Neil Gaiman's Sandman to be a Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

In the original there is an Endless "family conference" as the very next installment as a set up for A Season of Mists

Lars Medley likes this.
  2. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

I watched the whole series this weekend. While I do think the acting was very good, the story seemed very slow at times. I actually thought overall it was a bit dull.
    I wonder if Netflix will invest in a second season.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

1500?
    That seems like an awful lot of auditions to go through when you are so close to the mark so early on.

DIYmusic likes this.
  4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Here's a scene from Brief lives I'd like to see recreated: Sandman, eating with Delirium, orders a light omelet, a salad, and a glass of white wine.
    REAL IMMORTALS DON'T EAT QUICHE

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I've seen in in several different Gaiman interviews.

6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Patton Oswalt may be the deal breaker for me for this. Every time Matthew the Raven opens his beak it’s so jarring & unfitting to the tone of this that it takes me out of the show.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Scotian likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Watched the first episode yesterday and thought it was dazzling. An amazing show, as rich and beautiful as I expected, and one of the heaviest fantasy shows I've seen attempted in a long time. Really worth watching.

9. MrCJF

I've now watched the first episode, and resisted watching another. Apart from the nostalgia factor, it looks great. They skipped the references to the previous DC Sandman characters, which is a shame, but pretty much everything else is intact.

Lars Medley likes this.
  10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I like that every episode is completely different, not unlike the comics.

will_b_free and Lars Medley like this.
  11. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

8 episodes in here and I’m practically besides myself with how well Gaiman & Netflix have adapted the comic, losing next to nothing relative to the original. The casting has been note perfect so far, especially the denizens of The Dreaming. My wife, who’s never read the comics, is equally enthralled with the TV show, so it is clearly working with the TV adaption changes for non-comic readers.

Only having bought the original pre-revised colouring TPB volumes physically, I wound up buying the revised colouring versions done for the Absolute editions digitally on Comixology some time back. Currently rereading those, as well as working my way through the first volume of the Audible adaption. Never read Endless Nights (despite owning a paperback copy), Dream Hunter, either of the Death mini-series or Omnibus. Wanting a good physical copy with the revised colouring, I’m dithering between the Deluxe editions (two volumes per book, affordable), the Omnibus editions (classy leather binding, the three volumes contain all of Gaiman’s Sandman writing) and the Absolute editions (expensive, but I love my Absolute Watchmen - the only other Absolute I own - and all 5 volumes contain everything as per the Omnibus editions). Does anyone own either the Deluxes, the Omnibuses or the Absolutes and would care to comment on them?

EDIT: Gorts; If discussions of the various collected editions of the comic itself is too off-topic for the TV show thread, could the following thread be reopened?

Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" re-colored edition

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I'm curious to see what my wife thinks, she knows nothing about the comics either. It'll be interesting to see what she picks up on that I may have missed.

coffeetime likes this.
  13. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I’m not fully sure but I think the newer deluxe versions have updated colouring from the Absolute. I have digital versions of the deluxe and really liked them especially on my tablet. They’re an improvement in my opinion for the earlier issues, but the later issues didn’t really impress me and I preferred the original colouring.

I am curious how people who are not familiar with the books react to the show. The Dolls House storyline was not exactly easy to read or enjoy in the books but laid down so much foundation for the future of the story.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The Absolute editions of Sandman, covering the full run (issues 1-75), came out in four volumes over 2006 through 2008. Then they issued a volume 5 in 2011 (collecting other Sandman material), and an Absolute Death edition in 2020 (collecting the Death character's mini-series and other materials). With the Absolute editions, they completely recolored issues 1 through 18. Beyond issue 18, they did some recoloring here and there, but in a much more limited way or more subtle changes. All of the reprints and trade paperbacks since about 2010 (or maybe even a little earlier) have used the recolored versions, and all the digital editions nowadays are the recolored versions (not sure if there was ever digital versions with the original coloring). The exception is the annotated edition of Sandman, which presents the art in black & white with commentary in the margins.

Fans have different opinions on the original versus new coloring. But it hasn't become as contentious as fans arguing about the original versus specialized editions of Star Wars. The original coloring looks more expressionist or garish (depending on whether you want to describe it kindly or unkindly). The new coloring looks prettier or drab (depending on whether you want to describe it kindly or unkindly).

This reddit thread covers some of the pros and cons of the various editions.

