was distributed with pre-ordered copies of Rocking The Cradle.

Tracks

CD 1;
    • Jack Straw
    • Row Jimmy
    • New, Minglewood Blues
    • Candyman
    • Looks Like Rain
    • Stagger Lee
    • I Need A Miracle
    • It's All Over Now
    • Deal

CD 2;
    • Ollin Arageed
    • Fire On The Mountain
    • Iko Iko
    • Shakedown Street
    • Drums
    • Space
    • Truckin'
    • Stella Blue
    • Around And Around

DVD;
    • Bertha
    • Good Lovin'
    • Row Jimmy
    • New, Minglewood Blues
    • Candyman
    • Looks Like Rain
    • Deal
    • Ollin Arageed
    • Fire On The Mountain
    • Iko Iko
    • I Need A Miracle
    • It's All Over Now
    • Truckin'
    • Featurette: The Vacation Tapes

Bonus CD included with early copies ordered from dead.net;
    • Bertha
    • Good Lovin'
    • El Paso
    • Ramble On Rose
    • Estimated Prophet
    • Eyes Of The World
    • Terrapin Station
    • Sugar Magnolia

Musicians
    • Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
    • Donna Jean Godchaux - vocals
    • Keith Godchaux - keyboards
    • Mickey Hart - drums
    • Bill Kreutzmann - drums
    • Phil Lesh - electric bass, vocals
    • Bob Weir - rhythm guitar, vocals

Special guests
    • Hamza El Din
    • Nubian Youth Choir

Credits
    • Executive producer – Richard Loren
    • Stage production – Ramrod, Steve Parish, John Hagen, Bill Candelario, Robbie Taylor, Brett Cohen, Harry Popick, Jeffrey Boden, John Cutler
    • Concert sound – Dan Healy
    • Sound recording – John Kahn, Betty Cantor-Jackson, Bob Matthews
    • PA system and recording equipment provided by The Who
    • Lighting director – Candace Brightman
    • Video documentary – Richard Loren
    • Travel director – Randy Sarti
    • Special thanks – AbdulAtti, Joe & Lois Malone, Jonathan Wallace, Jehane Hussain, Blaze, Eddie Washington, Sue Stephens, Egyptian Department of Antiquities, the US State Department
    • Egypt ’78 tour, concerts and documentary video conceived by Richard Loren
    • Realization of the Egypt concerts by Richard Loren, Alan Trist, Phil Lesh
    • Cross-cultural performance elements (Hamza El Din & Nubian Youth Choir) conceived by Mickey Hart
    • Dedicated to the memory of Jerry Garcia, Keith Godchaux, John Kahn, Hamza El Din, Lawrence “Ramrod” Shurtliff, Goldie Rush, Ken Kesey, Alton Kelley, Bill Graham, Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin
    • Compilation producer – David Lemieux
    • Stereo & 5.1 mix – Jeffrey Norman at Garage Audio
    • Concert video – Gary Biddle
    • Concert video post production at Video Arts, San Francisco
    • Concert video mastering – David Glasser at Airshow Mastering
    • CD mastering – Jeffrey Norman
    • Audio restoration – Jamie Howarth/Plangent Processes
    • Audiovisual research – Mike Johnson
    • Archival research – Eileen Law/Grateful Dead Archives
    • Cover art – Kelley
    • Art direction – Steve Vance, Scott Webber
    • Package design – Steve Vance
    • Pop-up art – Scott McDougall
    • Photography – Adrian Boot, Patti Healy
    • Background illustration – Stanley Mouse
    • Booklet essay - Alan Trist
    • Project assistance – Jimmy Edwards, Gregg Goldman, Alan Trist, Mike Engstrom, Matt Abels, Scott Webber, Sophia Fields, Dave May, Reggie Collins, Sheryl Farber, Lyn Fey, Karen Weinberger
    • Special thanks – Mickey Hart, Bob Weir, Dennis McNally, Gary Biddle, Steve Jarvis, David Denny, John Cutler, Tom Flye, Robert Gatley, Dave Glasser, Cameron Sears, Mike McGinn, David O. Weissman, Chis Shelley, Uriah Lovelycolors, Bob Johns, Simon Pargeter, Steffen Frech, Faye Kesey, Shannon Kesey, Jan Simmons, Tim Jorstad, Nancy Mallonee
    • The Vacation Tapes produced by Richard Loren & Alan Trist
    • Directed by Richard Loren
    • Edited by Alex Bushe

Notes
    Jack Straw and Stagger Lee on CD 1 are from the September 15, 1978 show.
    All other tracks on CD1, CD 2 and the DVD are from the September 16, 1978 show.
    The tracks on the bonus CD are from the following shows;
    • Bertha - September 16, 1978
    • Good Lovin' - September 16, 1978
    • El Paso - September 16, 1978
    • Ramble On Rose - September 16, 1978
    • Estimated Prophet - September 15, 1978
    • Eyes Of The World - September 15, 1978
    • Terrapin Station - September 15, 1978
    • Sugar Magnolia - September 15, 1978

Attached Files:

4. jacksondownunda

RT1.4 From Egypt With Love tour, The Closing Of Winterland

Back States-side, the band finished Shakedown Street and commenced national touring. The national tour billed as “From Egypt With Love” ran sporadically through to New Year’s. We attended the 12/30/78 gig at UCLA, featuring crisp, tight, and melodic playing and new album tunes. The GD normally played against very dark stage backdrops, but that night we were treated to a night-long slide show of their holiday snaps in every imaginable shade of sandstone. It really was like a very large family gathering, grabbing space on the living room floor, watching both concert and private shots of “what yer uncles got up to on vacation”. The Egypt trip became a bit more real when they cracked out a surprise souvenir; Hamza El-Din and a local Sufi Choir (pictured) playing the tasty “Ollin Arageed” with a local Sufi choir in robes (pictured).

Rumor has it that the band caught a very delayed flight back to the Bay that night/morning, leaving them a little tired for the next evening’s New Year’s show. The gig featured the NRPS, and Blues Brothers featuring Dan Akroyd (with his cubistic NYE countdown) and John Belushi with several of their SNL pals in tow.

The GD gig itself has inspired moments as well as tired moments, and several guests including Quicksilver’s John Cippolina (pictured). Set 1 has a doozy of an opening medley and the “Sunshine Day Dream” coda was cute. It was great to hear “Dark Star” in the third set finally return to put the old building to rest (“Dark Star” would’ve been handy in Egypt!), and I love the poignant moment when “The Other One” gallops off into time as “Dark Star” seamlessly glides back in for one last pass. Despite some flaws, this all-nighter is truly an epic setlist in the annals of Dead-dom.

Also worth noting from this era is a one-off impromptu acoustic set in November with Bob, Jerry, Bill and Mickey from the Rambler Room, Loyola College, Chicago billed as Bob Weir & Friends (pictured). It probably didn’t mean much at the time, but GD had a habit of tucking things away for future reference.

Any love here for these releases?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From deaddisc.com;

Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 4: Winterland 1978
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : 2008
    Grateful Dead / Rhino

A two CD release of live music from the Grateful Dead shows at Winterland on October 21 and 22, 1978. A third bonus CD, with music from the shows on October 17 and 21, 1978, was included with early copies of this release. The October 1978 Winterland shows were billed as “From Egypt With Love”.

Tracks

Disc 1: October 21, 1978;
    • Sugaree
    • Passenger
    • Stagger Lee
    • I Need A Miracle
    • Got My Mojo Working >
    • The Other One >
    • Stella Blue >
    • Sugar Magnolia
    • US Blues

Disc 2: October 22, 1978;
    • Ollin Arageed>
    • Deal
    • Peggy-O
    • Jack Straw
    • Scarlet Begonias >
    • Fire On The Mountain
    • Not Fade Away >
    • Goin’ Down The Road Feelin’ Bad

Bonus CD included with early copies;
    • Bertha >
    • Good Lovin’ >
    • Estimated Prophet >
    • He's Gone
    • If I Had The World To Give >
    • Around and Around

Musicians
    • Jerry Garcia - lead guitar, vocals
    • Keith Godchaux - keyboards
    • Mickey Hart - drums
    • Phil Lesh - electric bass

Guests;
    • Hamza El Din – percussion (on Ollin Arageed)
    • Lee Oskar – harmonica (on Got My Mojo Working)
    • John Cipollina – guitar (on Not Fade Away)

Credits
    • Producer – Grateful Dead
    • Compilation producer – David Lemieux, Blair Jackson
    • Recording – Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Cover art – Scott McDougall
    • Photos – Ed Perlstein
    • Package design – Steve Vance
    • Booklet notes – Blair Jackson

Notes
    All tracks on disc 1 were recorded live on October 21, 1978 at Winterland, San Francisco.
    All tracks on disc 2 were recorded live on October 22, 1978 at Winterland, San Francisco.

