Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I despise Nick Drake and everything he represents.

His cult glamourises and romantices depression.

His music is dour , sad and self pity . It's harmful because makes people takes comfort in sadness and stay at home watching leaves falling down instead of get out and take the reins of your life

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

3. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I don’t think you’ve listened to enough Nick Drake. Only Pink Moon fits your description.

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That description applies to quite a lot of music, including quite a big proportion of 1990s indie-pop, and grunge in particular. There must be an awful lot of music that you despise.

5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

You should go see a psychiatrist before your depression gets the better of you.
    Oh, and while you’re at it, maybe take a writing class at your local community college.

6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

No, I'm not depressive. Thank you.
    And English is not my language. I don't use Google translator. I dare you to write in Spanish or Catalan and let's see your accuracy.
    Go cry somewhere else, Mr take-it-personally

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

wow! thread has taken a weird turn

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Steven Wilson, who has often been known to write sad or depressive songs, had this to say - that listening to sad lyrics may not necessarily make one sad. It can have a therapeutic effect, if it makes you realise that you are not totally alone in whatever your experiences are that are making you depressed.

Elton John summed it up:

9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Some of the greatest music ever made is dour, sad and self-pitying, so I don't see a problem - apart from the fact that it doesn't describe Nick Drake's music in anything other than the most superficial way. Played it on Spotify once?

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Maybe Sear should try listening to some upbeat and happy hip-hop.

peskypesky likes this.
  11. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i mean i assume he was taking the piss.

12. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

In 1991 I was in London and had planned to travel a couple hours away to Tanworth-in-Arden and visit Far Leys, the home where Nick grew up and ultimately died in. Last minute plans derailed that visit for over 25 years until 2017 when my family and I made the side-trip while in the UK. I had a chance to visit the local church where the family donated an organ as well as the site where he was laid to rest. It's a small village so it's all within walking distance. It took many, many years but I am so grateful I had the chance to do it.

"Now we rise and we are everywhere.”

The above verse on his headstone is a fitting reflection of the man’s beautiful music and short life.

Sad songs say so much.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Here's my take on this:
    I suffered from undiagnosed depression for MANY years in my late teens and early 20s. I look back now and see that my choices in music, literature and film were largely driven by that depression. I listened to Joy Division, the Smiths, Nick Drake, the Cure (before they were pop)...I read Camus, Salinger, Sartre, Walker Percy, Ann Sexton....I watched a lot of Bergman.

I guess it's pretty obvious that I needed the art in my life to express or reflect what I was feeling inside. It's what I could relate to.

Since being successfully treated for depression, my intake of the depressive art and literature definitely decreased. I still love it and respect it....but I don't expose myself to it as much, because it doesn't reflect how I feel most of the time.

The truth is, a LOT of art comes from people who suffer from psychiatric disorders. A lot of art flows from the "artistic wound". Even someone like Bruce Springsteen, who is so EXUBERANT onstage, has admitted he has suffered from depression.

Nick Drake is just one of thousands, tens of thousands, of great artists whose music was to a large extent a "fruit" of his depression.

I wish he and so many other artists who killed themselves one way or another, had been lucky like me, and had been treated successfully.

Nick Drake, Sylvia Plath, Vincent Van Gogh, Townes Van Zandt, Jim Morrison, Ian Curtis, Ann Sexton, Kurt Cobain, Elliott Smith, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

14. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

Nick Drake's music can be quite playful, romantic, and uplifting. You despise those things in life too?

I know people who are only alive because of Pink Moon. Your argument holds no water.

15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

You tell someone to ‘go cry somewhere else’ but you wrote this garbage?

:sigh:

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

His music is cathartic. It is beautiful, filled with gorgeous poetic imagery and some of the finest and most expressive musical accompaniment to grace any album you can think of. That he was able to plumb the depths of his own sadness and troubles and render it all in the form of such amazing music is a tribute to the human spirits need to create, to fly, and damn the sadness that looks to bury you. This is music that transcends depression, rises above it all.
    It's also grand music to play on a beautiful, sunny morning.

17. EddieMann

Tell you what, I’ll apologize for the language thing. Next time I’ll read someone’s info before making a comment like that. But I will not apologize for my other statement. Get a grip. Bwaaa!

18. EddieMann

We did the same thing this summer. Planned our whole UK trip so we could visit his village. Very moving experience. Of course, it’s obviously not for everyone.

19. EddieMann

Sorry, I left the garden gate open. :)

20. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Glad you & family were able to do it. Yes, I agree. A moving experience.

EddieMann and Jarleboy like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Does anyone actually know what Pink Moon - the song, that is - is about? There is obviously some kind of imagery there, but it's not imagery tht I am familiar with. There seems to be a vague message that some kind of day of reckoning is at hand, but why a "pink moon"?

Shaddam IV and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This is a proper reply, regardless I agree or not

AlmanacZinger, EddieMann and Jarleboy like this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

If I ever found myself in that part of the country, are there things identifiable as worth seeing, without imposing on the locals too much?

peopleareleaving likes this.
  24. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

This is one of my "bucket list" items, I'm in the US, so it will definitely be a once in a lifetime trip. Well worth it though, I imagine.

25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I own the three albums and the time of no reply compilation, so I know what I'm talking about

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.