I personally like reading comics digitally now: I like how the pages "lay flat" on a screen, versus with a trade paperback, and my aging eyes appreciate being able to enlarge the text and images. The oversized Absolute book editions help with both things, but I find them too heavy and bulky to handle, like when you want to lay back in a sofa to read the comic. I would put my money towards a larger size iPad, rather than buy a bunch of $100 Absolute editions, but that's my personal preference. (By the way, I still find it weird that they often price deluxe or omnibus editions in digital format more than the standard editions: that price difference makes sense in print, when a deluxe or omnibus edition may be printed with hardcover, a larger size and on better paper, but those differences don't exist in digital format!)

As a separate thing from the new coloring, here are a couple interesting changes that were made in the trade paperback editions of Sandman, versus the original single issues. In issue 4, a double page spread by Sam Keith (when Dream first meets Lucifer Morningstar) was redrawn for the trade paperback as two separate single pages by Mike Dringenberg (who replaced Sam Keith after issue 5). You can see Keith's versus Dringenberg's pages here. Someone also noticed how the current trades do not include the outline of a door that Dream draws in issue 7, see here.

I don't think there's enough interest on this forum about the comic book itself to keep a separate thread noticed or going. And I think discussing it here shouldn't derail this thread too much to annoy people. But I think people who discuss the comic book in this thread should be mindful to use spoiler tags when they talk about spoilers in the comic book beyond where the TV show ends, or deviations in the comic book from the TV show that spoil the comic book version of the story.

Note: On this forum, people can use spoiler tags like this:
    HTML:
    [spoiler]insert your spoilers between these bracketed tags[/spoiler]

Lars Medley and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Just started this and it's very good. The first episode was done so well.

16. MrCJF

I'm going to try and space this out, rather than binge. I'm watching a few different series at the moment, so I'll probably watch an episode every 3 or 4 days. Enough time to digest the content but frequent enough not to forget details. (I hope).
    I watched the whole of Stranger Things recently at a rate of one or two episodes per night, and now I feel like I rushed it.

Veltri likes this.
  17. MrCJF

I think A Game of You (4th? big story arc) was a real game changer in terms of how gender politics was portrayed in mainstream (ie DC or Marvel) comics. Possibly one of Karen Berger's aims when she established the Vertigo offshoot for DC.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  18. I'm halfway through. This really is a special show. Great care was taken with it, despite the changes from the comics. Even the changes aren't bad. I like how some aspects are expanded on in the show, that we didn't get in the comic.

The only misstep through my eyes was Ep.3. That was way too pretty and "too-Hollywood" for my tastes. Otherwise, what followed in Eps. 4-5 was nigh perfect. The trip to Hell was amazing, and Ep.5, "24/7" hit all of the right marks. Perhaps the beginning of Ep.5 took too long to ddvelop, but hey, these are mere nitpicks; it was very enjoyable.

I've read that the show is doing very well so far. Word of mouth has been hype. This is a good thing, because clearly the show is setting up events for the long haul. There are a lot of subtle, and not-so-subtle things happening. Mad Hattie dropped the line that Morpheus will be looking for
    his son
    . That doesn't pay off until much later.

The show is class.

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I watched all ten episodes.

Peaked with episode 5 ("24/7", surely David Lynch directed this one) and episode 6 ("The Sound Of Her Wings", on death and immortality).

After that there was an extended arc with new characters, less fantastical and lush IMHO, but still good.

--Geoff

Lars Medley likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched 4 episodes. My other half has the graphic novels and I skimmed through them many years ago.

I'm enjoying it. I dont have any real feeling for the source so I'm not too upset by anything. However, as mentioned Patton Oswalt in this show does grate a little. I was a real fan of his but he has gone down in my estimations recently.

I think the producers must have been fans of "Goodness Gracious Me" back in the 90's.

21. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Nice steady pace for the first two episodes - no hurrying through. Rather a Peter Jackson sort of pace. I approve.

22. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

love this , like the recent "Saul", the pace suits the storyline
    quality TV in abundance , available in 2022

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Episodes 1 to 6 were great. But 7 and 8...hmmm okay. Got 9 and 10 to watch tonight.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There'a a new episode up....Ep. 11 !!!!
    It's a secret...don't tell anybody....

25. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Oh wow -- Netflix just added a bonus, eleventh episode of Sandman, covering the "Calliope" and "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" stories (independent stories from #17 & #18 of the comic book).

Perhaps we will also get something for the "A Midsummer's Night's Dream" and "Facade" stories (independent stories from #19 & #20 of the comic book), which would lead into "Season of the Mist" as the long story arc for a season 2.

[​IMG]

MrCJF likes this.