• Bertha - October 21, 1978, Winterland
    • Good Lovin - October 21, 1978, Winterland
    • Estimated Prophet - October 21, 1978, Winterland
    • He's Gone - October 21, 1978, Winterland
    • If I Had The World To Give - October 17, 1978, Winterland
    • Around and Around - October 17, 1978, Winterland

------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also; “Bob Weir & Friends” acoustic mini-set Reckoning bonus tracks;

• Tom Dooley (Live, 1978) (Traditional) - Live, Chicago, 11/17/78
    • Deep Elem Blues (Traditional) - Live, Chicago, 11/17/78

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Closing of Winterland : December 31 1978
    Grateful Dead

Initial release: December 2003
    Rhino / Grateful Dead Records

Four CD set of the entire show from December 31, 1978 at Winterland. The entire show with bonus material is also available on DVD.

Tracks

Disc 1
    • Sugar Magnolia
    • Scarlet Begonias
    • Fire On The Mountain
    • Me and My Uncle
    • Big River
    • Friend of the Devil
    • It's All Over Now
    • Stagger Lee
    • From The Heart Of Me
    • Sunshine Daydream

Disc 2
    • Samson and Delilah
    • Ramble On Rose
    • I Need A Miracle
    • Terrapin Station
    • Playing In The Band

Disc 3
    • Rhythm Devils
    • Not Fade Away
    • Around And Around

Disc 4
    • Dark Star
    • The Other One
    • Dark Star
    • Wharf Rat
    • St. Stephen
    • Good Lovin'
    • Casey Jones
    • Johnny B. Goode
    • We Bid You Goodnight

Musicians
    • Keith Godchaux - keyboards, vocals
    • Mickey Hart - drums
    • Phil Lesh - bass, vocals

Special guests:
    • Bill Graham - master of ceremonies
    • Dan Aykroyd - midnight countdown
    • John Cipollina - guitar
    • Ken Kesey - thunder machine
    • Matthew Kelly - harmonica
    • Lee Oskar - harmonica
    • Greg Errico - drums

Credits
    • Producer - David Lemieux, Jeffrey Norman
    • Rhythm Devils engineer, mixing - Tom Flye, Mickey Hart
    • Archival research - Eileen Law / Grateful Dead Archives
    • Cover art - Stanley Mouse, Alton Kelley
    • Photography - Ed Perlstein
    • Additional photography - Michael Zagaris, Steve Schneider
    • Liner notes - Gary Lambert, Glenn Lambert
    • Package design, production - Robert Minkin

Related releases
    The Closing of Winterland show was also released as a 2 DVD set;
    The Closing of Winterland DVD set, Grateful Dead, 2003

Attached Files:

5. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

LOVE Closing of Winterland, both CD and DVD! First off the sound is fantastic! Very clear and crisp with a nice amount of GD warmth. Second, while the songs may lack quite a bit of spark (just look at the ridiculous high energy performances of DP 18) they are all very well played and just pleasant on the ears. The Scarlet > Fire is a joy to watch and the Dark Star is gorgeously played. Not only that but this is one mammoth show, especially when watching the DVD. Just huge!

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Closing has probably my favorite "Stagger Lee". Jerry was having lotsa fun that night. You can see it in his body movements and the big smiles on his face. The October performances were better, but the vibe on NY Eve was sizzling.

I wish they had included the complete NRPS and Blues Brothers sets on the DVD, or even the CD set. During the Blues Brother set, Ackroyd was taking doobies from the crowd and smoking them. Belushi did a cartwheel as they came on stage. Would love to see that on DVD!

7. jacksondownunda

Robert Hunter – Alligator Moon (only partially released on Promontory Rider compilati

Also in ’78; Robert Hunter gigging with SF Bay regulars as Comfort. I don’t know if Hunter saved material for future releases or canned the other songs altogether.

The song “Promontory Rider” on the surface is in the vicinity of the old “Cowboy’s Prayer”; he’s a ‘territory ranger’ out riding under the open sky, solitary by nature. I suspect though he’s singing about himself. The promontory IMHO is the high rarified air of either Hunter’s lifestyle choices, or much more likely a literary or intellectual level which sets him apart from others. I think the line about the “ladies all in lace” is very much like “Brown-Eyed Woman”’s “gone are the days when the ladies said please”; Hunter lives in his heart in a bygone day of chivalry, and the following line “but up here on the prominence the tears just freeze your face” indicates he hasn’t grown immune, but feels things with as much passion as ever. This recording is a very sweet band version.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From deaddisc.com;

Alligator Moon
    Robert Hunter

Recorded in 1978 but not released

This album was recorded but never released. Some tracks are Hunter with the group Comfort, some are solo Hunter. *Promontory Rider, *Hooker's Ball and *Drunkard's Carol were included on the Robert Hunter compilation album;
    • Promontory Rider - A Retrospective Collection, Robert Hunter, 1984, Relix Records RRLP 2002

Tracks
    • Mesa Linda (Hunter)
    • Domino, Cigarette and Melina (Hunter / Morgenstern)
    • Domino (Hunter / Morgenstern)
    • Blue Note (Hunter / McNeese)
    • New East St. Louis Blue (Hunter / McNeese)
    • Cigarette (Hunter / McNeese)
    • She Gives Me Love (Hunter)
    • *Drunkard's Carole (Hunter)
    • *Hooker's Ball (Hunter)
    • Jesse James (Hunter / Melton)
    • *Promontory Rider (Hunter)

Musicians

Musician information is given with the release of some tracks on the Promontory Rider compilation;

*Promontory Rider and Hooker's Ball;
    • Robert Hunter - guitar, vocals
    • Marleen Molle - vocals
    • Kathleen Klein - vocals
    • Kevin Morgenstern - guitar
    • Richard McNeese - keyboards
    • Larry Klein - bass
    • Rodney Albin - vina
    • Pat Lorenzano - drums

*Drunkard's Carol;
    • Robert Hunter - guitar, vocals

Credits
    • Producer - Bob Matthews
    • Engineer - Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Produced at Front Street

Notes
    Hunter toured and recorded with the group Comfort in 1978. No album was released. Some tapes of Comfort shows circulate.

Attached Files:

8. jacksondownunda

exit Keith & Donna

I received a DeadHead mailout advising of a mid-week GD show (“Environmental Cancer Benefit”) at the Oakland Coliseum on Feb 17, 1979. Being fairly flexible, I grabbed a backpack and hopped the Greydog bus north. Tickets were around and the Heads were friendly (a group helped re-load a tradesman who’d lost his load of lumber at a crosswalk). The crowd timed their, ahem, “refreshments” to coincide with the usual show start time, but Jane Fonda walked out instead and donated a screening of her latest film “Fun With Dick And Jane” to the benefit. The movie is a rattrap of corporate conniving and backstabbing, and the first couple minutes into the film I assumed was some kind of prank. 90 minutes later most peaking Heads were crawling out of their skins; one of the all-time most inappropriate openers I’ve ever witnessed. The band finally came on and from the opening moments of an almost insectoid “Greatest Story Ever Told” it appeared they were very tweaked indeed (Jerry was singing through tightly clenched teeth, which I suspect was a mix of blotter and blow).”Don’t Ease Me In” blasted, “FOTD” started deliciously out of sync, “High Time” opened with an unutterably beautiful Jerry solo. This crackling hot skillet of a show had a caustic playing and sound edge unlike anything I’d heard during the usually smooth and melodic Keith and Donna years. Donna or the band flubbed a change in “Heart Of Me”; her voice waivered and a tear trickled down her cheek. Out of “Space” came perhaps the shortest and definitely the sweetest “Wheel” I’ve ever heard. I hope GDM/Rhino release this one someday…it’s really nuts. We were to soon learn that it was Keith and Donna’s last concert in the Grateful Dead. (Things were still nuts after the show. The DeadHeads were clearly losing staredowns with their midnight fried eggs at the counter at Denny’s, so a collective bunch of us grabbed a ride in a taxi-van which was soon T-boned at an intersection and we all scattered into the night. I tied my pack to my leg at the bus station but didn’t sleep, and finally made it north to a few days of serenity in the Redwoods.)

