New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I dunno, this just seems like its a marketing campaign for a cologne or clothing line.

Jacline likes this.
  2. INSW

INSW Senior Member

He's apparently agreed to let somebody at hq post a few photos around the interwebs. At a time when 99.5% of music consumers get their music and music news on the interwebs. This qualifies as ongoing, gratuitous self-promotion?

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I cancelled my preorder of the album because it comes in a sleeve with pictures on it. What is even worse is that I am sure there will be a label on the CD with the song titles on it.

4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

It’s not gratuitous. But it is a little hokey. Rich suburban guy from NJ that drives a fleet of Range Rovers trying to act like he’s a cowboy...

Jacline, JoeF., Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  5. windfall

windfall Senior Member

When was pop music NOT about image? Jeepers. Talk about a tough crowd.

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Really, compared to many promotional campaigns these days, this one has been relatively low-key. I don't care for the cowboy motif myself (including the cover), but it doesn't matter. What matters is the music.

7. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just hope that the cowboy hat doesn't equal having to listen to Outlaw Pete in concert again.

Jacline, daveidmarx, JoeF. and 7 others like this.
  8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Anyone who lives on a farm, as The BOSS does, is, by definition, a cowboy. Or a farm boy. I don't exactly know what I'm talking about, to be honest with you all.

NunoBento and Dr. Zoom like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

True, and he has been trying to act like a number of characters over the years, at least publicly, to promote his work and myth. It has to be interesting portraying a working class, blue collar, cowboy, activist, social victim hybrid while managing a net worth of half a billion dollars. There is Springsteen the carefully crafted public persona, and then there is the other Springsteen few fans really know. Perhaps on occasion he is a bit of both.

Jacline, PepiJean, JoeF. and 4 others like this.
  10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Its ok. Ill probably buy the calendar. Might not buy the album.

FingerPickin'Triumph likes this.
  11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Yes. The first one is an untouchable icon and the second is an insecure, troubled man. Both are genius songwriters and (underline and) really cool people. Really cool.

The first one is for the masses, the second is for us. Let our Bruce build his persona to the other millions. We know who he is. He deserves all the credit.

ragged company likes this.
  12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Tough crowd!

13. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

The worst sort of excuse, "It's my job".

Clearly he has not forgone the "hits" or his need to have "hits" as evidenced by the gratuitous tweet.

As you said, music and music news. This is neither, and clearly qualifies as gratuitous (superfluous/lacking good reason/voluntary).

See above.

Yes, what matters is the music. I'm hopeful for the music this time after a 30+ year lull. But this is not about the music. I think it's been established this is about the image. And I find that pretty pathetic (in most ways) for a man of his illustrious musical success. To quote a line from the movie Chinatown, "How well can he eat?"

14. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I think that might be a bit much.
    But I will concede that his marketing has turned me off in recent years. Probably because a good amount of the music behind it has been sub par.

Jacline, The MEZ and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  15. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

there's just something about "rootsy" multi millionaires and their "peoples art". lol.

Jimmy B. and The MEZ like this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Anyway, the pictures aren’t all that important. Let’s see how the music is. We’ll know in June.

babyblue and NunoBento like this.
  17. Python

Python Forum Resident

Not to beat a dead horse, but does the guy (or his heirs) really need more money at this point? I think the book was great, the Broadway show was essentially a live version of the book - but three months would have been plenty. It was recorded, you can listen to the album or watch the video, over and done. I don't see how the man himself couldn't have been bored out of his mind doing pretty much the exact same thing every night (just as I don't see how Roger Waters couldn't have been bored out of his mind doing The Wall live over and over for years).

The longer that Broadway thing dragged on, the longer it took to release this new one, and its (presumably) subsequent solo tour, and then making the E Street album, and then its tour, etc., all delayed as well...the guy ain't getting any younger, nor is his band (obviously!) and, we must all admit, nor are his fans!

He's made so much great music and done so many great shows, he certainly doesn't "owe" us anything - and to be honest, I don't think he's made a decent album since Magic and a really good one since Tunnel Of Love - but as a fan, I do hate to see him, in my opinion, "waste" time, whether on the lame River II Tour or the endless Broadway snooze...

Jacline, Jimmy B. and The MEZ like this.
  18. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

And to think I bit my tongue while writing it out :).

Jacline likes this.
  19. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not so delicate as to be turned off by a few pictures posted to twitter.. to get album sales he could have put auto-tune all over the record, had a bunch of pop stars the young people like guest star and made each song just over 1 minute long to maximize streams. Instead he looks to have made a record part-country indebted to era/sound in country music that today's country music has long forgotten. Yeah cash grab this ain't.

OptimisticGoat and Martin Byrne like this.
  20. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

I guess you're right. Springsteen should be pimping his image to boost the sales. God knows he's just over half-way to catching up to AC/DC who have only ever promoted their music.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect his professional motivations are not driven by commerce at this point. With respect to the Broadway show, there had to have been a healthy dose of ego to do that show on a nightly basis

It was rumored he had an album ready to go for quite some time, but it is unclear if this was the one. The Broadway thing dragged out, quite possibly because he was enjoying it, and also because he allegedly wanted to stay close to home for personal reasons.

Agreed...especially with your assessment on the albums (although I classify ToL as his last great album).

Jacline likes this.
  22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

He was paid a long time ago for this record he’ll soon be releasing ($101 million if I recall correctly). The money is already in the bank.

The horsey cover is ok I guess. At least its better than High Hopes.

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Image and persona torn to shreds in SHF thread shock. And yet when Bowie does it, he’s a genius!

24. siebrand

siebrand music lover

nice track. didn't know it... (and... never heard of Danny o'Keefe...)

thanx for putting it here.... :)

stanlove likes this.
  25. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Dollars, you mean... $
    or, in my case... "EURO's..."

JoeF. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.