There’s a picture amongst the hundreds in Jerilyn Lee Brandelius’ (Mickey’s ex) “Grateful Dead Family Album” scrapbook of Donna Jean Godchaux curled forward in a chair, hair touching the floor, captioned, “All I need is one more kid and one more band and I’ll lose my mind”. I think it’s supposed to be funny, but perhaps it’s just candid. It’s hard for a fan to know much about GD’s private lives and pressures as airing their dirt in public was rare. I’ve only got patchy stories, so take ‘em with a grain of salt... Garcia’s addiction was an issue. Keith Godchaux, active in both of Garcia’s bands, is said to have been getting down himself. Garcia maintained a level of creativity, but Keith’s once intuitive melodic runs were now becoming repetitive and often merely percussive block chords which annoyed Garcia immensely. Keith also refused to forgo the baby grand (which was an Achilles heel at the Egypt shows) , nor try adding musical color with organ. Despite Keith’s often brilliant contributions to the evolution of the band, his musical attitude was becoming a dead end. Add to this family pressures; Keith and Donna were in both of workaholic Garcia’s touring bands, with a child in tow no less. Stories only emerged much later of Donna drunk trashing hotel rooms or bashing limo drivers in frustration, and marital fights including a BMW demolition derby in the parking lot. Skully let slip that there’d been an affair in the band (maybe this is where Bob got “CC Rider”?). Phil Lesh was quoted, seemingly ungraciously at the time, “We asked them to do their thing somewhere else” which most fans took to mean musical differences. As luck would have it, Keith and Donna had concluded themselves that the GD pressures, scene, and drugs were killing them. So they moved on willingly.

Keith & Donna and kids moved back to Muscles Shoals for a year and re-discovered normal life. Many deceased rock stars never got the chance to find themselves again, so K & D were lucky. A new low-key performing band under the name Ghosts was soon superseded by The Heart Of Gold Band (you may recognize guitarist Steve Kimock’s name from post-GD projects). Tragedy struck in July ‘80 however with Keith in a fatal car crash. The following posthumous albums were released a few years later. The lovely Donna Jean is still active in the jam-band and Dead scenes to this day, including as Davmar has pointed out, the Zen Tricksters.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

From deaddisc.com;

The Ghosts Playing In The Heart Of Gold Band
    The Ghosts

Initial release : 1984
    Whirled 01967

LP release of material recorded by various Keith and Donna Godchaux groups in 1979 and 1980. Includes a cover version of the Garcia/Hunter song Scarlet begonias. Mickey Hart is thanked in the credits on the LP sleeve.

Tracks

Side 1 - The Ghosts
    • Ride Out (Anton/Rosenberg)
    • Built For Comfort (Anton/Gaynor)
    • House Of Wax (Gaynor)
    • Ready For Love (Gaynor)
    • Creatures Of The Night (Gaynor)

Side 2 - Heart Of Gold Band
    • Solid Rock (Dylan)
    • Golden Road (Anton / Kimock)
    • Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Dylan)
    • Scarlet Begonias (Garcia / Hunter)

Musicians

Tracks 1 and 5;
    • Don Gaynor - guitar, vocals
    • Keith Godchaux - piano, organ
    • Donna Godchaux - vocals
    • Bill Middlejon - guitar
    • Greg Anton - drums, piano
    • Larry Klein - bass
    • Greta Rose - vocals
    • Billy Travis - vocals
    • John Cipollina - guitar (track 1)
    • Irv Rosenberg - '49 Panhead (track 1)
    • Dave Court - 850 Norton (track 1)
    • Greg Anton - '70 Shovelhead (track 1)
    • Steve Kimock - guitar (track 2)

Tracks 6 and 7;
    • Steve Kimock - guitar
    • David Mackay - bass
    • Greg Anton - drums
    • Mark Adler - piano
    • Greta Rose - vocals

Tracks 8 and 9;
    • Keith Godchaux - piano, vocals
    • Steve Kimock - guitar
    • Greg Anton - drums
    • Dexter LaBlanc - bass
    • Greta Rose - vocals

Credits
    • Mixing, Editing, Making It Right - Dan Healy
    • Co-ordination, Wardrobe - John Cipollina
    • Engineering - Bob Matthews, Leroy Shyne, Joe Tarantino, Richard Van Doren, B.T.
    • Studios - Front Street, Tewksbury, Tres Virgos, Prairie Sun, Harbor Sound
    • Artwork - Dean Burns
    • Executive Production - Greg Anton, Alan Trist
    • Also starring - Zion Rock, Muppy, Gene, Hal and Brian Godchaux, Jamie and Ivan Thatcher, Rolling Thunder, David Frieberg, Pete Sears, Robert Hunter, Smoking Moccasin, Mickey Hart, John Kahn, Donna McKay, Dino Valenti, Chevy Marie, Marty Levine, Courtney Pollack, Nancy May, Laura, Dan and Carol, Peter Monk, Hope, Fu, Jerilyn, Hodge, Debbie Trist, Gary Kephart, N.F.B., Jeff Bogart, Howie and Dan Cort, Kenny and Dee, Michael Perry, Peyton Massey, Avatar Studio, and The Stoop Sisters.
    • Mastered by George Horn, Fantasy Records.

Notes
    The group were originally called The Ghosts. They subsequently became The Heart Of Gold Band.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Heart Of Gold Band
    The Heart Of Gold Band

Initial release : 1986
    Relix Records 2020

Single LP album of live material from the Keith and Donna Godchaux band.

Tracks
    Side 1
    • Stir It Up (Marley)
    • Watching the River Flow (Dylan)

Side 2
    • It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (Dylan)
    • Strange Man (D. Lovecoats)
    • Lonesome Highway (Bramlett / Russel)

Musicians
    • Keith Godchaux - piano, vocals
    • Steve Kimock - guitar
    • Greg Anton - drums
    • Dexter LaBlanc - bass
    • Greta Rose - vocals

Credits
    • Producer - Greg Anton
    • Recording - B.T.
    • Additional engineering - Brian Risner
    • Art work - Gary Kroman
    • Photography - Sister Charles Mayer, R.S.M.
    • Special thanks to - Irv Rosenberg, Dave Cort, Les Kippel
    • Recorded Live at the Back Door, San Francisco, Ca 7/10/80

Notes
    The rear cover of the LP includes a photograph of Keith Godchaux seated at his piano captioned simply, "Keith Godchaux, 1948-1980"
    Above the photograph is the following;
    The Heart of Gold Band began with Keith. After one concert he was gone and we were left with this one night stand. Who knows what might have been. Here is the raw beginning. For those who loved and remember Keith, this record is for you. God Bless You.
    Donna Godchaux Mackay

Attached Files:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. Closing of Winterland is a good one. Great Sugar Magnolia>Scarlet>Fire to open the set, great Miracle>Terrapin>Playin from set 2 and the first Dark Star in more than 4 years (although the rest of set 3 drags a bit).

10. jacksondownunda

Apocalypse Now Sessions-Rhythm Devils

Director Francis Ford Coppola was working on his “Heart Of Darkness” jungle boat epic, happened to catch a GD concert with Hart/Kreutzmann “rhythm devils” drums segment, and proposed Hart do a percussion score soundtrack. Hart used advance monies to build an extensive array of percussion instruments, then set them up so they could be played in a walk-through fashion in the studio. Hart and his group could watch and play along with rushes of the film and create stylized sounds of plant and grass rustles, insects, Asian temple ruins, heartbeats and funny little sounds suggesting a queasy feeling in the stomach, or giant booms for artillery. Ultimately, it’s a bit strange in retrospect hearing how much wasn’t used in the film, which is better known for The Doors “The End”, Randy Hansen imitating Hendrix, and “The Ride Of The Valkaries”. Also worth noting that this isn’t 45mins of Rhythm Devils’ drum duels, but rather a feast of percussive textures. (Much of the vast array of drums became part of the touring drum kits.) Skully tells an amusing anecdote of having Garcia and Coppola sleeping in the studio on couches looking like the Smith Brothers cough drop box.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From deaddisc.com;

The Rhythm Devils Play River Music
    The Rhythm Devils

Initial release : 1980
    Passport PB-9844

Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann and Phil Lesh contribute to this original LP release of percussion music from the recording sessions from the Apocalypse Now soundtrack.

Tracks

LP Side 1
    • Compound (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Trenches (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Street Gang (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • The Beast (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    LP Side 2
    • Steps (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Tar (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Lance (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Cave (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Napalm for Breakfast (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)
    • Hell's Bells (Hart/Hinton/Moreira)

An expanded version of this LP was subsequently released on CD as;

The Apocalypse Now Sessions
    The Rhythm Devils Play River Music

The Rhythm Devils

Initial release : 1989
    Rykodisc 109

Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann and Phil Lesh contribute to this album of percussion music from the recording sessions from the Apocalypse Now soundtrack. This is an exapnded version of the original album.

Tracks
    • Compound
    • Trenches
    • Street Gang
    • The Beast
    • Steps
    • Tar
    • Lance
    • Cave
    • Hell's Bells
    • Kurtz
    • Napalm For Breakfast

Musicians
    The Rhythm Devils
    • Greg Errico
    • Mickey Hart
    • Michael Hinton
    • Bill Kreutzmann
    • Phil Lesh
    • Jim Loveless
    • Airto Moreira
    • Jordan Amarantha
    • Flora Purim

Compound is included on the Mickey Hart compilation Over The Edge And Back. The CD booklet with that release includes the following musician list;
    • Mickey Hart - percussion
    • Bill Kreutzmann - percussion
    • Airto Moreira - percussion
    • Michael Hinton - percussion
    • Jim Loveless - marimba
    • Greg Errico - drums
    • Jordan Amarantha - congas
    • Flora Purim - vocals
    • Phil Lesh - bass

Credits
    • Producer - Mickey Hart
    • Associate producer - Gian-Carlo Coppola
    • Production assistance - Creek Hart
    • Composed by - Mickey Hart, Michael Hinton, Airto Moreira
    • Engineer - Betty Cantor-Jackson, Brett Cohen, Dan Healy
    • Assistant Engineer - John Cutler, Bob Matthews
    • Mastering - Joe Gastwirt
    • Instrument design - Jim Loveless, Ramrod, Willy John Cashman, Danny Orlando
    • Additional instruments - Zildjian Cymbal Co., Remo Inc.
    • Cover art - Stanley Mouse
    • Photography - Snookey Flowers, John Werner, Steve Schneider
    • Package design - Steven Jurgensmeyer
    • Coordination - Jerry Brandelius, Alan Trist
    • Liaison - Rock Scully
    • Protocol - Jeffrey Boden
    • Support - John Scher, Bill Graham
    • Crew - Ramrod, Hagen, Steve Parrish, Billy Candelario, Bob Nichols, Willy Legate, Debbie Eisenberg, David Faust
    • Series ethnomusicology consultant - Frederic Lieberman
    • Special thanks to Francis Coppola for his inspiration
    • Recorded at Club Front, San Rafael, April 1979 and The Barn, Novato, March 1980

Notes

The CD booklets notes that the;
    music on this album is composed of excerpts from our playing a single time through the film, though not necessarily arranged in the original order.

Attached Files:

11. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Jerry, I believe I have what you're looking for,
    [ Blues Bros.]. PM me for more info.

telepicker97 likes this.
  12. jacksondownunda

enter Brent Mydland

Brent Mydland was born in 1952 in a US military base in West Germany, but grew up in the SF Bay area. Brent’s main gig seems to start with later album(s?) of Batdorf & Rodney. I wandered into a John Batdorf website a while back and he mentioned that the band really splintered in frustration when “hands-on” Clive Davis switched singles on them and had their acoustic instrumental solos removed from the last album (Batdorf insisted B&R’s core audience loved singing AND playing). Somewhere along the line Brent also played with Eric Andersen, know for his “Weather Report Prelude” collaboration with Bob Weir.

Out of the ashes Brent Mydland and Batdorf formed the band Silver on Arista. I remember having this lp briefly and Brett’s sad refrain “Now I know what it’s like to be a musician” from “Musician (It’s Not An Easy Life)” was memorable. In a déjà vu situation, Batdorf says Clive forced the unrepresentative song “Wham Bang Shag-A-Lang” on Silver as a single, and they were unable to tour their own music effectively behind the “bubble gum” tune reputation.

Somewhere along the line, Brent was recommended as keyboardist for the Bob Weir Band promoting the “Heaven Help The Fool” album. These were very tightly arranged tunes, but Mydland showed some flair which was noted by Garcia when it was time to ease the Godchauxs out of the Grateful Dead in early ’79. There’s a rehearsal tape that circulates from just prior to Brent’s first gig with GD in April. What makes it notable is that the band puts Brent through his paces on a multitude of evolving jams to see what kind of color he can add with organ. There are fast changes, there are those eerie quiet spaces that Garcia’s so good at, there are freefall jams to see where it flies. And occasionally they wander into songs from the GD K&D era repertoire. Wouldn’t you know it? Any other band would start with songs and work into jams…the GD starts with space jams and works into songs. Finally the big day of the first gig with GD came and Brent asked what the setlist (or even songs) was, and was ignored with grins. In GD land, they play what feels right while they’re doing it. Mydland came to quickly see the beauty of playing seat-of-your-pants/off-the-cuff (indeed, he soon didn’t know why you would play any differently) and became a very worthy member of the band. Brent recalled ironically in interviews that years earlier when a band was playing too loosely they’d be chided with “Ya don’t wanna sound like the Grateful Dead, do ya?”

from deaddisc.com;

Silver
    Silver

Initial release : 1976
    Arista 4076

Debut album from Silver includes Brent Mydland on keyboards and vocals.

Tracks
    • Musician (It's Not an Easy Life) (Brent Mydland)
    • All I Wanna Do (Steve Ferguson)
    • Memory (Sandi Lifson)
    • No Wonder (Greg Collier)
    • Trust in Somebody (Greg Collier)
    • It's Gonna Be Alright (John Batdorf)
    • Climbing (Brent Mydland)
    • Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang (Rick Giles)
    • Right On Time (Greg Collier)
    • Goodbye, So Long (John Batdorf)

Musicians
    • John Batdorf - guitar, vocals
    • Greg Collier - guitar, vocals
    • Tom Leadon - bass, vocals
    • Brent Mydland - keyboards, vocals
    • Harry Stinson - drums, vocals

Credits
    • Producer, arranger - Tom Sellers, Silver
    • Orchestral arrangements - Tom Sellers
    • Wham Bam producer - Tom Sellers, Clive Davis
    • Vice Producer - John "Maverick" Simmons
    • Engineer/Production Assistant - Joe "Skeedorie" Sidore
    • Album Coordination - Martha Sellers
    • Road Manager and Friend - Steve Smith
    • Equipment and Jokes - Jack "Ol' Shep" Batdorf
    • Cover Design - Philip Hartmann
    • Photography - Guy Webster
    • Direction - Hartmann & Goodman
    • Recorded at Indigo Ranch, Sound Labs and Wally Heider
    • Correspondence to 1500 Cross Roads Of The World, Hollywood, CA 90028

Related releases

This LP was remastered and digitalized and released in France on CD in 2000 on the Magic Records label.

Three singles were released in conjunction with this LP;
    • Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang / Right On Time, Silver, May 1976, Arista 0189
    • Memory / So Much For The Past, Silver, November 1976, Arista 0210
    • Musician (It's Not An Easy Life) / Right On Time, Silver, January 1977, Arista 0227

Attached Files:

13. jacksondownunda

Dead Live ’79 – RT1.1, DP5, RT3.1

After some not very extensive rehearsals (to keep things fresh and “interesting”) Brent started playing with the GD in April. The band was playing a set of songs very similar to what they’d been playing with Keith & Donna just a couple months earlier, with just a few of the most complicated tunes being saved for when Brent had been more thoroughly integrated. In a normal band, Mydland would’ve learned his parts and been settled in within mere days or weeks, but this band’s mode of operation required intense listening to the others and intuitively adding bits that could prove appropriate one night but possibly not on another. On some of the earliest tapes, Brent is laying way back in the mix.

I didn’t hear the band with Mydland until November. I’d been expecting to really miss K&D musically, but the first set sounded to me like very precise and rich tracks from the Europe ’72 album. Brent was still in a very supportive role at this point, but it was clear that there was piano AND organ. In fact, there was an ARP and other electronic sound effects that the guitarists wouldn’t have access to for several years. The organ added sustain in places that hadn’t had it previously. Brent’s particularly tasty and sublime use of the little electronic tingles to tickle the synapses and swatches of color was his much underrated forte. Funnily, from a distance Brent’s long hair and beard made him look like Keith, while his high harmonies could trick one into thinking Donna was standing behind an amp somewhere. The band was also already playing “Saint Of Circumstance” and “Althea” (some tapes reveal that lines were transposed in some verses). The “new” band sounded terrific. They were picking up at very least where K&D had left off. What was not to like? Road Trips 1.1 really captures the Brent side of things IMO.

I managed to catch a show of the 1979 Oakland Auditorium Xmas/New Years run that makes up DP5, RT3.1 and it’s bonus disc. (Had Xmas dinner with family, slept an hour, worked midnight to 7am where I heard about the gig, hopped in the car and drove 450miles solo, arriving …almost went across the Bay Bridge on an empty tank at rush hour but made a U-turn through a utility hole in the fence, and finally to the hall at dusk and those guys running around with baggies full of little bits of paper. Slept in the car behind a gas station after the show. Typical road trip.) The old hall was to become the new medium-sized home venue for Dead shows. There was also some serious new sound equipment testing going on; McNally records that Healy, Ultrasound (which I understand included some Owsley technical input?) and John Meyer no-distortion speaker systems “combined sound equipment from several different sound companies with Ultra’s crossovers and got a five-way time-corrected-stereo image that was perfect, among the best sound systems ever.” I hadn’t travelled merely to sample sound quality, but I have to admit it sounded absolutely gorgeous, and an edited audience cassette tape making the rounds confirmed something exceptional audio-wise.

The show I attended was 12/26/79 Dick’s Picks 5. I know it had big flaws (a couple colossal flubs and a couple slow moments), but it was one of “those” special nights that make such absurdly impulsive trips worth all the effort. It was way up the top of my list when Dick Latvala was asking fans for suggestions. The band just spilled itself into “Cold Rain And Snow” (Jerry immediately Freudian transposing “Well she married me a wife, I’ve been trouble all my life”), which constantly shifts and slithers and seems to be played 6 different ways in the course of the tune. Listen carefully to the show; Bob Weir’s having an absolutely brilliant evening with his mercurial rhythm filigrees. Brent is stepping out big-time in one of the classic examples of his “plinkety-plink” piano period, but very quick to switch to the big Hammond sound on “CC Rider” blues or color textures on the frictionless jams. The band was hearing itself in unparalleled clarity and responding with amazing nuances. A new tune of surprisingly simple structure called “Alabama Getaway” got a fierce jam-out. A giant backdrop of Nepalese temple eyes slowly billowed in fan wind, which was the Seva benefit logo. The subject matter as the set unfolded reflected some personal issues of the preceding year, so the delicate “Uncle John’s Band” came like a giant hug, and the bent but beautiful “Brokedown Palace” left no doubt that lovers come and go but there was always the Good Ol’ Grateful Dead. The lighting was quite cool that night; under blues Jerry looked like a Civil War veteran, then he’d shift under red to a bug-eyed insect. The “Shakedown” encore funked along until it unexpectedly mutated back into the ”UJB” reprise, where Jerry SKIPPED in place (I’d never seen THAT before!). All in all, this batch of archive shows provides some very cool music IMHO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    From deaddisc.com;

Estimated Prophet - Red Rocks, Morrison, CO, 8/12/79 –“So Many Roads” box set
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shakedown Street- McNichols Arena, Denver, CO, 8/13/79 -“Beyond Description” bonus disc
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 1: Fall 1979
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : 2007
    Grateful Dead / Rhino

A two CD release of live music from the Grateful Dead tour in the Fall of 1979. A third bonus CD was included with early copies of this release. This is the first in a proposed series of Road Trips releases which will concentrate on specific tours or series of shows.

Tracks

CD 1;
    • Alabama Getaway > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Promised Land (Berry)
    • Jack Straw > (Weir / Hunter)
    • Deal (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Dancing In The Street > (Stevenson / Gaye / Hunter)
    • Franklin's Tower (Garcia / Kreutzmann / Hunter)
    • Wharf Rat > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • I Need A Miracle > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Bertha > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Good Lovin' (Resnick / Clark)

CD 2;
    • Shakedown Street (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Passenger (Lesh / Monk)
    • Terrapin Station > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Playing In The Band (Weir / Hart / Hunter)
    • Not Fade Away > (Petty / Hardin)
    • Morning Dew (Dobson / Rose)

• China Cat Sunflower > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • I Know You Rider (Traditional arr. Grateful Dead)
    • Lost Sailor (Weir / Barlow)
    • Saint Of Circumstance > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Jam (Grateful Dead)
    • Althea (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Estimated Prophet > (Weir / Barlow)
    • He's Gone > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Jam (Grateful Dead)

Musicians
    • Brent Myland - keyboards, vocals
    • Bill Kreutzmann - drums, percussion
    • Mickey Hart - drums, percussion

Credits
    • Producer - Grateful Dead
    • Compilation producer - David Lemieux, Blair Jackson
    • Recording engineer - Dan Healy
    • Editing, mastering - Jeffrey Norman at Garage Audio Mastering
    • Cover art - Scott McDougall
    • Photography - Jay Blakesburg, Herb Greene, Larry Hulst, Bob Minkin
    • Package design - Steve Vance
    • Booklet essay - Blair Jackson

Notes
    The tracks on this release are from the following shows;
    • Shakedown Street - Oct 25, 1979, New Haven, CT
    • Jack Straw - Nov 6, 1979, Philadelphia, PA
    • Deal - Nov 6, 1979, Philadelphia, PA
    • Terrapin Station - Nov 6, 1979, Philadelphia, PA
    • Playing In The Band - Nov 6, 1979, Philadelphia, PA
    • Not Fade Away - Nov 8, 1979, Landover, MD
    • Morning Dew - Nov 8, 1979, Landover, MD
    • Dancing In The Street - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • Franklin's Tower - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • Wharf Rat - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • I Need A Miracle - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • Bertha - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • Good Lovin' - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • Alabama Getaway - Nov 10, 1979, Ann Arbor, MI
    • Promised Land - Nov 10, 1979, Ann Arbor, MI
    • Passenger - Nov 10, 1979, Ann Arbor, MI

• China Cat Sunflower - Oct 31, 1979, Uniondale, NY
    • I Know You Rider - Oct 31, 1979, Uniondale, NY
    • Althea - Oct 31, 1979, Uniondale, NY
    • Lost Sailor - Nov 8, 1979, Landover, MD
    • Saint Of Circumstance - Nov 8, 1979, Landover, MD
    • Jam (1) - Nov 8, 1979, Landover, MD
    • Estimated Prophet - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • He's Gone - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY
    • Jam (2) - Nov 9, 1979, Buffalo, NY

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Road Trips Download: Philadelphia, Nov 5, 1979
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

A digital download release of the 11/5/79 show from the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Available from www.dead.net

Tracks
    • China Cat Sunflower
    • I Know You Rider
    • Cassidy
    • Friend Of The Devil
    • El Paso
    • Stagger Lee
    • Passenger
    • Peggy-O
    • The Music Never Stopped
    • Althea
    • Easy To Love You
    • Eyes of the World
    • Estimated Prophet
    • Franklin's Tower
    • Space
    • Drums
    • Space
    • Lost Sailor
    • Saint of Circumstance
    • Sugar Magnolia
    • Casey Jones
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Road Trips Download: Philadelphia, Nov 6, 1979
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

A digital download release of the 11/6/79 show from the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Available from www.dead.net
    Tracks
    • Alabama Getaway
    • Promised Land
    • Tennessee Jed
    • Me & My Uncle
    • Mexicali Blues
    • Candyman
    • Easy To Love You
    • Looks Like Rain
    • Jack-A-Roe
    • Jack Straw
    • Deal
    • Terrapin Station
    • Playin' In The Band
    • Drums
    • Space
    • Black Peter
    • Good Lovin'
    • U.S. Blues

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dick's Picks, Volume Five
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : May 1996
    Grateful Dead Records GDCD-4024

Three CD version of the complete December 26, 1979 show from Oakland.
    Buy from amazon.com

Tracks

Disc 1
    • Cold Rain And Snow (Grateful Dead)
    • C.C. Rider (Traditional arr. Grateful Dead)
    • Dire Wolf (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • Me and My Uncle (John Phillips)
    • Big River (Johnny Cash)
    • Brown-Eyed Women (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • New Minglewood Blues (Traditional arr. Bob Weir)
    • Friend Of The Devil (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter / John Dawson)
    • Looks Like Rain (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
    • Alabama Getaway (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • Promised Land (Chuck Berry)

Disc 2
    • Uncle John's Band (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • Estimated Prophet (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
    • Jam 1 (Grateful Dead)
    • He's Gone (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • The Other One (Bob Weir / Bill Kreutzmann)
    • Drums (Mickey Hart / Bill Kreutzmann)

Disc 3
    • Drums (Mickey Hart / Bill Kreutzmann)
    • Jam 2 (Grateful Dead)
    • Not Fade Away (Norman Petty / Charles Hardin)
    • Brokedown Palace (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • Around and Around (Chuck Berry)
    • Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry)
    • Shakedown Street (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • Uncle John's Band (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)

Credits
    • Recorded by - Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Tape Archivist - Dick Latvala
    • CD mastering - Jeffrey Norman
    • Photography - Jay Blakesberg
    • Design - Gecko Graphics
    • Recorded Live: December 26, 1979 at the Oakland Auditorium Arena, Oakland, CA
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 1: Oakland, December 28, 1979
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : 2009
    Grateful Dead / Rhino

A two CD release of the complete Grateful Dead show at the Oakland Auditorium on December 28, 1979. A third bonus CD, with music from the December 30, 1979 show, was included with early copies of this release.

Tracks

CD 1;
    • Sugaree (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Mama Tried > (Haggard)
    • Mexicali Blues (Weir / Barlow)
    • Row Jimmy (Garcia / Hunter)
    • It’s All Over Now (Womack / Womack)
    • High Time (Garcia / Hunter)
    • The Music Never Stopped (Weir / Barlow)
    • Alabama Getaway > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Greatest Story Ever Told (Weir / Hunter)

CD 2;
    • Terrapin Station > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Playing In The Band > (Weir / Hunter)
    • Rhythm Devils > (Hart / Kreutzmann)
    • Space > (Grateful Dead)
    • Uncle John’s Band > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • I Need A Miracle > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Bertha > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Good Lovin’ (Resnick / Clark)
    • Casey Jones (Garcia / Hunter)
    • One More Saturday Night (Weir)

• New Minglewood Blues
    • Candyman (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Ramble On Rose (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Lazy Lightning > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Supplication (Weir / Barlow)
    • Scarlet Begonias > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Fire On The Mountain > (Hart / Hunter)
    • Let It Grow (Weir / Barlow)
    • Truckin’ > (Garcia / Weir / Lesh / Hunter)
    • Wharf Rat (Garcia / Hunter)

Musicians
    • Brent Myland - keyboards, vocals
    • Bill Kreutzmann - drums, percussion
    • Mickey Hart - drums, percussion

Credits
    • Mastering - Jeffrey Norman
    • Booklet essay - Steve Silberman
    • Recorded live at Oakland Auditorium on December 28, 1979
    • Bonus CD tracks recorded live at Oakland Auditorium on December 30,

Attached Files:

14. jacksondownunda

Go To Heaven

The GD again went into the studio with a guest producer, this time with Gary Lyons known for albums of the era by Foreigner and Aerosmith. Of course, the Grateful Dead didn’t sound like those bands on the record, but there was a commercial shimmer and sheen to the production. Several of the tunes had already evolved onstage and sound fairly similar to the record, so it’s surprising to read that there was quite a bit of overdubbing involved (there’s a rumor of a couple alternate solos on the commercial cassette version), causing Lesh to remark that he’d kill himself before using an outside producer again. There also was a fluffy commercial sheen to the cover photo, where the heavenly white suit gag just left some fans puzzled as to whether GD had become the BeeGees or ZZ Top. The album stayed mid-chart for a few months bolstered to a small degree by another Saturday Night Live appearance (pictured), but this was to be the last studio GD album for a VERY long time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    “Alabama Getaway” was the snappy opener and single. When I’d first hear this song live months earlier, the simple structure immediately reminded me of The Beatles’ “Get Back” for some reason. My initial and immediate lyrical impression was that this was a surprising veiled right-wing swipe at President Jimmy Carter for not dealing effectively with the recent and ongoing Iranian Hostage Crisis. I didn’t think GD were having issues with the state of Alabama (Neil Young had famously gone down that road already, but Neil had similarly spouted right-wing rhetoric in tunes like “These Fences Need Mending”). By “veiled”, I was thinkin’ that Carter’s Georgia had been screened by using Alabama. “Thirty-two teeth in a jawbone” had slain an army in the Bible, “Alabama’s cryin’ for none” but Carter was being a pacifist, which riled even some normally pacifist Americans who took the crisis as an affront. “Before I have to hit him, I hope he’s got the sense to run…The only way to please me is turn around to leave and walk away.” Get out of the way, WE’ll get the job done. The “courthouse”, “jurybox” and “Forty-nine sister states” would be hot debate in Senate and Congress. “In the Valley Of The Shadows, just you, Alabama, and me” is, well, the Biblical Armageddon, where co-incidentally, this Middle East problem was poised and teetering. Having said all that, when the Jerry solo box came out, there was an outtake of Jerry playing “Alabama Getaway” with roadies or something that clearly predates the Iranian Hostage Crisis, meaning I don’t have any idea now WTF “Alabama Getaway” is really about! LOL.
    -------------------------
    Gone are the “slings and arrows of outrageous romance” that punctuated albums “Terrapin”, “Cats”, and “Shakedown”. There’s now solitude and drifting in both Hunter and Barlow lyrics;

In “Lost Sailor” Weir/Barlow sing of trying to find bearings or a point to navigate by. The guitar chords are somewhat complicated and mature like something off “Heaven Help The Fool”. Fortunately, they then pair it with the more uplifting “Saint Of Circumstance”. On a very early outtake or demo Weir calls it “The Climb” then sings a warm-up line, “This must be heaven, end of the long hard climb.”

In an early alternate working version the feel and meaning is still the same, but there seems to be a woman he’s chosen freedom over.

“Well, this is heaven, here’s where the rainbow ends.
    Am I gonna stay then? I guess it all depends.
    Where the wind blows and I hear that siren’s call,
    Take a chance and take it all.
    Rain fallin’ down, rain fallin’ down.

My (sweet?) Katrina, hotter than hell in the summertime,
    Well it’s “Hey now”, always ready to play.
    And ???? ???? and have it all.
    She’s still like day and night.
    Rain fallin’ down, rain fallin’ down.

Holes in what’s left of my reason, holes in the knees of my blues,
    I may be hunting out of season, but my aim is true.
    Never could read no road map, etc…..
    I’ve got a feeling there’s no time to lose.

So this is heaven, this is where the rainbow ends,
    I’ll be on my way now. I don’t see none of my friends.
    I'm still walkin', so I'm sure that I can dance
    Just a saint of circumstance,
    Like a tiger in a trance, (“Titan in a trance” on the album?)
    In the rain fallin down.”

The “Sure don’t know what I’m going for, but I’m gonna go for it for sure” bit sounds like it’s lifted from some 30’s “running down a country mile” movie soundtrack, but I can’t place it. Must be American root synthesis.

“Saint Of Circumstance” struck me as another one of those Weir tunes that was quite cinematic (the “rain pouring down” interludes), but could either be uplifting or darkly cynical depending on his delivery on the given night.
    ------------------------

“Althea” is the edgy spooky blues tune and one highlight of the elpee. Some of the guitar stew is buried in the mix under the prominent drums, but it’s still quite cool IMHO. The guy’s feeling lost but spurns the one person who’s taking the time to tell him what his problem is. In one verse Hunter references a chunk of Hamlet in a “clown in the burying ground”(Alas, poor Yorick), “to sleep, perchance to dream” of “Ophelia” (who spoke her love to Hamlet, was rejected, and suicided); “honest to the point of recklessness” (“to the point of innocence” on an early take). Annotated Lyrics goes further to tie the “fire” in the lyrics to the mythical Althea who saved a log from burning which had the magic power to kill her son, but finally burnt it when her son committed murder. The “nobody messin’ with you but you, your friends are getting most concerned” has been construed by some in retrospect as Hunter addressing Garcia’s addiction again (“it’s your fire, I hope you don’t get burned”), and ultimately “thinking a lot about less and less, and forgetting the love we bring”. There are some very memorable phrases Hunter and a deft vocal delivery by Garcia here.
    --------------------

Brent Mydland gets a couple tunes in, and the initial fan response was that the tunes were mainstream pop. It was quite a dilemma and curse for Brent; he finally had a large captive audience (and broadened the Dead’s audience to some degree), but his songwriting sensibilities would never be considered quirky enough by many of the GD fans. “Far From Me” starts with the girl wanting to reconcile and he spends the whole tune telling her that he just can’t find any good reason for that to happen….end of story. “Easy To Love You” has John Barlow lyrics of love and vowing to protect her from the devil and darkness. Much to Brent’s long-term chagrin, “hands-on” Clive Davis swooped in on “real as a raven, real as a bluebird”, and had “bluebird” changed to “thunder” to make it more “Grateful Dead-like”. Sheeesh…
    “Antwep’s Placebo (The Plumber)” is another short royalty spreader for the drummers that sounds like microphone bumping and growling that occurred between takes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Feel Like A Stranger” was that year’s stab at disco-Dead, which the rest of the album isn’t. It struck me as phenomenally minimalist upon release, just bouncing a pair of bass notes with an occasional key change. Weir wanted a simple “a guy walks into a disco” song, Barlow wanted to incorporate some far deeper messages, a brawl ensued, but Weir got his way. After all, GD was a dance band. Somehow, after a few persistent years the song finally reached it’s stride with vocal tags and open-ended jamming.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Along the way, the Dead made stabs at recording some covers they’d been doing live, the traditional “Jack-A-Roe” and “Peggy-O/Fenario” (the latter had been recorded early in “Terrapin” sessions as well). Bonus tracks on the later GTH cd also includes Hunter/Garcia outtake “What’ll You Raise” which makes love/card allegories; “Saw the lady face to face,Who rules the Joker commands the Ace. I just rolled in from the Golden State, just a dusty spoke on the wheel of fate. What'll you raise, What'll you raise, What'll you raise to take/see my hand?” However the tune is limp as a wet dishrag, and better left off the album in that state of development.
    ------------------------------------------
    Finally, they picked “Don’t Ease Me In”, which just happened to be the flip side of their very first 1966 single. 1980 just happened to be the 15th anniversary of the Grateful Dead, so it made some kind of sense, and there was the album.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    from deaddisc.com;

Go To Heaven
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : April 28, 1980
    Arista AL-9508

The Dead's sixteenth album. The first studio album with Brent Mydland.

Tracks

Side 1;
    • Alabama Getaway (Garcia/Hunter)
    • Far From Me (Mydland)
    • Althea (Garcia/Hunter)
    • Feel Like A Stranger (Weir/Barlow)

Side 2;
    • Lost Sailor (Weir/Barlow)
    • Saint Of Circumstance (Weir/Barlow)
    • Antwerp's Placebo (The Plumber) (Kreutzmann / Hart)
    • Easy To Love You (Mydland/Barlow)
    • Don't Ease Me In (Traditional arr. Grateful Dead)

Note that the track list is not accurate on the album cover.

Bonus tracks on CD version released in the Beyond Description box set in 2004 and as a separate CD in 2006;
    • Peggy-O (Traditional) - Studio outtake, 7/16/79
    • What'll You Raise (Hunter) - Studio outtake, 7/16/79
    • Jack-A-Roe (Traditional) - Studio outtake, 7/14/79
    • Althea (Garcia/Hunter) - Live, Oct 1980
    • Lost Sailor (Weir/Barlow) - Live, Oct 25, 1980
    • Saint Of Circumstance (Weir/Barlow) - Live, Oct 25, 1980

Musicians
    • Billy Kreutzmann - drums
    • Bob Weir - guitar, vocals
    • Phil Lesh - bass
    • Mickey Hart - drums

Credits
    • Producer - Gary Lyons
    • Engineer - Gary Lyons, Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Additional engineer - Peter Thea, Bob Matthews, John Cutler
    • Illustration - Stanley Mouse
    • Photography - Bob Seidemann
    • Art direction and production - Stanley Mouse, Jim Welch
    • Special thanks to Club Front - Steve Parrish, Ram Rod, Bill Candelario, John Hagen, Debbie Doobie and Willy Legate
    • Thanks also to
    The Grateful Dead Office - Bonnie Parker, Eileen Law, Sue Stephens, Janet Stephenson
    The Tailors - Penelope Kraber, Tedde Motika, Terry Ryan
    And to - Matthew Kelly, Rob Taylor, Brian Rohan
    • Special thanks to - John Scher, Hal Kant
    • Co-ordination, direction - Rock Scully, Alan Trist, Richard Loren
    • Recorded at Club Front, San Rafael, CA, 7/79 - 1/80
    • Mixed at Media Sound Studios, New York
    • Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, New York

Notes
    Go To Heaven remained in the album charts for over 20 weeks peaking at number 23.
    The Alabama Getaway single fared less well peaking at 68 in the Billboard top 100.

Related releases
    Two singles were released in conjunction with this LP;
    • Alabama Getaway / Far From Me, Grateful Dead, 1980, Arista 0519
    • Don't Ease me In / Far From Me, Grateful Dead, 1981, Arista 0546

Attached Files:

15. jacksondownunda

Live ’80 – Go To Nassau, DL7

The band toured extensively on the back of “Go To Heaven”. Parts of the Nassau cd set may sound very familiar as an edit of the May 15 show was a King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast. (I won’t peeess you off and tell you what’s NOT on this cd set….I’m sure they had they’re reasons for the setlist as released.) The mix here is much sleeker than the broadcast and the hybrid set demonstrates what “Go To Heaven” sounds like with a bit more oooomph in it. The thing I notice here is that Brent seems to be really working the Hammond B-3 sound more as opposed to the “plinkety-pling” piano sound on the Fall ’79 sets.

From deaddisc.com;

Go To Nassau
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : October 2002
    Arista

Two CD set of music from the two May 1980 shows at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Tracks

Disc 1
    • Jack Straw (Weir / Hunter)
    • Franklin's Tower (Garcia / Hunter / Kreutzmann)
    • New Minglewood Blues (Traditional arr. Weir)
    • Lazy Lightnin' (Weir / Barlow)
    • Supplication (Weir / Barlow)
    • Peggy-O (Traditional)
    • Far From Me (Mydland)
    • Looks Like Rain (Weir / Barlow)
    • China Cat Sunflower (Garcia / Hunter)
    • I Know You Rider (Traditional)

Disc 2
    • Feel Like a Stranger (Weir / Barlow)
    • Althea (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Lost Sailor (Weir / Barlow)
    • Saint Of Circumstance (Weir / Barlow)
    • Alabama Getaway (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Playing in the Band (Weir / Hunter)
    • Uncle John's Band (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Drums (Hart / Kreutzmann)
    • Space (Grateful Dead)
    • Not Fade Away (Petty / Holly)
    • Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (Traditional arr. Grateful Dead)

Musicians
    • Mickey Hart - drums
    • Phil Lesh - electric bass

Credits
    • Mixing - Jeffrey Norman
    • Compliation producer - David Lemieux
    • Album Coordination - Cassidy Law
    • Archival Research - Eileen Law/Grateful Dead Archives
    • Assistant Engineer - Rudson Shurtliff
    • Package Design - Amy Finkle
    • Photography: front and back cover - Robert Minkin
    • Photography: booklet and inside tray - Jim Anderson
    • Recorded live at the Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY on May 15 and 16 1980

------------------------------------------------------------------

Far From Me (live 8/31/80) )***-“Beyond Description” bonus disc

Bonus tracks on DP21;

• Community War Memorial - Rochester, NY 9/2/80
    • Space (Garcia/Lesh/Weir)
    • Iko Iko (Crawford/B&R Hawkins/Johnson)
    • Morning Dew (Dobson/Rose)
    • Sugar Magnolia (Weir/Hunter)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 7 - 9/3 & 4/80
    Grateful Dead

Initial release : 2005
    Grateful Dead Records

The seventh in a series of shows made available by downloading from the official Grateful Dead site. Music from the Sept 3, 1980 show at Springfield, MA and the Sept 4, 1980 at Providence, RI. The downloads are available in both 128 & 256 MP3 and high quality lossless FLAC formats.

• Tracks

• Disc 1;
    o 9/3/80 Springfield, MA
    • Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo> (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Franklin's Tower> (Garcia / Kreutzmann / Hunter)
    • Mama Tried> (Haggard)
    • Mexicali Blues (Weir / Barlow)
    • Althea> (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Little Red Rooster (Dixon)
    • Candyman (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Easy To Love You (Mydland / Barlow)
    • Let It Grow> (Weir / Barlow)
    • Deal (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Feel Like A Stranger (Weir / Barlow)

• Disc 2;
    • Lost Sailor> (Weir / Barlow)
    • Saint Of Circumstance > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Jam > (Grateful Dead)
    • Drums with Brent > (Hart / Kreutzmann / Mydland)
    • Space > (Garcia / Lesh / Weir)
    • He's Gone > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Truckin' > (Garcia / Lesh / Weir / Hunter)
    • Black Peter > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Around and Around > (Berry)
    • Johnny B. Goode (Berry)
    • Brokedown Palace (Garcia / Hunter)

• Disc 3;
    o 9/4/80 Providence, RI (set 2)
    • Supplication Jam > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Estimated Prophet > (Weir / Barlow)
    • Eyes Of The World > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Space > (Garcia / Lesh / Weir)
    • The Other One > (Weir / Kreutzmann)
    • Wharf Rat > (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > (Traditional)
    • US Blues (Garcia / Hunter)

• Credits
    • Recording - Dan Healy
    • Mastering - Jeffrey Norman

Attached Files:

16. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Guess I'll have to go back and relisten to RT 1. I got it when it was released since I didn't have any '79 but was a little underwhelmed aside from a fantastic Shakedown on disc 2. I had heard a lot of talk about the Dancin' > Franklin's but it didn't do it for me. As for the bonus disc I think I listened to it once.

17. JayB

JayB Senior Member

These are ok shows (11/5 & 11/6/79) but nothing special IMO.

Things like DP 5 and 12/28/79 are much better shows.

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I just played the two Download Series shows from September '80 for the first time about a week ago, and found them extremely underwhelming. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

19. jacksondownunda

Reconstruction w/ Garcia 1979

After the departure of the Godchauxs from both th GD and JGB in early 1979, “Reconstruction” was the first new “Jerry” band to tour. Allegedly it was initially a Kahn and Saunders band, but Jerry came onboard to keep the ol’ guitar chops up and his name helped sell tix outside the Bay area. Reportedly they only played the West Coast. The origin of the name may refer to Garcia and Saunders playing together again…or the post Civil War period in America (take your likely pick).

Players were;
    Jerry Garcia-guitar, vocals
    Merl Saunders-keyboards, vocals
    John Kahn-bass
    Gaylord Birch-drums
    Ed Neumeister-trombone
    Ron Stallings-tenor sax, vocals

One might see the line-up and be tempted to think Reconstruction was Legion Of Mary MarkII, but they didn’t remind me of LOM at all live. It was more a funky jazz band with heavy emphasis on using the horns. I vaguely remember several instrumentals with very windy chord changes and lots of horn soloing, funky Merl tunes, “That’s What Love Will Make You Do” w/horns, but mostly an ear-splitting “Dear Prudence”.

The Just Jerry archive series hasn’t released a live Reconstruction cd (yet). I noticed that the 1982 Run For The Roses cd re-issue includes a few bonus tracks from Spring 1979, most notably a studio “Dear Prudence” with horns. I don’t have the personnel list handy, but there’s very good odds that it’s Reconstruction.

Attached Files:

20. jacksondownunda

After Midnight – Jerry Garcia Band 1980

Somewhere either in very late ’79 or early ’80, a new Jerry Garcia Band commenced touring. This quartet featured John Kahn on bass, Johnny De Foncesca on drums, and Ozzie Ahlers on keyboards. Jerry/Saunders/Kahn’s 1973 stuff had also been a quartet, but it appears Ahler is using a small electronic keyboard (as opposed to Saunders’ big Hammond B-3) which gave the arrangements an almost minimalist sound. This shift definitely made it Jerry’s band this time around though, featuring tons of Jerry guitar at brain-shredding volume. In fact, Ahler is so low in the mix at times that it’s almost as if Jerry’s fronting a power trio. He’s therefore really carrying the show, and it’s interesting to hear how he approaches some of the arrangements and soloing.

Kean College and Calderon Hall (Hempstead 2/29/80 bonus disc) sets were broadcast and widely tape traded as the best examples of this JGB incarnation. A unique feature of Kean is the very rare guest appearance by Robert Hunter, dropping by to rock/polka “Tiger Rose” and share the then unreleased “Promontory Rider”.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    from deaddisc.com;

After Midnight: Kean College, 2/28/80
    Jerry Garcia Band

Initial release : 2004
    Rhino R2 76536

3 CD archive release of music from the Jerry Garcia Band show at Kean College, Union, New Jersey on February 28, 1980.

Tracks

Disc 1 (Early show);
    • Sugaree (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Catfish John (McDill / Reynolds)
    • That's What Love Will Make You Do (Thigpen / Banks / Marion)
    • Simple Twist of Fate (Dylan)

Disc 2 (Early show);
    • How Sweet It Is (Holland / Dozier / Holland)
    • After Midnight (Cale)
    • Eleanor Rigby (Lennon / McCartney)
    • After Midnight (Reprise) (Cale)

Disc 3 (Late show);
    • I'll Take A Melody (Toussaint)
    • Tore Up Over You (Ballard)
    • Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Dylan)
    • The Harder They Come (Cliff)
    • Tiger Rose (Hunter)
    • Promontory Rider (Hunter)
    • Mission In The Rain (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Midnight Moonlight (Rowan)

Musicians
    • Ozzie Ahlers - keyboards, vocals
    • John Kahn - bass
    • Johnny De Foncesca - drums
    • Robert Hunter - vocals (on Tiger Rose and Promontory Rider)

Credits
    • Original recordings produced by - Jerry Garcia
    • Produced for release by - Christopher Sabec, Peter McQuaid, Hale Milgrim
    • A&R supervision - James Austin, Jimmy Edwards
    • Tape research - David Lemieux
    • Mixing - Tom Flye at Record Plant, Sausolito
    • Second engineer - Robert Gatley
    • Mastering - Joe Gastwirt at Joe's Mastering Joint
    • Editorial supervision - Steven Chean
    • CD booklet notes - Robert Hunter
    • Art direction, design - Hugh Brown, Katherine Delaney
    • Live photos - Jay Blakesberg
    • Album coordination - Jeff Adams
    • Project assistance - Reggie Collins, Leigh Hall, Matthew Abels, Randy Perry
    • Special thanks to - Annabelle Garcia McLean, Clifford Garcia, Deborah Koons Garcia, Heather Garcia Katz, Keelin Garcia, Theresa Garcia, Sunshine Garcia
    • Recorded live at Kean College, Union on February 28, 1980

Related releases;

Initial release : 2004
    JGBWAM-01

A promotion CD distributed with copies of the 3 CD After Midnight: Kean College, 2/28/80 release that were re-ordered from www.jerrygarcia.com. The bonus disc, Way After Midnight, comprised songs from the two JGB performances that followed the 2/28/1980 show; Hempstead on 2/29/1980 and Passaic on 3/1/1980;

Tracks
    • Dear Prudence (Lennon / McCartney)
    • When I Paint My Masterpiece (Dylan)
    • Russian Lullaby (Berlin)
    • That's All Right, Mama (Crudup)
    • Deal (Garcia / Hunter)

Musicians
    • Ozzie Ahlers - keyboards, vocals
    • John Kahn - bass
    • Johnny De Foncesca - drums

Notes
    The tracks are from the following shows;
    • Dear Prudence - Hempstead, 2/29/80
    • When I Paint My Masterpiece - Hempstead, 2/29/80
    • Russian Lullaby - Hempstead, 2/29/80
    • That's All Right, Mama - Passaic, 3/1/80
    • Deal - Hempstead, 2/29/80

Attached Files:

21. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

That Keane College After Midnight>Elanor Rigby>After Midnight is very tasty!

22. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

The entire Keane college show is amazing! And that bonus disc is great as well with that gorgeous Russian Lullaby. Not only are the performances great on Keane but the sound is incredible too and Jerry is in very, very fine voice. Has my favorite Sugaree of all time as well.:righton:

23. drbob932

drbob932 Member

I've managed to answer my own question here. :) Took a month from the time I ordered it, but DP-36 arrived at the door this morning. I was saving up for a wedding when this first came out, and the next thing I knew it was a collector's item...so 4 years later I finally get to hear it. I've blocked off the afternoon. :D

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

You should have a wonderful afternoon. :cheers:

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I assume this was purchased from dead.net and that would imply all of the other DPs are still available?

BTW this is a truly excellent DP and you afternoon will be a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.